Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, in some ways that’s what I’m saying. I’m not saying “cave” as in not punish him. I’m saying “cave” as in they will allow him back at the start of next year. The NFL just doesn’t want this in the offseason:

You remember the guy who claimed Incognito called him some racial epithet a couple seasons back?

...yeah, me neither (actually it was Ngakoue, but still). And it went away in a week, like this claim by Garrett will likely do as well.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

And I am certain that Rock Hill, SC, is exactly how it was 58 years ago...:thumbdown:

Could have been Brett Mason Rudolph I who did it. I'm not sayin...but I'm just sayin...

With regard to Garrett doubling down and the "not for public dissemination" garbage: if it's true, what do you care if it gets to the public, Myles? 

Edited by LeviF91

I don't buy Garrett's story for a second. The timing is all wrong and it's almost impossible to believe an NFL QB would have used "that word" on an NFL field with several other players within earshot. 

I will say that IF this were to occur, it's serious business and the dismissive responses to the POSSIBILITY of this going down are odd. 

I'm pretty sure most wouldn't actually have the stones to go there, so why flippantly dismiss the seriousness? I'm beating around the bush here; bet you wouldn't say it to someone's face. That's the bottom line.

At any rate, it's also incredibly disgusting to toss those kind of accusations around precisely because of the reasons stated above. Very desperate, pathetic smear of Rudolph if my hunch is correct and this is bunk.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You remember the guy who claimed Incognito called him some racial epithet a couple seasons back?

...yeah, me neither (actually it was Ngakoue, but still). And it went away in a week, like this claim by Garrett will likely do as well.

The difference is that Garrett won’t let it go. Ngakoue wasn’t suspended or anything like that.

Garrett is coming from a different place. He can continue to say that the “NFL is punishing him while allowing this racist mentality.” Rudolph is an admitted “MAGA guy” that loves Tomi Lahren and hates Jamele Hill and Kaep. His story will gain traction whether it’s true or not. Rudolph makes for the perfect poster boy for this accusation. Garrett will make some noise with this and have people that believe it.

From the NFL’s standpoint the sooner the race card leaves the better. They can come to Garrett and say “let this die and we will get you back for Week 1.” That accomplishes everyone’s goal. The NFL got to shut him down for the year and shut him up. Garrett got as little of a suspension as he could have hoped for. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s certainly risky but it’s the only hand that he had. It’s going to end up as he said, he said. They are going to try to pin Rudolph as a MAGA loving racist because of his political views. If Garrett is lying, I agree, they should add on. If he’s telling the truth it probably gets reduced (still think he’s done for this year) and Rudolph gets punished too. Rudolph should immediately file a lawsuit if it’s false. 

This was the only play that Garrett had to gain sympathy and back the NFL into a corner. It’s kind of like the Justin Fields situation at UGA (although that had further documentation). His waiver was going to be granted no matter what because the NCAA didn’t want to look complicit in any way. This accusation applies pressure to the NFL that they don’t want. This is a conversation and issue that they don’t want playing out in public.

His best hand was contrition, not lying, casting vile aspersions against the character of another man.

I hope he’s sued for everything he’s worth, and then never plays again.

Rudolph should also go after the Browns organization, and the NFL.  Force them to disavow Garrett.  Destroy him.

He’s garbage.  He deserves garbage.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

His best hand was contrition, not lying, casting vile aspersions against the character of another man.

I hope he’s sued for everything he’s worth, and then never plays again.

He’s garbage.  He deserves garbage.

Agreed. Rudolph’s statement was on point. This is more detestable than swinging the helmet by far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, it’s a cost - benefit analysis. “Is it easier to reinstate him week 1 or have him making more allegations?” The answer, imo, is it is absolutely easier for them to cut a deal with him that if he lets this go he will be back week 1. Garrett accusing them of racism certainly isn’t going to hurt his chance of coming back sooner. The longer he is out the louder he will get. This was the strategic play by he and his people. We won’t know how it will work out for a long time. He has nothing to lose but a little more dignity. He’s the guy that just hit someone over the head with a helmet. He didn’t have a lot of character stock to lose.

Once you pay blackmailer you will keep paying blackmailer and Garrett will not stop being stupid.

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ashamed of Garrett.      Don’t lower yourself to Bennett brother status. 

The die has been cast. Next step when things start really going sideways is to claim mental instability caused him to commit assault and utter untruths. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, it’s a cost - benefit analysis. “Is it easier to reinstate him week 1 or have him making more allegations?” The answer, imo, is it is absolutely easier for them to cut a deal with him that if he lets this go he will be back week 1. Garrett accusing them of racism certainly isn’t going to hurt his chance of coming back sooner. The longer he is out the louder he will get. This was the strategic play by he and his people. We won’t know how it will work out for a long time. He has nothing to lose but a little more dignity. He’s the guy that just hit someone over the head with a helmet. He didn’t have a lot of character stock to lose.

Well, we have no idea what the “NFL list of concerns” looks like. That’s an assumption based on nothing. We do know that they want to “protect the shield.” That’s all-encompassing.

It’s not one or the other. “We don’t want players to hit each other over the head with helmets OR we don’t want to be considered racist.” They don’t want EITHER.

Did Trevor Siemien call him a racial slur too?

Look, Garrett's people just came umm with this "defense" for the appeal.  He threw the card down.....and the league swatted it away.  What will he say next year that will convince the NFL he is telling the truth??

And exactly how will Garrett credibly "accuse them of racism"?  His suspension has absolutely nothing to do with race.  To suggest so makes absolutely no sense.

The NFL wanted to end this "defense" immediately, and they did.  They do NOT want to set a precedent for defense off bad behavior in the future.  They risk nothing at all putting the hammer down on this guy and they absolutely know this.

I don't know they could made this clear today.