Inside the Rams-Chargers marriage as the NFL fights for Los Angeles

2 hours ago, Luka said:

Sports in Florida has nothing to with the weather and everything to do with it being a place comprised of people from other places. Most people down there are fans of the teams from where they came and have no interest in rooting for the Florida teams.

Except for the Gators and the Noles, of course ...

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

LA really does not care about the NFL. Never did. I never understood the hard on the league has for revisiting failure in that market.

LA is a different city- I read at one time in the 80's it had more Canadians than all but 4 Canadian cities but still could not sell hockey tickets. 

5 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

LA really does not care about the NFL. Never did. I never understood the hard on the league has for revisiting failure in that market.

I wouldn't say that.  There is a huge NFL following here.  But there are three issues:

1.  LA has many, many people from other cities living here and those people remain fans of their teams.

2.  LA, and California as a state will never be shaken down for a tax payer funded stadium.  Whomever that owner is will pay for a majority, if not all,  of its construction.  Period.  The Rams/Raiders left over stadium issues.  The Chargers left Diego for the same reason.  Kronke is footing the bill in Inglewood.  The Rams will be ok.  There is a base of Rams fans.  The Chargers, if I had to bet, will be moving sooner than later, and if Spanos is smart he will go back to Diego or sell to an owner that will.

3.  LA is a Raider town. If Raiders were here this article wouldn't exist.

The league under Jerry Jones is all about big corporate dollars.  Big corporate dollars that can be kept by the home team.  What this article didn’t discuss was how the suites are selling.  I’d venture to guess suite revenue is more important to them than PSL sales.

issue is, LA is not a football town..they’ve proven it before.  Sticking two teams there does nothing but double the failure rate.  The Chargers should have fought to stay in SD, but it seems they have a sweetheart deal in this new stadium.  Yes LA has huge NFL TV ratings, but so does Buffalo.  TV ratings shouldn’t be the reason to place a single team there, let alone two.  I find it interesting that the cost of the stadium has tripled, with really no end in sight.  I get the few reasons explained, but something else is going on.  Either it was low balled purposely to sell the league and other teams to go ahead with the move.  Or they have added to the project retail space or increased club/suite setting that increased cost.  Or simply, it really is mismanaged which does not bode well for these teams economic viability.

The league needs teams like the Bills, Browns, Steelers, Packers, etc.  Teams not packing in millions upon millions in PSL or suite revenue, but have rabid fan bases that show up regardless of win-loss records.  All are economically viable and in no danger outside of league imposed revenue expectations.  Teams like ours can’t be forgotten or their impact on the league marginalized.  You can’t have the few upper echelon money makers without the hard working teams at the bottom.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

I wouldn't say that.  There is a huge NFL following here.  But there are three issues:

1.  LA has many, many people from other cities living here and those people remain fans of their teams.

2.  LA, and California as a state will never be shaken down for a tax payer funded stadium.  Whomever that owner is will pay for a majority, if not all,  of its construction.  Period.  The Rams/Raiders left over stadium issues.  The Chargers left Diego for the same reason.  Kronke is footing the bill in Inglewood.  The Rams will be ok.  There is a base of Rams fans.  The Chargers, if I had to bet, will be moving sooner than later, and if Spanos is smart he will go back to Diego or sell to an owner that will.

3.  LA is a Raider town. If Raiders were here this article wouldn't exist.

There is a huge NFL following here.  But

that says it all.  

Fans but now of the teams playing there 

IMO, the state of the NFL economy is more fragile than the NFL would like to admit.  

In cities where the NFL failed during the years of growing and peak NFL, there's no hope for success in the stable to declining NFL.  LA couldn't keep teams during the boom years of Los Angeles, when the demographics and economy were vastly superior to today,  and that's telling to me.  

They have serious market issues in LA, Jacksonville and Nashville for starters.  They have billions riding on the assumption that Las Vegas will be a football town.  

The NFL approaches market planning like its 1989 and with an air of hubris that the NFL can never decline in popularity.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

The league needs teams like the Bills, Browns, Steelers, Packers, etc.  Teams not packing in millions upon millions in PSL or suite revenue, but have rabid fan bases that show up regardless of win-loss records.  All are economically viable and in no danger outside of league imposed revenue expectations.  Teams like ours can’t be forgotten or their impact on the league marginalized.  You can’t have the few upper echelon money makers without the hard working teams at the bottom.

The league needs these fan bases to travel and buy tickets in these glamour markets.

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Except for the Gators and the Noles, of course ...

I adopted the Gators myself during my first time living in Florida in 2004. Bills weren't on TV often and I needed a team to watch for my football fix. College is opposite because a lot of people go to school in Florida so you end up with kids and parents that all become fans of that program. They just don't start going to Rays and Dolphins games.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The league needs these fan bases to travel and buy tickets in these glamour markets.

Vegas will be a glamour market but it'll be like it is for the Chargers now. More fans will show up for Raiders opponents than they will for the hometown Raiders.

Los Angeles is very much a football city but the teams they love play on Saturday's... USC and UCLA.

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And some want the Bills to turn into mini Cowpokes with PSLs and everyone paying attention to everything but game.

Spot on.  I value:

Tier 1:  Good sight lines, being closer to the field and a short wait for the restrooms.

Tier 2:  Opportunity to tailgate, good food/drinks (short lines), easy access to/from stadium and convenient parking

Tier 3:  Wi-FI, shops, restaurants, pools, etc - all the non game experience type items.

Price is a concern but not the overriding factor.  If I am paying for tier 1, then good.  Do not want to pay for tier 3.

What a gross attempt at a cash grab.

I get it, it’s always been a business, but man these guys are straight up sharks these days.

Hope the LA experiment blows up in their faces (again), and good for the voters & taxpayers of CA to tell these billionaires to go spend/waste their own cash.

As someone who recently moved to Southern California I can say that the Rams have good support as "LA's team" but the Chargers are still kind of thought of as San Diego's team. The only people I know that follow the Chargers follow them from their San Diego days. Moving to LA hasn't seemed to generate new fans for them. They should just move the Chargers back to San Diego. 

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Sure it is. If it truly was, the Raiders would still be there.

Raiders left bc of stadium disputes (sound familiar?) not because of fan support.  You still see more Raiders apparel than Rams or Chargers.   Like I said, California won't be shaken down for stadium money.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Limeaid said:

And some want the Bills to turn into mini Cowpokes with PSLs and everyone paying attention to everything but game.

Nah, that’s not it. Go to any other NFL stadium and the shortcomings of NEF are glaring. Just went to MIA game ( stadium not even that new ) and it puts ours to shame. Wide concourses, clean accessible bathrooms with plenty of space to get in and out AND get food at the concessions all in time to get back to your seat for the second half. At a Bills game, leaving your seat begins a long journey. The concourses are too narrow and you’re smothered at all times, walking with baby steps to get anywhere. It’s about comfort, not gimmicks. Of course, a covered stadium is needed in the terrible WNY weather. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, njbuff said:

Never understood why two teams who were originally LA teams, moved from LA for a reason, only to move back to LA when they both already failed there.

Makes no sense.

so called big market . The city didn't support the teams then they sure arent now. They will probably keep the rams there but the chargers should move back to San Diego. They really missed their opportunity when las Vegas came calling.

not sure where Chargers go now?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian