TNF: Colts at Texans

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They did a couple times and Reich's plan was to score a game tying FG or winning TD with little time left relying on that o-line.  I thought it was the right move going for it given where they were on the field (they could still force a punt by the Texans if they missed it), having three time outs left, and having only a little over 3:30 left in the game.

I think the Colts have the slightly better team but an inferior qb which ended up being the difference in the game.  Also, Hopkins outperformed Hilton.  If Luck doesn't retire this team would be competing for the Pats and Ravens right now for that top spot.  Their o-line is impressive.

It's late November.  Kim Jung QB would have already won the Super Bowl and we'd be looking forward to free agency.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Good summary.  I was glad to see Indy lose as well (from a Bills perspective) but it's tough not to root for them/Frank.  I think ass-chin and the Texans will get bounced in their first playoff game.

By the Bills in the wildcard round, hopefully.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Highly unlikely as the leader of the AFC South and West have four losses.  Pats would have to lose at least three of their next six and Chiefs/Texans would need to go undefeated.  They benefited from the same easy schedule we did unfortunately.

well pats play cowboys sunday and they have to go down to houston and play the texans next week so it is possible the pats have a couple losses. they have the chief two weeks after that so there are 3 possible losses there.  If only philly could have shown up offensively.  I think the cowboys beat them.  Texans might be able to.  Be really nice

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would have punted on 4-7 but Colts defense couldn't stop them so probably was the right call to go for it. Should have thrown a little more on their last drive, very rarely can you run the ball all the way down the field.

I actually see it differently, Colts were getting some runs but Houston was keying off on Brissett.  I thought the pass-pass  playcalling at the end was very Daboll-esque.  If they convert there, they're within long FG range and have a shot to least take it to OT.  If they run and get 3-4 yds, now it's 4th and 3 or 4, and Brissett's scramble with good coverage could have gotten it.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Friday morning reflections watching TNF....

- Usually with SNF, MNF and TNF I download the condensed version and then have a relatively relaxed commute (40 minutes is the absolute perfect length for my commute). I did not find that game at all relaxing. The result of that mattered for the Bills. Win Sunday and there is no way we can lose a 2 team tiebreak to the Colts. The Bills are a step closer to the playoffs this morning.

- Watching the Texans and Colts play always strikes me as the ultimate "Talent vs Coaching" match up. I think the Colts have a better GM, they are better coached, they are built more sustainably and they play with better fundamentals. But the Texans just have more talent. And ultimately it was that talent advantage - especially Quarterback and receiver - that was the difference in this game. Isn't always that way when they meet. The Colts have got them the last twice, but these matchups are fascinating for that reason.

The correct term for what I feel when I watch Andre Hopkins is "Covet".  I covet him.

- Boy do the Texans miss Jadeveon Clowney. I lost count of the number of times Williams or Hines found an edge in the defense. Part of the Texans success against the run last year (3rd in the NFL) was that Clowney set the edge and funnelled rushers into the big bodies of DJ Reader and co in the middle.

I do not think the loss of JJ Watt should be overlooked.  He is just an overall Beast, even still.

- The way to beat the Colts is to make Brissett beat you. He is a really good game manager but when he has to make that throw to break the game open he normally falls short.

I would like to see him throwing to someone like Andre Hopkins, then make that call.  That said...I think where he may fall short is in pocket sense/mobility

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The correct term for what I feel when I watch Andre Hopkins is "Covet".  I covet him.

I do not think the loss of JJ Watt should be overlooked.  He is just an overall Beast, even still.

I would like to see him throwing to someone like Andre Hopkins, then make that call.  That said...I think where he may fall short is in pocket sense/mobility

Yea JJ Watt is still elite. He was having a terrific season without putting up some of the stellar numbers he has in the past (partly though clearly not wholly because they are just not as fearsome without Clowney). He remains a major loss to their defense.

I don't know that Brissett has that "wow" throw in him. And for as good as Hopkins is you still need someone who sees that single coverage and can put the ball where only he can make a play on it to allow him to make the "wow" catch.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea JJ Watt is still elite. He was having a terrific season without putting up some of the stellar numbers he has in the past (partly though clearly not wholly because they are just not as fearsome without Clowney). He remains a major loss to their defense.

I don't know that Brissett has that "wow" throw in him. And for as good as Hopkins is you still need someone who sees that single coverage and can put the ball where only he can make a play on it to allow him to make the "wow" catch.

Brissett may not have that "wow" throw in him, I was more reacting to the fact that he doesn't seem to have a guy who is "open when covered" on the throws he is able to make.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brissett may not have that "wow" throw in him, I was more reacting to the fact that he doesn't seem to have a guy who is "open when covered" on the throws he is able to make.

To be fair Hilton is that kind of guy, he had a couple drops that he normally hauls in. 

I feel the Texans would be a good matchup for us.  

Their defense is meh and the offense is completely predicated on big plays, which is what our defense is strong at taking away. 

Edited by SCBills

Not a conspiracy theorist but it definitely seemed like the fix was in. The ref closest to the play was a little too sure Watson was down and refused to even check to see who had the ball. 

Yet another headscratcher about what is replay for? We have modern technology, multiple cameras, and no reasonable explanation as to why it isn’t utilized. People have no other alternative than to make up their own reasons why. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have seen only one replay angle but that fumble looks like the Colts had it while going down, was there other angles that made it look like Watson maintained it? That not being a turnover could decide a playoff spot.

What shocked me is that the Colts really didn’t seem to argue the point.  

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe this has been brought up, but my understanding of the Watson "fumble" is that basically, the refs on the field screwed it up by blowing the play dead without acknowledging a fumble, and therefore tied the hands of the replay official who was powerless to correct that error because of the way the replay rules are written.

In other words, it was not an error by the replay booth but an error in the fact that the very thing replay is supposed to correct (on-field ref mistakes) was not "reviewable" because of the whistle.

1 minute ago, eball said:

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe this has been brought up, but my understanding of the Watson "fumble" is that basically, the refs on the field screwed it up by blowing the play dead without acknowledging a fumble, and therefore tied the hands of the replay official who was powerless to correct that error because of the way the replay rules are written.

In other words, it was not an error by the replay booth but an error in the fact that the very thing replay is supposed to correct (on-field ref mistakes) was not "reviewable" because of the whistle.

The whistle doesn't matter if the fumble recovery is immediate and conclusive. Maybe it was too hard in the pile to see who had the ball? IDK, but some announcement of the sort should have been made on the field to clear the air. Seems fishy to me...