Steelers QB Mason Rudolph fined $50K by NFL

stosh64

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that’s like a $30 parking ticket to the average WNY’er.

It's really not, these fines are significant. 

50K fine divided by 980K salary = 5% of his pay

$30 fine divided by a $50K salary = .06 of that persons pay

• Like (+1) 1

Seems light to me.  If he succeeded in actually getting the helmet off, it may have gotten more.   I don’t know how they are explaining away the groin kick though.  

I still think he should have been suspended one game. 

• Like (+1) 1

So he got fined for someone hitting him in the head with his own helmet? 

I see this this like a bar fight, you have two guys talking ***** to each other but one guy escalates it and punch’s the other guy. The guy that throws the punch always spends the night in jail. 

If I was Rudolph I would appeal the ***** out of this. I would also now be in full blown I’m pressing charges for assault mode.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Rudolph started the whole thing. Should have gotten at least a game. If he didn’t react by trying to take Garrett’s helmet off, none of that would have ever happened. 50k is getting off easy IMO...

he was hit WAY late. then drove to the ground. Then reacted. He didn't deserve a fine at all, let alone a suspension! ridiculous

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

he was hit WAY late. then drove to the ground. Then reacted. He didn't deserve a fine at all, let alone a suspension! ridiculous

I disagree with that narrative.  The throw was made with Garrett within a step.  He was so close, within inches actually,  that Rudolph could only make a push of a throw.  There is no way that a defender in that position can know if the ball was out unless he can see out his ear hole.  He did wrap and then take him down late with a gator roll but, again, the defender could not know if the ball was actually delivered.   That's the way to take a QB down without landing on him with his full weight which would be a penalty.  Garrett hits the ground first and Rudolph lands on top of him and then is rolled to the side.  They are then face to face.  Rudolph has played an awful game, just gotten rag dolled to the ground and takes exception to it and for some reason attempts to remove Garrett's helmet.  Mayhem results.

I'll bet the Bills defenders have problems with Rudolph too.  He seems like that kind of player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Completely disagree. Go back and watch. He tried to rip Garrett’s helmet off first. I’m not even sure how this is debatable. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Completely disagree. Go back and watch. He tried to rip Garrett’s helmet off first. I’m not even sure how this is debatable. 

Exactly. He was being a jagoff way before he received the helmet smash. Rudolph is the lesser transgressor here for sure but he's not without blame. Tearing off someone's helmet on purpose is not nothing.  

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Rudolph started the whole thing. Should have gotten at least a game. If he didn’t react by trying to take Garrett’s helmet off, none of that would have ever happened. 50k is getting off easy IMO...

Dude, helmets don't come off on their own nearly as much as they wind up off.  That means players pull other players helmets off not infrequently.  Look at the Tre White INT after the first MIA game.  He is rolling on the ground head to head with the Miami receiver and the Mia player pulls Tre's helmet off, probably trying to get Tre to let go of the ball and make the INT less clear-cut.  Or maybe just venting.  Tre gets to his feet and runs off with the ball.

Pulling at a guy's helmet is not an offense that is usually fined.  Even pulling it off isn't usually fined.

All that said, I agree that Rudolph should be fined.  And if he wasn't the QB on a QB-down team, he probably would get a game.

29 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I disagree with that narrative.  The throw was made with Garrett within a step.  He was so close, within inches actually,  that Rudolph could only make a push of a throw.  There is no way that a defender in that position can know if the ball was out unless he can see out his ear hole.  He did wrap and then take him down late with a gator roll but, again, the defender could not know if the ball was actually delivered.   That's the way to take a QB down without landing on him with his full weight which would be a penalty.  Garrett hits the ground first and Rudolph lands on top of him and then is rolled to the side.  They are then face to face.  Rudolph has played an awful game, just gotten rag dolled to the ground and takes exception to it and for some reason attempts to remove Garrett's helmet.  Mayhem results.

I'll bet the Bills defenders have problems with Rudolph too.  He seems like that kind of player.

we agree to disagree. I watched that play many times. the ball was out 3 Full seconds before Garrett threw him down

17 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

yes...he grabbed him by the facemask. Why? because the ball was LONG gone before Garrett threw him to the ground. I've watched the play a dozen times. it was a late hit/roughing the passer. Rudolph took exception to it and jerked his facemask. Thats what happened. even Ray Charles could see that

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

What game were you watching?  It wasn't a late hit and he wasn't driven to the ground.  Garrett shouldn't have swung the helmet, but Rudolph started it, then like a little banty rooster, kept going at Garrett.  Rudolph got off easy in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like we do agree.  I said that the tackle was late but the contact was not.  Garrett had him wrapped and then gator rolled to bring him down.  How exactly would he know the ball was out?  His eyes were inches from Rudolph when the throw was made.  The throw was made out of his field of vision and there would be no whistle to stop the play in that  situation.  That was more of a takedown than a throw or a tackle.  Phrases used by others like "drove him into the ground" or "landed on him" do not fit what that video shows.

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

we agree to disagree. I watched that play many times. the ball was out 3 Full seconds before Garrett threw him down

Just now, jkeerie said:

What game were you watching?  It wasn't a late hit and he wasn't driven to the ground.  Garrett shouldn't have swung the helmet, but Rudolph started it, then like a little banty rooster, kept going at Garrett.  Rudolph got off easy in my opinion.

I just Rewatched it. ok...it was more like a spin takedown. Rudolph threw the ball. he was spun down to the ground almost 3 seconds later. He's not my QB, I have no horse in this race. But I Definately consider that roughing the passer. jmo

Just now, BuffAlone said:

I just Rewatched it. ok...it was more like a spin takedown. Rudolph threw the ball. he was spun down to the ground almost 3 seconds later. He's not my QB, I have no horse in this race. But I Definately consider that roughing the passer. jmo

And you are entitled to your opinion.  It's a shame this whole thing happened...especially with only seconds left in the game.  It marred a solid Cleveland win.  I agree with Garrett's suspension, but not indefinitely.  It should be a finite number of games, even if it does extend into next season.

• Like (+1) 1

That seems fair.  Rudoph started it by saying "Man I need some Oxycontin." Garrett misheard and thought he said "Go back to picking cotton" to which he thought an appropriate response would be to rip his helmet off and bashing him in the head with it.  That's at least how I saw it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1