Converting lawn mower to snow blower

Steve O

Sounds like one of Red Green’s ‘Handyman’s Corner’ segments.

Back in the 60s, Toro did have what they called the Power Handle.  4 cycle engine that powered a reel mower or snow thrower via v-belt.  Just did a Google search, and apparently there was a rotary mower as well.  My father had the handle, the reel mower, and a few years later bought the snow blower.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Steve O said:

With snowier days soon upon us, thought I would pass on this useful  tip on how to convert your lawn mower in to a snow blower. Buy her a shovel! 

I'm here all week folks.

So your doing the cooking and cleaning, I'm guessing.

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sounds like one of Red Green’s ‘Handyman’s Corner’ segments.

Back in the 60s, Toro did have what they called the Power Handle.  4 cycle engine that powered a reel mower or snow thrower via v-belt.  Just did a Google search, and apparently there was a rotary mower as well.  My father had the handle, the reel mower, and a few years later bought the snow blower.

Wow... I gotta look this up!  A real "death device" no doubt.  LoL...

When I livd in Cali I remember telling people I .liked not having to put away the mower and getting out the lower at this time of year.  They laughed at me. I said do you think the grass grows when the snow is falling  or that we use a mower to clean the driveway?

23 hours ago, Steve O said:

With snowier days soon upon us, thought I would pass on this useful  tip on how to convert your lawn mower in to a snow blower. Buy her a shovel! 

I'm here all week folks.

No way!  That would result in a shovel head injury.  Or worse the shovel may go where no man has gone before.

48 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I had never seen a leaf blower used to clear a sidewalk of snow until I worked construction in Saskatchewan in 2014-15.  Granted, it was cold, dry snow; common out there.  Still haven’t seen it around here.

I’ve seen my daughter’s next door neighbor use a leaf blower to clean the back deck.  It was dryish snow. In Connecticut. 

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I had never seen a leaf blower used to clear a sidewalk of snow until I worked construction in Saskatchewan in 2014-15.  Granted, it was cold, dry snow; common out there.  Still haven’t seen it around here.

That's how we clear the lock gates.  They have grates and toe plates.  Royal p.i.t.a. to shovel.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, I am the egg man said:

O Brother, Where Art Thou ?

during a driving trip all summer to Los Angeles then Vancouver and back to Toronto, heard this version at least 500 times, it's kind of ingrained as THE version for me...