Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott

gomper

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can not speak for the location of Nextmanups laryngial apparatus, but in saying it happened at a press conference, he is contradicting the info in the podcast.

At about 29:30 or so - Sullivan says that Pat Freeman was the only journalist who witnessed it but there were multiple people around who witnessed it (presumably, not journalists).

It strains credulity to think it happened at a press conference but Pat Freeman was the only journalist who witnessed it, and there has been absolutely no coverage of it.

...doesn't THAT key word leave Nefarious Jerry out of the equation?....just askin'........

1.  I liked Sully.  I know that's an unpopular opinion here, but I thought his assessment of the Bills tended to be accurate and honest.  I don't live in Buffalo and I'm just talking about his columns -- I haven't followed him since he left the D&C (?).

2.   I don't care if McDermott is a jerk, a control freak, or whatever.  Most NFL HCs are . . . unbalanced to put it charitably.  If the guy wins, he can cuss out all the reporters he wants and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

1.  I liked Sully.  I know that's an unpopular opinion here, but I thought his assessment of the Bills tended to be accurate and honest.  I don't live in Buffalo and I'm just talking about his columns -- I haven't followed him since he left the D&C (?).

2.   I don't care if McDermott is a jerk, a control freak, or whatever.  Most NFL HCs are . . . unbalanced to put it charitably.  If the guy wins, he can cuss out all the reporters he wants and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

It's the winning that matters. These reports only have power when losses start happening 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, JGMcD2 said:

He did go off on him.... but this was not the first instance of Fairburn overstepping his boundaries. There are consequences for your actions. 

Folks in media are constantly worried about their next story, breaking news, etc. that they don’t really think of the bigger picture. Believe me. Tons of friends who work in the news, an ex-girlfriend, and people I’ve interacted with professionally. All they’re worried about is content and a deadline. They forget about what they wrote shortly after they publish it. 

It seems to me that journalists/reporters are all about breaking news, rarely about the impact on individuals, businesses and families.  At the same time, they seem to be, on occasion, some of the softest people in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...doesn't THAT key word leave Nefarious Jerry out of the equation?....just askin'........

Jerry left himself out....he never claimed to have witnessed the incident himself.  In fact, he was snarky and dismissive about the whole concept of open practice and said "I never go to the things".

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jerry left himself out....he never claimed to have witnessed the incident himself.  In fact, he was snarky and dismissive about the whole concept of open practice and said "I never go to the things".

...LMAO!!...Jerry?..snarky?.....since when??..........:D

Sully is that guy that's a **** talker who then mocks those who take issue with that.  We all know that type of guy.  

Story probably happened but as well know with any word of mouth, especially since this was an incident with a media guy....there will be some exaggeration.  

And so what?  We saw how close the team is and that's under the direction of McDermott.  You can see the team follows his lead and that's all I care about.

As a player, I would love it if my coach showed that passion with protecting his players.  

Fairburn is in a competitive alpha male industry in which tempers happen.  This isn't the only incident with a coach, I'm sure of that.  

Poor, poor jerry.:doh:  Why lie to cast a negative light on something so trivial??

Here are the replies...If jerry is full of ***** about this what else is he full of ***** about.

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Poor, poor jerry.:doh:  Why lie to cast a negative light on something so trivial??

Here are the replies...If jerry is full of ***** about this what else is he full of ***** about.

No he’s not being negative.  He’s a liar.  Sullivan deliberately lied about this.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

That's just a sick Burrrrrrrn. 

And the rest of us go "yeah, Jerry, if you can't tell it straight about what they're feeding you in the press box, why should you get the benefit of the doubt that you're telling it straight about ANYTHING?  I bet that spread's what they fed the Prisoners at Stasi HQ."

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I guess #fakenews isn't limited to just politics...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I see it as having 4 possibilities:

Everything happened EXACTLY how Sullivan said and there was no spin

Nothing happened at all, completely false

It happened but was exaggerated

It happened but Sullivan soft pedaled it

Which seems most realistic?  

Whatever happened everyone has bad days.  I doubt McD has been100% nice to every person he has met in his life every time he has encountered them. If the in your face described were McD's true personality, wouldn't we have heard at least a few more stories?  OTOH, there are about 3,648,216 stories where Jerry Sullivan has spun things negatively.  I'll go with Occum's Shaver here.  Also the term physical intimidation can be subjective and I'm guessing the 5'8" 114 pound Sullivan's threshold is low.

The other thing I wonder about is whether the "relatively young" reporter that "grizzled vet" Sullivan is seemingly trying to protect/defend appreciates his name getting flung around like this solely for the benefit of Sullivan's gadfly street cred.

Sullivan tweeted this morning that the food offered to media to OBD was very thin.  Someone followed up by showing that the food for media was quite substantial.  

In the past I've taken Sullivan's criticism of the team as true, but this type of distortion calls into question what his agenda is.

I'll keep an open mind on this situation and not conclude anything.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Sullivan tweeted this morning that the food offered to media to OBD was very thin.  Someone followed up by showing that the food for media was quite substantial.  

In the past I've taken Sullivan's criticism of the team as true, but this type of distortion calls into question what his agenda is.

I'll keep an open mind on this situation and not conclude anything.  

The conclusion is simple based on the pictures above.  Sullivan lies.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Sullivan tweeted this morning that the food offered to media to OBD was very thin.

Sounds like a case of biting the hand that (truly) feeds you.  Why don’t the media go and buy something like the rest of the fans do?

Maybe make up personalized snack packs.  Most reporters gets bagel, danish, beverage.  Sullivan gets hard tack and water.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Sully thinks he's such a hero - and that he and Bucky were the voice of the people.  And, he points to John Murphy's show as propaganda.  I hate that show, too - because it is propaganda.............But, a good journalist like Larry Felser and Mark Gaughan after him - they weren't pushovers but they weren't aholes.  There's a huge amount of land in between Murphy and Sully.  

I agreed with a lot of what Sully said about today's media at the beginning.  The host talked about there not being unbiased news anywhere in this country - so he gets it from the CBC and BBC...............Sully talked about his trusted news sources being the NY Times, WaPo, NPR, CNN and MSNBC.......................OK - no bias there!  LOL  

• Haha (+1) 3

On 11/23/2019 at 1:05 AM, gomper said:

I've been asked by the mods to time stamp the relevant Bills part of the show. The first 25 minutes or so pertains to the state of journalism today. Feel free to skip if that's not your thing. 

However, at the 26:00 mark, Jerry recounts a recent tale about what a control freak McDermott is. I have independently verified that this indeed happened. 

I should have been clearer in my original post. If it gets locked, I'm only doing what others asked me to do. Happy Holidays everyone! 

Listen to Jerry Sullivan Joins the Show - No Holds Barred Edition by RogCast SportsPOD - Buffalo, NY on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/rogcastsports/jerry-sullivan-joins-the-show-no-holds-barred-edition

no Jerry we will not listen to your dumbass podcast because you cannot find meaningful employment elsewhere