56 years ago President Kennedy dies.

CowgirlsFan

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Also saw Oswald shot, on live TV.  Remember hearing that it was the first live televised murder.

Remember that also(I was 6). I think it was on a Sunday.   I remember my dad sayin "Holy S**t " when it happened 

10 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Remember that also(I was 6). I think it was on a Sunday.   I remember my dad sayin "Holy S**t " when it happened 

It was a Friday. The death confirmation came out in the 1-2PM time.   We got out of school about an hour early but still had to hang around and wait for bus.

6 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It was a Friday. The death confirmation came out in the 1-2PM time.   We got out of school about an hour early but still had to hang around and wait for bus.

I was talking about Oswald being shot on line TV.

M

27 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

20 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I was talking about Oswald being shot on line TV.

I posted same thing about it being on Friday and reread post and realized he was talking about Oswald and deleted that part of post.

21 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was 3 years old and that's the first time I can remember my mother crying for whatever reason. Obviously didn't know why

Same here same age... I remember where I was, by the staircase at our home in Clarence. Had not see my Mom cry like that ever so I stayed mellow, didn't really understand why but instinct told me to just play with toys, stuff like that. Keep quiet.

Cronkite headed the news, I do remember that though... love that guy at that age because I used to sit on my Dads lap and watch the news with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Would people act like that today. We are extremely divided both sides.  JFK was extremely liberal for his day.

Was it out of respect... There was a lot of hatred for his policy.  He won a very close election in 1960.

Funny... See the reactions people talk about, but think differently today.

When did the venom kick in?  Vietnam? Loss of decent paying industry jobs for low paying service sector economy?

Very interesting to say the least.  There had to be much venom out there, he was killed with it.  Yet... Everybody said they cried.  Is that like saying: "I was at Woodstock?"

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Would people act like that today. We are extremely divided both sides.  JFK was extremely liberal for his day.

Was it out of respect... There was a lot of hatred for his policy.  He won a very close election in 1960.

When did the venom kick in?  Vietnam? Loss of decent paying industry jobs for low paying service sector economy?

Very interesting to say the least.  There had to be much venom out there, he was killed with it.  Yet... Everybody said they cried.  Is that like saying: "I was at Woodstock?"

Can't compare it to today.

It was the shock of the end of innocence.

Regardless of political view, people generally didn't hate the other side, and couldn't believe a sitting president could be so boldly assassinated. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Can't compare it to today.

It was the shock of the end of innocence.

Regardless of political view, people generally didn't hate the other side, and couldn't believe a sitting president could be so boldly assassinated. 

No some certainly hated other side especially those in Alabama and Mississippi who voted for alternate democrat for president.  I have seen some of the videos and they were terribly vicious. 

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No some certainly hated other side especially those in Alabama and Mississippi who voted for alternate democrat for president.  I have seen some of the videos and they were terribly vicious. 

It’s true that that IS “some”, but I think Mississippi and Alabama had their own thing going on. Hard to believe how things have changed, and sometimes how they have not.....

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Was he really that Liberal?  He was fairly tough on communism but Nixon had the better panache on that.  I think that he gets too much credit for his own election when a lot of the Democratic Party including unions voted firmly party line in those days.  Nixon went along with the EPA and wage and price controls during his time.  JFK might have gone along with that in terms of doing some policy horse trading.  A lot of hair splitting has been done as to how much blame Eisenhower and JFK should get for Vietnam but Eisenhower never sent any military advisers over there.  Further, Eisenhower met with DeGaulle and pretty much spelled it out that the time for colonialism was over.  Quid Pro Quo is the hot expression these days when it comes to Presidents but it has been argued that Kennedy in part agreed to a ramp up in military aid for South Vietnam in exchange for the French to be compliant in terms of basing some ICBM's there.  All that said there was still quite a bit to like about JFK.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is absolutely nothing like today.

Of course the civil rights things was contentious, but you had nothing like what is going on today.

If anybody from either party was doing what JFK was doing in the White House under everyone's nose, or a current Attorney General was setting up assassinations of foreign leaders like Bobby Kennedy was, or the Director of the FBI running his own little company wire tapping everyone he didn't like or a host of other things, the hatred of the opposition would assure it was front page every day.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It is absolutely nothing like today.

Of course the civil rights things was contentious, but you had nothing like what is going on today.

If anybody from either party was doing what JFK was doing in the White House under everyone's nose, or a current Attorney General was setting up assassinations of foreign leaders like Bobby Kennedy was, or the Director of the FBI running his own little company wire tapping everyone he didn't like or a host of other things, the hatred of the opposition would assure it was front page every day.

you are going to skip over the Vietnam years, the worst for unrest outside the Civil War?

today is all talk, fortunately....

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

you are going to skip over the Vietnam years, the worst for unrest outside the Civil War?

today is all talk, fortunately....

I am not skipping over anything.

The Vietnam war was after the assassination, and didn't get to be the divisive event until well after that.

There was no shortage of disagreements, but that wasn't one of them at its start.

The point is that Congress worked in those days legislative warfare was not waged, as it is now.

State Houses weren't fought over like they are now either, nor were Supreme Court nominations the starting gun for incredible sleaze.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I was hanging on some grassy knoll.

with your umbrella open

On 11/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, sherpa said:

I am not skipping over anything.

The Vietnam war was after the assassination, and didn't get to be the divisive event until well after that.

There was no shortage of disagreements, but that wasn't one of them at its start.

The point is that Congress worked in those days legislative warfare was not waged, as it is now.

State Houses weren't fought over like they are now either, nor were Supreme Court nominations the starting gun for incredible sleaze.

the point is The People were bombing buildings constantly and shutting down Universities and eventually blowing themselves up building another bomb

today is pretty thin gruel compared to that

Edited by row_33