Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

18 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Just glad we took Allen not him like alot of posters here wanted.

Are you talking about Rudolph? This kind of hyperbole to boost your individual fandom is another thing that drives me nuts.  Were there a couple people who had Rudolph at the top of round one around here? I suppose that there had to be.  Were there "alot?" Most certainly not.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why are you trying to insinuate it is possible that Rudolph or his father might be involved, in some way, in a hate crime that happened 58 years ago? SMFH...

Boy, southerners sure get touchy when you start coming after their traditions.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

You’re not aware of any cases when someone who said something racist has lost their livelihood or job? What country do you live in?

Saying bring it to PPP after posing the question is a copout btw. I’ll drop it, but don’t ask if you don’t think the answer should be posted on TSW.

Threads like these are always tough because some sensitive discussion is on-topic and on-point to the football-relevant issue of Garrett and his punishment by the league.  Broadening to a general discussion of reactions to racist behavior/accusations of racism and bringing in a different behavior such as rape/accusations of rape goes beyond what's on topic here.  I could of course just have deleted the post suggesting extreme overreaction.

I'm certainly aware of cases where someone who has behaved in a way deemed "racist" has lost their job - it's usually more than one epiphet, but I suppose there are cases where it's one.  Usually these are positions where public trust and a perception of neutrality/fairness are important, such as LEO.  The contention I was responding to was "I hope he’s (Garrett) sued for everything he’s worth, and then never plays again. Rudolph should also go after the Browns organization, and the NFL.  Force them to disavow Garrett.  Destroy him. He’s garbage.  He deserves garbage."

I repeat, that's over the top.  I am not aware of any cases where someone who has behaved in a way considered "racist" has been sued for everything they're worth, destroyed, prevented from ever working again, disavowed, and destroyed, much less a case where someone who levied a false accusation (if it could be proven false, which this can't) suffered anything close to that treatment. 

If that's where you want to go with this discussion (take it way over the top from what actually occurs IRL, broaden the discussion to racism generally and toss in comparisons to rape/false accusations of rape), I repeat: the PPP forum is at your service.

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, but I’m also referring to a potential assault charge, which I’m sure Rudolph won’t pursue. 

Rudolph has already stated it's an NFL matter and he'll leave it for the NFL.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you talking about Rudolph? This kind of hyperbole to boost your individual fandom is another thing that drives me nuts.  Were there a couple people who had Rudolph at the top of round one around here? I suppose that there had to be.  Were there "alot?" Most certainly not.  

I don't even remember people who had Rudolph at the top of Round 1.  There were people who had him as a 1st round pick and suggested we would stand pat in the 20's and possibly take him.  From various stuff Beane let slip, I think we had Rudolph on our board, but not in the first round.

I actually wanted Rudolph initially, but after watching a bunch of game film on him my eye kept going to James Washington, who I think made Rudolph look better.  In the game against the Browns, I saw a number of traits from Rudolph that I didn't like, and oh, interestingly, when pressured he could look pretty inaccurate.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Boy, southerners sure get touchy when you start coming after their traditions.

Im from NY, and now live down south.   I do get annoyed when I witnessed more racist views living up north than down here, yet have to hear people who probably never lived in the south talk about how racist it must be. 

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"southerners"..."their traditions"

Nothing like making wild assumptions about an entire class of people, ,,,oh wait, isnt that what racists do?

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im from NY, and now live down south.   I do get annoyed when I witnessed more racist views living up north than down here, yet have to hear people who probably never lived in the south talk about how racist it must be. 

Sounds like he is engaging in a little (ok, more than a little) projection...

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I lived in Mississippi and Louisiana. 

It's more racist down there. No question. Not in an "everyone's a little bit racist" way either. 

20 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I lived in Mississippi and Louisiana. 

It's more racist down there. No question. Not in an "everyone's a little bit racist" way either. 

I can’t speak to those states.  I can speak to South Carolina, and Greenville is a straight up transient city, half the population is from up north.  Columbia is a normal state capital/college city and Charleston is eclectic and diverse.   Rock Hill, where Rudolph is from, is just over the border, with most of its population being people who work in Charlotte.  

Of course there’s rural areas where I’m sure you’ll find backwards views, but that’s the same as what you can find in non-urban parts of upstate NY, Western NY, along with Long Island and Staten Island. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because you are acting like this doesn’t happen in every fanbase.  It’s cool though. 

I did?  Tell me where.  Get over yourself -- and don't suggest for a moment I would defend what Garrett did if he was a Bill.

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yep. Same here. 

20 hours ago, Mango said:

Just got the update via ESPN. That could change things a bit in a bunch of ways. While not condoning, it would make some more sense to the sudden outburst. 

Feel free to merge with the other Garret v. Rudolph thread if need be 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28130757/during-appeal-myles-garrett-accused-mason-rudolph-using-racial-slur

By the way, I know this thread is getting stale but the title should really read Rudolph ACCUSED of using racial slur. Not M.R. Used racial slur. I know it is splitting hairs, but that kind of “headline” perpetuates rumors.

• Like (+1) 1

the dude flipped out, and swung a helmet as a weapon with intent to injure

that's the issue, there's no excuse for this

he had better come up with one heck of a gameplan before NFL HQ if he ever wants to play again.