Fred Cox, former Viking and Nerf Football inventor, has died

Just Jack

I heard he was originally gonna name it Derf, his name spelled backwards, but was told it didn't roll off the tongue nice enough. So he dropped the D and added the N which was an ode to the NFL.

Ok ok, I just made all that up.

Edited by StHustle
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I remember Cox kicking in a game, not remember which one.  It is good that all Cox do not suck like Brian.

Remember the commercial with a Elway throwing the vortex version length of field.

I was already 10 and playing neighbor football with adults when nerf football went out so never really played with it although we played with a round one around the yard.

From what I remember it was wicked wet.

Article on nerf football was original posted on Vikings website but that article is gone but this site captured it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/974948-the-history-and-evolution-of-the-nerf-football-the-worlds-first-indoor-ball

He deserves a statue, or at least a nice exhibit in the football HOF. More kids (and adults) have played with a nerf football than real: gym class, the beach, the backyard, playground, street, living room--bouncing off the coach, intramural s, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

I heard he was originally gonna name it Derf, his name spelled backwards, but was told it didn't roll off the tongue nice enough. So he dropped the D and added the N which was an ode to the NFL.

Ok ok, I just made all that up.

Clearly, since the Nerf brand predates the Nerf football by three years.  

In fact, the first Nerf football was round - Cox's contribution was to invent a football-shaped Nerf football.  

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

He deserves a statue, or at least a nice exhibit in the football HOF. More kids (and adults) have played with a nerf football than real: gym class, the beach, the backyard, playground, street, living room--bouncing off the coach, intramural s, etc.

Would the statute be made from the same material as the Nerf Football? Cause that would be awesome inside the stadium (not outside though)

I distinctly remember playing a game of Nerf football in my backyard with buddies growing up. I hit one kid "too hard" on a tackle and he got pissed, stood up and from about 4 feet away fired the Nerf ball at me as hard as he could. I had no time to react. Going 100 mph the ball went right in between my legs (just above the knees) and stuck there. We all started laughing and I just kept it there for a minute. Good times, good times... thanks, Nerf. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

The nerf ball with built in whistle! Throwing bombs and hearing that thing scream was amazing as a kid.. ?

the Nerf screamer....what a classic.  Loved that one.  Although as a kid, the thing that made it scream could hurt you when catching it sometimes.  

RIP to Mr. Cox.  As someone else said, he deserves some mention in the NFL Hall of Fame.  The Nerf was/is a huge contribution to the game.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Clearly, since the Nerf brand predates the Nerf football by three years.  

In fact, the first Nerf football was round - Cox's contribution was to invent a football-shaped Nerf football.  

If i'm reading this correctly. Nerf already created the squishy foam-ish ball we all know and love and Fred suggested it be made in the shape of a football? 

If true, "inventor" may be a stretch. 

EDIT: I read into it. He had a hand in making it better as well, so i'll give him his co-creator dues. 

EDIT x2: I read more. It turns out he did invent it and brought it to the nerf folks and they bought it. Funny enough he was a co-creator though. He and his buddy made it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

If i'm reading this correctly. Nerf already created the squishy foam-ish ball we all know and love and Fred suggested it be made in the shape of a football? 

If true, "inventor" may be a stretch. 

EDIT: I read into it. He had a hand in making it better as well, so i'll give him his co-creator dues. 

He made it football-shaped, and may have used a different foam than Nerf used at the time.  He deserves no small credit.

But since Nerf predated his football by ten years, calling him the "inventor" of the "Nerf" football is misleading, as it makes it sound like he founded Nerf 

Edited by DC Tom

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

He made it football-shaped, and may have used a different foam than Nerf used at the time.  He deserves no small credit.

But since Nerf predated his football by ten years, calling him the "inventor" of the "Nerf" football is misleading, as it makes it sound like he founded Nerf 

Right. But in reading more about him he is the actual inventor of the football which is cool. I was initially surprised because it did make it seem a bit as though he had a hand in creating nerf. At least upon first glance. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks