Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson Article this morning

Well, as we’re going to church making our kids Sunday breakfast and for me workout before the game, I read on TBD the beginning of the article to extend these two, and unfortunately I refuse to pay monthly for BN articles.  Anyone who wants to send a link for the rest of us, great.  I just agree with what I read.  Lawson has played better and better each year, and Murphy is not worth his contract.  I’d rather give Lawson a reasonable contract extension and a show of good faith.  He knows he hasn’t been the best the entire bid here, so I think he would take a fair offer.

Jordan Phillips has definitely earned an extension.  It was funny, Sal C. Mentioned this week on one of his spots that although the smaller Oliver is actually a better run stuffer, but the larger Phillips is better at penetrating one the pass and sacking or pressuring the QB on pass plays.  My humble opinion is he earned a fair extension.  I’m not a capologist so not sure what that would look like, but the earlier we offer extensions, the better price we get these two.   Overall, much of 5is large cap space on a side not needs to be at extending these solid players like Milano, and White while we can and purge the dead weight like Murphy.

I started this as I imagine each of you have you’re own thoughts, and happy to listening to similar or opposing views.  Go Bills, and beat the crap out of the Broncos today.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, as we’re going to church making our kids Sunday breakfast and for me workout before the game, I read on TBD the beginning of the article to extend these two, and unfortunately I refuse to pay monthly for BN articles.  Anyone who wants to send a link for the rest of us, great.  I just agree with what I read.  Lawson has played better and better each year, and Murphy is not worth his contract.  I’d rather give Lawson a reasonable contract extension and a show of good faith.  He knows he hasn’t been the best the entire bid here, so I think he would take a fair offer.

Jordan Phillips has definitely earned an extension.  It was funny, Sal C. Mentioned this week on one of his spots that although the smaller Oliver is actually a better run stuffer, but the larger Phillips is better at penetrating one the pass and sacking or pressuring the QB on pass plays.  My humble opinion is he earned a fair extension.  I’m not a capologist so not sure what that would look like, but the earlier we offer extensions, the better price we get these two.   Overall, much of 5is large cap space on a side not needs to be at extending these solid players like Milano, and White while we can and purge the dead weight like Murphy.

I started this as I imagine each of you have you’re own thoughts, and happy to listening to similar or opposing views.  Go Bills, and beat the crap out of the Broncos today.  

Happy Sunday to you- Jordan Phillips has earned a nice contract extension. I would like to see him locked up for 3 years at 6-7 mil per. Shaq has definitely grown but just isn’t an elite DE but definitely solid. IMO Shaq should get 2 years, 5 mil per. Anyways stadium for me soon go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Happy Sunday to you- Jordan Phillips has earned a nice contract extension. I would like to see him locked up for 3 years at 6-7 mil per. Shaq has definitely grown but just isn’t an elite DE but definitely solid. IMO Shaq should get 2 years, 5 mil per. Anyways stadium for me soon go Bills! 

$6-7M won’t get it done. He’s very likely to be offered $8-10 in FA. He leads the League in sacks by a DT. No team doesn’t want that!

• Like (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Phillips is a no brainer to be resigned. 

Lawson is playing ok but your main job as a DE is sacks and pressures. I think he is a good rotational player and if the price is right I would want him back.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

$6-7M won’t get it done. He’s very likely to be offered $8-10 in FA. He leads the League in sacks by a DT. No team doesn’t want that!

If Phillips gets to 10 sacks in the season he can easily get $6-8M a year for a 4 year contract...I think the Bills will extend him. 

The Bills also have to extend Poyer who has played at a very high level.   They will be drafting a CB in the 1st round next year.

Both have value.  Phillips more eye catching plays and you'd think he would be a priority.  Hopefully Beane feels the same.  Lawson is an OK puzzle piece.  I'm not against re-signing him, but with the available cash and another draft I think he can be replaced.  If kept I hope it is in more of a depth role.

If my math is correct the Bills save like $16Mish in cap space if they let Long, Murphy and Kroft go. Those feel like easy decisions to me. I’d turn around and hand some of that back to Lawson and Phillips. You can bring them both back and STILL have more cap savings than you were projected to have. 

Phillips is in line for a pretty good raise and Lawson is a really solid player. You can still draft or sign other DL as well but making those couple of moves really raises the floor for the Bills DL.

• Like (+1) 4

I think they manage to re-sign Phillips. He wants to be here too. I think he really bought into the whole “culture” and “identity”. He spoke in an ESPN article about the team saying basically, “Buffalo is like a college town, it’s more what I expected when I came into the league, in Miami people didn’t care about the football team like they do in Buffalo”. 

• Like (+1) 3

You didn’t miss anything, it wasn’t an article about them, it was a q&a and the entire answer to that question was included in the Two Bills Drive summary. 

So so far as extending, yesterday on Sirius XM NFL Radio I heard a former GM talking (sorry, don’t remember the name). He said with a new agreement coming up soon, teams should go all out on extending all players they think may be part of their future. The cap will go up significantly and salaries with it. He twice said it’s like if you had 100% guarantee the stock market will go up, then you should invest as much as possible. He went on to say that agents should be advising clients to not sign extensions because they will be leaving significant money on the table.

7 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Star has 3 years left at $27M.  By comparison, Corey Liuget is league minimum.  They should offer Phillips the remainder of Star's contract, plus maybe another $3M.

Star's guaranteed money doesn't permit that math, and letting Star go just opens up another hole they have to fill.

Star will be around at least one more year and probably 2, based on his guaranteed $$. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

He leads the league! And remember, unlike when Dareus had a standout year, we have no one else on the DL to really worry about.  It makes it that much more impressive if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

He leads the league! And remember, unlike when Dareus had a standout year, we have no one else on the DL to really worry about.  It makes it that much more impressive if you ask me.

I agree with this. This defense is a great fit for him and he’s only 27. It’s a good fit from both sides. Git er done. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Star's guaranteed money doesn't permit that math

Star's guarantees are already earned and paid.  There is a ~$7M cap hit if released in 2020.  Since cap space is not a concern, the only question is whether Star is worth $8M for 2020.  I might be wrong, but I think he can be quite easily replaced with a hungry vet like Corey on a one-year prove it deal. 

• $18.5M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + $2M of 2019 salary)
  • Remaining $5.15M of 2019 salary & $1M roster bonus fully guarantee on 3/17/2019
  • Like (+1) 1