Do/did you have a nickname?

BritBill

Did or do you still have a nickname?

Growing up in the late 80's/90's we went through a phase of calling each other by our mother's forename. My mum is called Lesley and my nickname of Les has stuck with me for over 25 years now.

You can always tell which set of friends knew me from growing up as they call me Les where as people I've met and become friends with through soccer/work/ etc all call me by my actual given name.

• Like (+1) 1

I had a mispronunciation of my name during roll call by my new math teacher on the first day of senior year.  One of my buddies twisted that a bit with wit and a split second later, another wisecrack, and for my senior year I was the 'Shiek'.  Lots of yearbook references....

I had forgotten about the name when at my 10 year reunion, decades ago now, I had just walked in and was trying to talk to someone that I recognized.  It was hard to hear because there was some fool hollering a bit behind me in the crowded bar area.  After a bit, when I finally focused on what he was hollering, I had to laugh.   SHEEEEEEK!.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Through the years it's been O, big O, little O, finally seems to have settled in at Steve O the past 4 decades. Anyone who drops the Steve has known me at least since college, more likely since high school or earlier.

O, really?

"They called me chicken legs, they called me four-eyes
They called me fatso, they called me buckwheat
They called me Eddie..."

Actually, my father called me: Chico when I was a small boy.  I wonder if he knew it meant "small boy" in Spanish or because I looked like Freddie Prinze? I am not a "Francisco."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois