Steelers QB Mason Rudolph fined $50K by NFL

stosh64

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

I just Rewatched it. ok...it was more like a spin takedown. Rudolph threw the ball. he was spun down to the ground almost 3 seconds later. He's not my QB, I have no horse in this race. But I Definately consider that roughing the passer. jmo

For the record, the Bills have stated that the gator roll technique is what they teach to bring the QB down without landing on him with full body weight and drawing the personal foul.  Again, how would Garrett know the ball was out?  The ball is released almost behind his head.  

8 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

For the record, the Bills have stated that the gator roll technique is what they teach to bring the QB down without landing on him with full body weight and drawing the personal foul.  Again, how would Garrett know the ball was out?  The ball is released almost behind his head.  

I agree with the teaching point there. However, and this might just be my opinion, and completely off base, but man...the ball was gone almost 3 full seconds before the gator roll. To me, that is as borderline roughing the passer as I've seen. again, just my opinion

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

And you are entitled to your opinion.  It's a shame this whole thing happened...especially with only seconds left in the game.  It marred a solid Cleveland win.  I agree with Garrett's suspension, but not indefinitely.  It should be a finite number of games, even if it does extend into next season.

I think the difference between finite and indefinite was solely based on the fact that he used the helmet as a weapon. that's borderline assault. If he hit him with the crown of the helmet instead, this could very well be a serious medical concern. and for the record, Ogunjobi is a complete punk

Edited by BuffAlone

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I agree with the teaching point there. However, and this might just be my opinion, and completely off base, but man...the ball was gone almost 3 full seconds before the gator roll. To me, that is as borderline roughing the passer as I've seen. again, just my opinion

I think the difference between finite and indefinite was solely based on the fact that he used the helmet as a weapon. that's borderline assault. If he hit him with the crown of the helmet instead, this could very well be a serious medical concern. and for the record, Ogunjobi is a complete punk

Totally agree.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Seems light to me.  If he succeeded in actually getting the helmet off, it may have gotten more.   I don’t know how they are explaining away the groin kick though.  

I still think he should have been suspended one game. 

Virgil - there was no groin kick.  There was a foot that was in the groin the Rudolph was pushing off with as Garrett is lifting him off the ground by his face mask.  

He did not even making a kicking motion - it was a groin push off with a guy lifting you by you face. 

I think the fine was ok - would not have been upset if higher, but based on outcomes previously- seems about right.  

Now if there is any proof of a slur - which I doubt - I think a suspension is warranted.

2 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Interesting response - Rudolph fined for struggling to get out from under a player bent on keeping him on the ground.  NASCAR has nothing on the NFL.

He really wasn't fined for that.  I believe it was charging after Garrett after Garret pulled his helmet off, when some of his OLmen were already intervening, holding Garrett away.

I’ll look it up again but the rule book says nothing about trying to rip a helmet off. There is a penalty for actually pulling another players helmet off. 

Rudoffs attempt to pull Garret’s helmet off was the equivalent of a 10 year old trying to tackle a college RB.

Garret successfully ripped Rudoffs helmet off and used it as a weapon. Garret should be the only player that is suspended and fined. 

If im Rudoff I’m fighting this one until the bitter end.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’ll look it up again but the rule book says nothing about trying to rip a helmet off. There is a penalty for actually pulling another players helmet off. 

Rudoffs attempt to pull Garret’s helmet off was the equivalent of a 10 year old trying to tackle a college RB.

Garret successfully ripped Rudoffs helmet off and used it as a weapon. Garret should be the only player that is suspended and fined. 

TBH, if Rudolph wants to have a career and respect in the league given the various opinions of defensive players I've heard....he should probably try to meet quietly with Garrett and settle their differences man-to-man, tell him, "look, I know you believe that's what you heard but I swear to God I didn't say that, we were both seeing red obviously" and see if they can apologize and clear the air.  Then go to the NFL in support of making Garrett's suspension definite. 

Because it seems as though right now, he's being seen by various defenders as sort of a dog who "picked a bone" and then got someone else to carry it for him, so to speak.  For examples, 'Zo Alexander in "the Lo Down" and Jalen Ramsey/Le'Veon Bell in the "17 Weeks Uninterrupted" podcast.

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think they fined Rudolph for the potty mouth.

tenor.gif

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Okay with lip reading but no expert.  It looks like he called him a bastard.

Rudolph is obviously calling Ogunjobi a bench.

My theory: after getting wac-a-mole'd just a few seconds prior, Rudolph momentarily confused Ogunjobi for MLB legend Johnny Bench.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

The fine for  Rudolph is good for me. He has to pay some price. BUT.........This didn’t start when they were on the ground. This started when Garrett wrapped him up and threw him down late with bad intentions. I’m not losing sight of that. Right or wrong, I wouldn’t just walk away either after my helmet was ripped off. I’d let him know what a D-Bag he was. Too bad Garrett STILL couldn’t control himself.

I’d take the fine and try to move on, patching things up if possible to take the high road. Hard to do when emotions are that high, but move on like the bigger man. Garrett has a history. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I agree. Except that that’s not the only reason I gave. :rolleyes:

You left out the part that by then time Rudolph's foot got to Garrett's thigh (not balls), Garrett was already lifting him off the ground by his facemask.

Rudolph had just been sacked twice in a row in a blowout game and then took a hard hot after a shovel pass by Garrett on the final play of the game.  

$50K fine is BS.  If that hit happened to Josh Allen at that point in a game like that and he reacted as Rudolph did, this board would be burning up if Allen got any fine at all--and rightly so.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Interesting response - Rudolph fined for struggling to get out from under a player bent on keeping him on the ground.  NASCAR has nothing on the NFL.

Exactly.  First time I’ve ever seen a guy “start the whole thing” while he’s being pinned to the ground.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

can you imagine the dirtiest cheap shots that have been inflicted in NFL history yet Garrett was the first to react with this insane and rabid reaction?

The dirtiest cheap shot was Gronk on Tre White, yet that only got Gronk a one game suspension, why is Garrett indefinitely suspended ?

I'll answer my own question ... Because Gronk is a patriot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, if Rudolph wants to have a career and respect in the league given the various opinions of defensive players I've heard....he should probably try to meet quietly with Garrett and settle their differences man-to-man, tell him, "look, I know you believe that's what you heard but I swear to God I didn't say that, we were both seeing red obviously" and see if they can apologize and clear the air.  Then go to the NFL in support of making Garrett's suspension definite. 

Because it seems as though right now, he's being seen by various defenders as sort of a dog who "picked a bone" and then got someone else to carry it for him, so to speak.  For examples, 'Zo Alexander in "the Lo Down" and Jalen Ramsey/Le'Veon Bell in the "17 Weeks Uninterrupted" podcast.

Why should an innocent person apologize for anything? If Rudolph didn't say it, he should hold firm. Good PR stunt could actually make him seem guiltier to some people.

"Only reason he's doing this is cus he did it.!"  - you'll see this everywhere

2 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Why should an innocent person apologize for anything? If Rudolph didn't say it, he should hold firm. Good PR stunt could actually make him seem guiltier to some people.

"Only reason he's doing this is cus he did it.!"  - you'll see this everywhere

Rudolph in fact has apologized in public for what he acknowledges doing.