'Bruce Smith: "A Football Life"

TSNBDSC

I too had a long day yesterday and recorded it for this morning. I'm really looking forward to watching it. My wife stayed up last night and watched it before she came to bed. When she did come to bed she told me it was awesome and she can't wait to see me cry. 

Can't wait! 

Very very proud of our Buffalo Bills these days. 

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Bruce is my all-time favorite Buffalo Bill. I need to see this. 

That said, I was talking to a former teammate of his who said Bruce was pretty much a jerk during those 90s years—ie, not a good teammate at all. Sort of changed my view of Bruce. 

Maybe the opinion of one guy whose agenda you know nothing about shouldn't be your only source. Or one you vaguely share here in double anonymous  hearsay. 

8 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That said, I was talking to a former teammate of his who said Bruce was pretty much a jerk during those 90s years—ie, not a good teammate at all. Sort of changed my view of Bruce. 

You really need to see this piece then.  It will give you a different perspective of Bruce as a person, or who he grew into as a person I should say.  I know my father wasn't a huge fan of Bruce as a person but I told him about this and he DVR'd it and I am going to go over and see him later today and watch it with him.  I think a lot of those superstar players from the Super Bowl years were jerks originally but they really became outstanding men in life and I think Marv Levy deserves a huge credit for that the way he had an impact on them as men not just football players.  Very special stuff

2 hours ago, Moose said:

I watched the whole thing yesterday and it was wonderful. Unless I missed it, however, Marv Levy was not interviewed. I just hope everything is okay with him.

He was in Cheektowaga for an autograph signing the weekend of the Patriots game and he was still in great shape for a 94 year old!

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, John Adams said:

Maybe the opinion of one guy whose agenda you know nothing about shouldn't be your only source. Or one you vaguely share here in double anonymous  hearsay. 

eh, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge him. Bruce was a Dick. There were numerous instances -well publicized- of questionable decisions, comments & actions to confirm this. Most Bills fans took the stance that ‘yes, he’s a Dick. But he’s OUR DICK!’  

I’m glad to see this side of him revealed!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Well, in the Football Life film, Steve Tasker said as much about what Bruce was like in the '80s - that he and Kelly didn't like each other at all initially, and that was "understandable because neither one of them was very likeable".  Some of the other guys, Bennett and Talley, implied similar - that if they all went to a restaurant Bruce was all "I need a table...I need a drink...bring me some bread, I'm starving" and he's like "hello, we all feel the same, that's why we're in a restaurant"

The implication, though, was that he changed or at least smoothed things out after a few years.  That he and Kelly became huge friends.

And he did some really good things, too, as the film profiles.  Most people are complicated, neither 100% good men or 100% jerk.

I will say in contrast to Kelly or Smith I have the impression that Allen is a good teammate and very likeable.  He came from a different path - no one was all over him as the rising star/5 star recruit in high school or college, he had to persuade people to "buy in" and support him - which you do by making people laugh and generally being likeable and leading from the front, giving it your all physically (on top of probably a few jerk-y traits like never wanting to get off the ping pong table - hopefully minor in the scheme of things)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will say in contrast to Kelly or Smith I have the impression that Allen is a good teammate and very likeable.  He came from a different path - no one was all over him as the rising star/5 star recruit in high school or college, he had to persuade people to "buy in" and support him - which you do by making people laugh and generally being likeable and leading from the front, giving it your all physically (on top of probably a few jerk-y traits like never wanting to get off the ping pong table - hopefully minor in the scheme of things)

This is interesting (to me) and I wonder if it's generational.

After maybe Aaron Rodgers, I can't think of a starting QB who is the historical arrogant, smug, pompous d-bag (that Aaron Rodgers is).

I do think Rosen comes off that way, but for some reason, I think that kid is misunderstood.