Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott

gomper

53 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

This is typical Jerry. I gave it 5 minutes before pulling the plug. If you listen to that segment where he's talking Bills you would think they were on their way to another 2-14 season not competing for the playoffs. He just doesn't understand that no matter how bad things may have been the constant negativity is even more draining. His ego is clearly bruised that he doesn't have the media presence he used to have.

Sullivan has always been the black cloud.

Invariably, he has been correct, on almost every subject- especially EVERY type of Mgt. at OBD. This type of pillorying does not win any friends! In this interview, he states that the Offense is far worse under McD than the previous rubes and stiffs! 100% correct, even if you want to subscribe to the ‘learning process’ indoctrination.

On the Bills, the fairest thing that can be said is that this Season they have an increased number of cream puffs on the sked; but unlike previous teams- they are beating them. Good, but that doesn’t mean the team is good- yet.

And after Sunday (where they should win again against an inferior team), they are up against it, for a month. Should they go 0-4,  we’ll know exactly who they are... same old millennium mediocrity.

Let’s see whether they are growing up.

4 hours ago, bbb said:

Do they have an app?  I don't understand that thing.  It seems that other times I've tried it, when my iphone shuts off the lights after a minute, it shuts down the sound, unlike on the apps I use, which you can also do skip and rewind, etc.  Am I doing something wrong with soundcloud?  

Yes. The app can be downloaded. I've used friendlier apps but it's manageable.. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This happened.  That is beyond questioning.

It happened in a large room filled with people and Sullivan confirmed it with multiple sources, b/c he is, you know, an actual journalist.

Sullivan admits he didn't actually see it though and if you had listened Jerry says it did not happen at a press conference but at the open portion of practice. He does say he checked with others who were there and they confirmed. I didn't mean that phrase as casting any doubt that Jerry was reporting what he was told happened. But in my experience as, you know, an actual journalist, I tend to prefer first hand account before I say something definitely happened the way second hand account says it did. 

None of which is a defense of McDermott either. As I said in my original post in this topic - I have had that experience with a coach (one much more famous and more successful than Sean McDermott might I add) for reporting a story that was true but that he didn't want reporting and it was thoroughly unpleasant and completely lacking in any decency. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sulky sounds like a deusch. Our head coach is a control freak and an alpha male.... big freaking surprise. After all the whining about Jauron. And the stories of Marrone acting like this to staff that's supposed to be paddling the same direction, THIS IS AN ISSUE?

No. Maybe he wanted the team to see it and know he's got their back and doesnt have to spit on his palm for media cooperation. Winning will get media cooperation. Whatever McD is doing is working. Stay the course. I dont care who he pisses off as long as the team respects him and hes working towards winning.

??????

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Attention to detail.  That's how he gotten this far.  He treats everything as being important because some small detail might be the difference between winning and losing and there is no way of knowing which it might be.  Rex had a laissez faire attitude toward his operation and it often got his team beat and got him fired.  McDermott  is the antiRex,

Ultra competitve people are often jerks or control freaks  because they don't always know when they need to hit the mute button in dealing with the people outside their bubble.  It does sound like McD owed Fairburn an apology for how he treated him in that situation but it's not likely he is wired to even see it that way.  It would be helpful if someone close to him could help him self correct before it hurts the cause.  Maybe his wife or Beane.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure, McDermott recently acted like a giant douche bag to a youngish reporter, getting in his face in an attempt at physical intimidation, dropping F bombs like nuts on him, and asking him "Are you on the team or not?!" 

This was at a press conference.  Presumably because McDouche didn't like a question or two, and apparently actually thinks the media is supposed to bolster the team as though it is part of the Bills P/R department.

Not many people heard about this because Pegula controls the media in WNY now either directly or indirectly. 

Quite an interesting little story.

McDouche = psycho

The context was in the overall discussion of how the media has been pressured by the Pegulas to suppress any negative reporting on the team.

Fairburn first reported than McDermott was unhappy that word had leaked that the Bills posted quotes from Pat Shurmer about Josh Allen around the facility the week before they played the Giants, and then when reporting on an open practice, he noted that the team was practicing fake punts. This apparently pushed McDermott over the edge and he unleashed on the Fairburn like he stole something. He asked him if he was "on the team or not", as you mention above, while berating him.

Sullivan noted that the media is so cowed that after this happened, not only did they not call McDermott out or ask for an apology , they didn't even report it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure, McDermott recently acted like a giant douche bag to a youngish reporter, getting in his face in an attempt at physical intimidation, dropping F bombs like nuts on him, and asking him "Are you on the team or not?!" 

This was at a press conference.  Presumably because McDouche didn't like a question or two, and apparently actually thinks the media is supposed to bolster the team as though it is part of the Bills P/R department.

Not many people heard about this because Pegula controls the media in WNY now either directly or indirectly. 

Quite an interesting little story.

McDouche = psycho

I want my coach psycho, and I want him to fight anything he perceives as a negative impact on the team. THATS HIS JOB. His job is to look out for the team first and that means hes might step on media toes to do it. Who cares. The media is to report what they think the see, they certainly dont care that it steps on his toes.

The media and coaches aren't always paddling in the same direction and that's ok. They're opposing forces and this just sounds like a butthurt loser on the wrong side of a battle. I hope the a** kicking continues

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

7 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Why do we care about Sullivan again?  Oh yeah..   we DON'T!!!

The point of the OP's post is that the podcast contains an otherwise little-known anecdote about McDermott's interaction with a reporter.  It is football-relevant because it's about our head coach, McDermott, albeit an off-field interaction with a reporter over his coverage of an "open" practice.

If correct, it presents quite the contrast to the controlled, even-keeled persona McDermott presents in his press conferences etc.

I don't think it's a big shock - even Levy was known to "sound like a football coach", and I don't think a man rises to be a HC if he doesn't

1) have an ego

2) want to control every detail he can control (remember the story about Marrone having a reporter pulled aside for a rather intimidating "chat" in a charter airline room?)

37 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again don’t care about Jerry and I hate it when people try to hype their own podcasts.  
Get that out of here.

I think it should be bannable and an auto lock. 

Hyping a podcast WAS locked.  It was constructively suggested to the op that if there was football-relevant material in the almost hour-long podcast, please indicate the time at which it occurs and give some detail/background so it's not just a link to their own podcast. (you know, more  like the rest of us do when we post a link to an article or a video)

To his/her credit, the OP complied, and that's the end .... if you don't think it sounds interesting to you, please move along to the next thread

If there is something relevant- it would be different, but Jerry is a lying douche that is anti-Bills - so go away Jerry and take your crap with you.

Wish he had left when he was fired - Buffalo would be a better place.

Again, the point is that this is something the OP independently verified occurred, and it involves our HC, so, relevant.

I don't give Sullivan full credit for his "spin" on the story....for example if the reporters are asked to voluntarily comply with some kind of non-disclosure of practice or to sign a confidentiality agreement in return for access, it would cast a different, less unreasonable light for McDermott to pull up with a full head of steam.  Jerry say he never goes to the practices ("those things") and I don't trust him to research or verify that part of the situation.

More on Sullivan, skip if disinterested:

I also don't care about the language and tone of voice he uses to describe the ST coach Heath Farwell.  He says "he's a jerk" in a really loaded tone and then backs it down - "well, maybe that's not the right word, he's not very good" and goes on to give the example of why the Patriots got a TD off a blocked punt for us  - a TD that was the difference in the game. 

I certainly agree that the Bills ST play this season would suggest that Farwell is not a good coach - the blocked punt vs the Pats, the missed FGs (yes, on Haushka, but is there training, prep, or practice regiments that would help him be better?), the return for a TD we gave up last Sunday, several other pretty big returns.

To me that whole little anecdote about calling Farwell "a Jerk" epitomizes my dislike and distrust of Sullivan - instead of presenting the facts and letting the audience reach the appropriate conclusion or giving a measured conclusion, he leads off over-the-top negative BUT THEN WANTS TO BE CREDITED WITH OBJECTIVITY OR WITH GOOD, HARD COVERAGE .  I imagine if Sullivan reads or hears "he's a jerk!" applied to him, the first thing that comes to his mind is NOT "this reader is making an objective assessment of me!"

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Sullivan and to a slightly lesser extent- Schoop, have harped on one incessant theme about Bills’ fans.

That, because of the 5 Alarm Tire Fire at OBD & brutal on field play making, throughout the millennium, we the fans, have been conditioned to accept so little- as a positive. 

That is, just making the Playoffs, is considered a yuuuge goal.

The obvious converse are Patsies’ fans, whose goal EVERY year is to Win the SB.

Both Sullivan & Schoop, believe fans should demand more! I’m with them. Making the Playoffs THIS year is a reasonable goal.Getting to the AFC Championship, should be the 2020 one.

We have yet to see that chart tick up. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Jerry Sullivan on our podcast: Anecdote about McDermott
5 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Sullivan and to a slightly lesser extent- Schoop, have harped on one incessant theme about Bills’ fans.

That, because of the 5 Alarm Tire Fire at OBD & brutal on field play making, throughout the millennium, we the fans, have been conditioned to accept so little- as a positive. 

Both Sullivan & Schoop, believe fans should demand more! I’m with them. Making the Playoffs THIS year is a reasonable goal.Getting to the AFC Championship, should be the 2020 one.

"Yet to see the chart tick up". You're out of your mind! You cant see any evidence that this team is building up from where its been? Insane

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Of course, this is just my opinion, but...

If you stand with Sullivan and Schopp - you’re not doing it right.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gomper said:

I've been asked by the mods to time stamp the relevant Bills part of the show. The first 25 minutes or so pertains to the state of journalism today. Feel free to skip if that's not your thing. 

However, at the 26:00 mark, Jerry recounts a recent tale about what a control freak McDermott is. I have independently verified that this indeed happened. 

I should have been clearer in my original post. If it gets locked, I'm only doing what others asked me to do. Happy Holidays everyone! 

Listen to Jerry Sullivan Joins the Show - No Holds Barred Edition by RogCast SportsPOD - Buffalo, NY on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/rogcastsports/jerry-sullivan-joins-the-show-no-holds-barred-edition

No offense, but McDermott and control freak aren't exactly news.  But...best of luck to you with your cast.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Can I get the cliff notes version? Don't particularly want to listen.

I'll try.  Jerry doesn't attend Bills practices, but he tells an anecdote about Matt Fairburn covering a Bills practice and writing about practicing a fake punt and also about "bulletin board material" in the Bills locker room before the Giants game.

Apparently McD didn't like that and got all up in Fairburn's face, chest-to-chest in a physically intimidating way, screaming f-bombs and asking him "aren't you on the team?  shouldn't you be supporting us?"  A more balanced view is if you don't want reporters to report stuff, don't put it out there during press access.

Sullivan makes a point of how he never "attends those things" (the practices) but had someone who witnessed the event on his radio show recount it, and the OP says he/she independently verified that the event occurred.

Someone please correct if I've got it mixed.

Unaddressed is whether/how reporters credentialed to attend practice are asked verbally or in writing to not disclose certain things.  I do not trust Sullivan to have the objectivity to research that and bring it up if relevant.

The conclusion Jerry wishes to be made is that the Pegulas and McDermott have systematically tried to suppress negative coverage of the team.   Elsewhere he reiterates his conclusions around his departure from TBN that have been debunked elsewhere.

The conclusion I reach is that for all his even-keeled demeanor with the press and in public, McDermott actually has the highly competitive nature, detail-obsession, and yuuuge ego of a typical guy who becomes a head football coach in the NFL.

He also says some stuff about Heath Farwell, the Bills ST coach.  It is certainly valid to criticize the Bills ST performance this year as significant ST failures have accounted for the score differential in 2 close games and have cost us points in others - there is blame to go around in these cases, obviously.  I don't care for the manner in which Sullivan critiques him, but critique is warranted.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

17 minutes ago, vincec said:

The context was in the overall discussion of how the media has been pressured by the Pegulas to suppress any negative reporting on the team.

Fairburn first reported than McDermott was unhappy that word had leaked that the Bills posted quotes from Pat Shurmer about Josh Allen around the facility the week before they played the Giants, and then when reporting on an open practice, he noted that the team was practicing fake punts. This apparently pushed McDermott over the edge and he unleashed on the Fairburn like he stole something. He asked him if he was "on the team or not", as you mention above, while berating him.

Sullivan noted that the media is so cowed that after this happened, not only did they not call McDermott out or ask for an apology , they didn't even report it.

Perfect. Coach controlling the small details he sees relevant. Maybe we can crowd source Fairburn a box of tissues. McD did this so well that he stopped them from reporting it. Holy @#$! that's amazing!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"Yet to see the chart tick up". You're out of your mind! You cant see any evidence that this team is building up from where its been? Insane

They’ve beaten all the stiffs & the weak sisters.

That’s good- because NO other Bills team this Millennium has done it!

But...

Therein, lies the exact issue- small increments satisfy most Bills fans.

Soooo, AFTER beating the Broncos (yet another lesser team), how about beating TWO, just two of the Cowgirls, Steelers, Ravens & Patsies? 

THAT is being better! 

20 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The “millennium”.... you need to take into context that for the first 14 years until RW died....and then another till TP bought the team....the Bills were under a completely different financial constraint. They had no cash to work with and were pretty much run by a law firm. The goal of that time period was basically to keep the Bills in Buff.....and to that end....it could not be more successful.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I want my coach psycho, and I want him to fight anything he perceives as a negative impact on the team. THATS HIS JOB. His job is to look out for the team first and that means hes might step on media toes to do it. Who cares. The media is to report what they think the see, they certainly dont care that it steps on his toes.

The media and coaches aren't always paddling in the same direction and that's ok. They're opposing forces and this just sounds like a butthurt loser on the wrong side of a battle. I hope the a** kicking continues

There are many examples of the Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes variety of coach that didn't know when to dial it down.  I think there is a place where an ultracompetitve person needs to draw the line between their ego and their interactions with others.  It's tough to be a champion and know when not to be a jerk.  Some do that well and others will never figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

They’ve beaten all the stiffs & the weak sisters.

That’s good- because NO other Bills team this Millennium has done it!

But...

Therein, lies the exact issue- small increments satisfy most Bills fans.

Soooo, AFTER beating the Broncos (yet another lesser team), how about beating TWO, just two of the Cowgirls, Steelers, Ravens & Patsies? 

THAT is being better! 

How about if we recognize that the Broncos have the #4 D in the NFL, a two-headed rushing attack vs our pass-focused D, and a WR who is just behind AFC-leading John Brown in YPG despite all their woes at QB?  They will not be an "easy out", and beating them will be a solid achievement.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point of the OP's post is that the podcast contains an otherwise little-known anecdote about McDermott's interaction with a reporter.  It is football-relevant because it's about our head coach, McDermott, albeit an off-field interaction with a reporter over his coverage of an "open" practice.

If correct, it presents quite the contrast to the controlled, even-keeled persona McDermott presents in his press conferences etc.

I don't think it's a big shock - even Levy was known to "sound like a football coach", and I don't think a man rises to be a HC if he doesn't

1) have an ego

2) want to control every detail he can control (remember the story about Marrone having a reporter pulled aside for a rather intimidating "chat" in a charter airline room?)

Hyping a podcast WAS locked.  It was constructively suggested to the op that if there was football-relevant material in the almost hour-long podcast, please indicate the time at which it occurs and give some detail/background so it's not just a link to their own podcast. (you know, more  like the rest of us do when we post a link to an article or a video)

To his/her credit, the OP complied, and that's the end .... if you don't think it sounds interesting to you, please move along to the next thread

Again, the point is that this is something the OP independently verified occurred, and it involves our HC, so, relevant.

I don't give Sullivan full credit for his "spin" on the story....for example if the reporters are asked to voluntarily comply with some kind of non-disclosure of practice or to sign a confidentiality agreement in return for access, it would cast a different, less unreasonable light for McDermott to pull up with a full head of steam.  Jerry say he never goes to the practices ("those things") and I don't trust him to research or verify that part of the situation.

More on Sullivan, skip if disinterested:

I also don't care about the language and tone of voice he uses to describe the ST coach Heath Farwell.  He says "he's a jerk" in a really loaded tone and then backs it down - "well, maybe that's not the right word, he's not very good" and goes on to give the example of why the Patriots got a TD off a blocked punt for us  - a TD that was the difference in the game.  I certainly agree that the Bills ST play this season would suggest that Farwell is not a good coach - the blocked punt vs the Pats, the missed FGs (yes, on Haushka, but is there training, prep, or practice regiments that would help him be better?), the return for a TD we gave up last Sunday, several other pretty big returns.

To me that whole little anecdote epitomizes my dislike and distrust of Sullivan - instead of presenting the facts and letting the audience reach the appropriate conclusion or giving a measured conclusion, he leads off over-the-top negative BUT THEN WANTS TO BE CREDITED WITH OBJECTIVITY OR WITH GOOD, HARD COVERAGE .  I imagine if Sullivan reads or hears "he's a jerk!" applied to him, the first thing that comes to his mind is NOT "this reader is making an objective assessment of me!"

Again - if the OP wants to discuss the issue then put that in the statement with a link to the cast and the time and that becomes the discussion.  The OP that admits to being financially linked to the website and is just trying to get clicks to the website.  So for that I will respectfully disagree with you.  The topic could be relevant, but the original post to me is still just an AD to his site. 

As to the Sullivan junk - I have no doubt that McDermott is a control freak and can be a real jerk to some of these guys.  They have a tight group and try to keep things on lockdown - so it is no wonder he would go off.  It also does not surprise me in the least that a guy fired from the Buffalo News that was Negative and Anti-Bills and now lacks access would report this because he has nothing to lose - he is not getting back in, but confirming the story and then telling it with his own negative spin has always been his problem.  Fairburn on his Podcast talked about being called out for mentioning the Pat Shurmer quote because although it was seen by the reporter - they had been told not to discuss things seen in the locker room - as that could give an advantage away.  The same would go for a fake punt.  Ideally for the coaches - they would not let reporters into the areas at all, but the fans are insatiable so we want info.  It is a fine line to juggle for both reporters and coaches.

If anyone doubts that McDermott could be a complete Jerk to someone - just watch him on the sidelines with the Refs - he goes totally insane at times - so I have no doubt that he would do the same thing elsewhere within the organization or to media. He wants to win and is no different than many other control freak coaches like Belichek that do everything to keep control on his situation totally.  

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1