Feeling the Christmas spirit

RochesterRob

I was at Wegman's this morning and it hit me even though I have felt fairly down lately.  I saw a woman walk into the warehouse of this particular Wegman's store who was formerly employed by a competitor to Wegman's.  This told me that the woman had rebounded from the closing of her former employer and had money coming in.  I always had a feeling dating back to her last job very little came easy for her.  Also, I saw a couple of older ladies shopping together who obviously were sisters and people I had seen enough previously to know that they did not have a whole lot of money.  It made me feel good that at least they have one another if not a whole lot else to make the season enjoyable and bright.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I was at Wegman's this morning and it hit me even though I have felt fairly down lately.  I saw a woman walk into the warehouse of this particular Wegman's store who was formerly employed by a competitor to Wegman's.  This told me that the woman had rebounded from the closing of her former employer and had money coming in.  I always had a feeling dating back to her last job very little came easy for her.  Also, I saw a couple of older ladies shopping together who obviously were sisters and people I had seen enough previously to know that they did not have a whole lot of money.  It made me feel good that at least they have one another if not a whole lot else to make the season enjoyable and bright.  

Feed homeless people on the regular. Makes you have much better outlook. It's changed my life

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When I saw the topic, I immediately thought of people or businesses getting a jump on Christmas decorations or marketing.  For example, some radio stations are already doing Christmas music. I encountered that while driving through the Albany area last week. 

My wife and I have always been pretty generous about donating to charity through work and church, but we’ve almost never actually participated in charity activities. I am fine with donating, but I’m not a “people person”.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

When I saw the topic, I immediately thought of people or businesses getting a jump on Christmas decorations or marketing.  For example, some radio stations are already doing Christmas music. I encountered that while driving through the Albany area last week. 

My wife and I have always been pretty generous about donating to charity through work and church, but we’ve almost never actually participated in charity activities. I am fine with donating, but I’m not a “people person”.

Yeah, I would not describe myself as person who could do a lot of personal interaction.  

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

You know what gets me in the Christmas spirit?

South Park episodes Woodland Critter Christmas and Red Sleigh Down

santa2-with-sg.jpg?w=584

Yup.  Charlie Brown, Beavis & Butthead Christmas special, and Woodland Critter Christmas make the season bright and gay.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, /dev/null said:

You know what gets me in the Christmas spirit?

South Park episodes Woodland Critter Christmas and Red Sleigh Down

santa2-with-sg.jpg?w=584

My wife doesn't understand why Woodland Critter Christmas is a classic Christmas special, just like Rudolph, Frosty, Year with Santa Claus, etc...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will cop to getting the Christmas tree up and outside decorations going this past weekend...in my defense (a) a bunch of other people already had their stuff going too, and (b) we lose a whole week due to a calendaring quirk, between Thanksgiving & Christmas, and (c) I have little kids who live for this time of year (which is my fav excuse as I'm all about it too). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I will cop to getting the Christmas tree up and outside decorations going this past weekend...in my defense (a) a bunch of other people already had their stuff going too, and (b) we lose a whole week due to a calendaring quirk, between Thanksgiving & Christmas, and (c) I have little kids who live for this time of year (which is my fav excuse as I'm all about it too). 

No excuses here.  We put our tree up Saturday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, bbb said:

Where do you do it? 

My church has a monthly outreach. We head out to a vacant lot in Atlantic City and setup tables with toiletries, clothing and food. They come to us, by the dozens. One day we probably had more than a hundred show up. Ran out of stuff.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I love it too, but this year will be the least festive ever around here. Usually the tree goes up the day after we finish the turkey. This year, our son is going with his fiancé to join her family in Florida for Christmas. BIG family, lots of kids and VERY festive! We will spend 5 days down there, then join them for a big Christmas Eve dinner/event, then drive home Christmas Day.

My mom will go with my sister to a rental in the mountains. So it will be me and Mrs Augie on Christmas Day after a long drive. Live trees were making her sick for some reason, so we went artificial a few years ago. This year? We aren’t even going to bother dragging it out of the attic. It just seems like a waste for such a short time, when we’ll miss the week before and be alone that day. Saves some hassle I suppose, but hardly “best ever” kind of stuff.

But I’ll keep in the spirit and make the best of it.  And I just might go condo shopping in Sarasota while we’re there! Santa could outdo himself there! THAT would be best Christmas ever material! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

My church has a monthly outreach. We head out to a vacant lot in Atlantic City and setup tables with toiletries, clothing and food. They come to us, by the dozens. One day we probably had more than a hundred show up. Ran out of stuff.

My Rotary Club used to take turns ringing the Salvation Army bells at Christmas. I learned early on when I had my young boys with me I got 10 times as much into the kettle! It was good for them to see, and it worked. Win/Win.

We also used to do some other fund raisers and invite certain families to spend the $$$ raised from our “Giving Tree” before Christmas. The first year was a surprise. They weren’t getting bikes and toys and such, they didn’t have money for diapers. My boys saw that and it opened their eyes to just how blessed we were. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I love it too, but this year will be the least festive ever around here. Usually the tree goes up the day after we finish the turkey. This year, our son is going with his fiancé to join her family in Florida for Christmas. BIG family, lots of kids and VERY festive! We will spend 5 days down there, then join them for a big Christmas Eve dinner/event, then drive home Christmas Day.

My mom will go with my sister to a rental in the mountains. So it will be me and Mrs Augie on Christmas Day after a long drive. Live trees were making her sick for some reason, so we went artificial a few years ago. This year? We aren’t even going to bother dragging it out of the attic. It just seems like a waste for such a short time, when we’ll miss the week before and be alone that day. Saves some hassle I suppose, but hardly “best ever” kind of stuff.

But I’ll keep in the spirit and make the best of it.  And I just might go condo shopping in Sarasota while we’re there! Santa could outdo himself there! THAT would be best Christmas ever material! 

you could always do the miniature tree thing. we have one that we occasionally use for those years when setting up the full tree just isn't feasible.

link

71jzOeqJU1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

you could always do the miniature tree thing. we have one that we occasionally use for those years when setting up the full tree just isn't feasible.

link

Thanks. I’ve actually looked at some real ones 3-4’ high around town, but I’m afraid to get real (lest it make her sick again). I may look into this. We have a little ceramic thing that’s like a foot tall, but this is going to be the weirdest Christmas ever. Looking forward to my week in Florida though. I’d still be living in Sarasota if I could. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2019 at 5:07 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Feed homeless people on the regular. Makes you have much better outlook. It's changed my life

done that a time or two through the years. it's a good feeling when you know someone is hungry and you give them something to eat. I tend to stay clear of those panhandlers that want a hand out. if I see a real need and I can help, I will. I know it comes full circle because there have been times I was in need and out of nowhere, help was there.

23 hours ago, Foxx said:

link

the one I have is dressed up much better and I'll be setting it up the day after tomorrow. I believe  24", works good for myself and the grandchild.

• Thank you (+1) 1