Joe B Bills-Broncos preview

The Athletic, paywall (free trial)

-he thinks the 3 WR look might get the Broncos to sub someone for one of the 3 DL they use in a base defense.  Not sure on that.

-he likes the no-huddle idea to bring the Bills to the line faster and let Daboll have a chance to say something if he sees something

-Cody Ford vs Von Miller and Cole Beasley vs Duke Dawson likely to be key matchups.  I agree, and for that reason I would think we may be seeing more of either Kroft or Lee Smith to help with Miller (12 personnel)

-on Defense, Tre White vs Sutton and the ability of Shaq and Hughes to disrupt may be key

Predicted outcome: Buffalo 13, Denver 10

-

Seems like a fair assessment from your recap (don’t have access) and his score prediction seems conservative but fair. I really hope/slightly expect our offense to find early success moving the ball which should let us put pressure on Allen and cause some turnovers. We’re do for a multi-turnover day.

Will be a high scoring game. Josh Allen will have running opportunities which set up pass. Von Miller can be contained with some misdirection. The experts predicting low scoring game are not thinking outside the box. So easy to go along with the popular opinion (See also Josh Rosen 2018). 

Cody Ford has struggled so far this season and this is a HUGE matchup.  The Broncos are better than their record and in particular on D.  I think we need to run counters, draws, and QB options to nuetralize Von Miller, or he could easily eat Ford alive and have a good game.  Key matchup is actually JA v Von Miller in the QB option IMHO.  

2 keys unique to this game  (winning the turnover battle and not getting too many penalties applies to every game):

1)Neutralize Von Miller--3 ways to accomplish this:

a)steady diet of Gore/Singletary, especially counter plays 

b)give Ford help (and by help I don't mean Lee Smith drawing a holding penalty)

c)short routes to Beasley so that Allen won't get hit/sacked when Miller beats the OL (and it will happen--more than once)

2)Put pressure on Allen: blitz Edmunds and Milano just like last week

26 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Cody Ford has struggled so far this season and this is a HUGE matchup.  The Broncos are better than their record and in particular on D.  I think we need to run counters, draws, and QB options to nuetralize Von Miller, or he could easily eat Ford alive and have a good game.  Key matchup is actually JA v Von Miller in the QB option IMHO.  

Definitely need to run the ball well and Allen will need to recognize when to change a play. Good test for him and this team!

53 minutes ago, Virgil said:

No one wants to see Lee Smith anywhere besides the waiver wire

I'd rather see Lee Smith on the field and eat a couple penalties than watch Von Miller "bringing the luggage" to flatten Josh Allen.

I get it, he's been a penalty machine this year but the guy can block.

22 minutes ago, jav said:

2 keys unique to this game  (winning the turnover battle and not getting too many penalties applies to every game):

1)Neutralize Von Miller--3 ways to accomplish this:

a)steady diet of Gore/Singletary, especially counter plays 

b)give Ford help (and by help I don't mean Lee Smith drawing a holding penalty)

c)short routes to Beasley so that Allen won't get hit/sacked when Miller beats the OL (and it will happen--more than once)

2)Put pressure on (Brandon) Allen: blitz Edmunds and Milano just like last week

I agree that I'd like to see Josh have 1-2 solutions for pressure.  I don't think just Beasley will do it.  Some combination of Beasley/Knox/Singletary perhaps.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Athletic, paywall (free trial)

-he thinks the 3 WR look might get the Broncos to sub someone for one of the 3 DL they use in a base defense.  Not sure on that.

-he likes the no-huddle idea to bring the Bills to the line faster and let Daboll have a chance to say something if he sees something

-Cody Ford vs Von Miller and Cole Beasley vs Duke Dawson likely to be key matchups.  I agree, and for that reason I would think we may be seeing more of either Kroft or Lee Smith to help with Miller (12 personnel)

-on Defense, Tre White vs Sutton and the ability of Shaq and Hughes to disrupt may be key

Predicted outcome: Buffalo 13, Denver 10

-

Christ. Now Joe B is going with the “Daboll tipping Josh off” stuff? Amazing. 

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Derek Wolfe is another problem as he and Von Miller work well in tandem together when they're on the same side with various stunts so that side of the line will have their hands full.

wolfe is one of the most underrated defensive players in the league in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

It is pretty much what Daboll himself said - that he didn't want to be in Josh's ear constantly because Josh had to play, but if they come to the line with enough time and he (Daboll) saw something where he felt he could add value by speaking up, that's what he'd do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is pretty much what Daboll himself said - that he didn't want to be in Josh's ear constantly because Josh had to play, but if they come to the line with enough time and he (Daboll) saw something where he felt he could add value by speaking up, that's what he'd do.

I don't even know why people would have a problem with it if it does happen.  There is nothing wrong with helping out the young QB if it does.  I want my coaches doing this as long as he isn't getting crazy with it making it worse for Josh. Eventually he has to do it for himself.  Its a team.  Coaches are part of the team.  If it helps win games then lets win some games.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Will be a high scoring game. Josh Allen will have running opportunities which set up pass. Von Miller can be contained with some misdirection. The experts predicting low scoring game are not thinking outside the box. So easy to go along with the popular opinion (See also Josh Rosen 2018). 

High scoring for Buffalo only.   right?

1 hour ago, eball said:

Joe likes clicks and this “stuff “  gets clicks 

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't even know why people would have a problem with it if it does happen.  There is nothing wrong with helping out the young QB if it does.  I want my coaches doing this as long as he isn't getting crazy with it making it worse for Josh. Eventually he has to do it for himself.  Its a team.  Coaches are part of the team.  If it helps win games then lets win some games.

That’s how I feel. Some posters liken it to Goff and McVay. I don’t see it that way. Josh has been on his own for over a season. Having Daboll’s experience in his ear is a good thing, it could reinforce what he has learned and raise his confidence by confirming what he sees. 

• Thank you (+1) 1