Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah...why did this not come out immediately to explain Garrett's actions?

Still doesn’t “explain” his actions. You don’t have the right to assault someone because of something they said.

2 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Still doesn’t “explain” his actions. You don’t have the right to assault someone because of something they said.

that's the mature adult response

i'd have waited the whole two weeks to pay back the opponent when they met again, chose a quieter circumstance to stick it to him

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Most truthful thing in this thread. Kudos.

I think that’s a huge reason for this. He’s setting up the offseason if the NFL wants to extend it into next year. He can talk about how they didn’t take it seriously, how they enable it, etc... The NFL does not want that narrative out there. They’ll probably agree to let him start next year and try to bury this behind them.

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's disgusting how likely accurate this is and how it would probably be pretty damn effective...

He really has nothing to lose by doing this. Whether anyone likes it or not it was the best hand he could play. When in doubt, divide people

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He really has nothing to lose by doing this. Whether anyone likes it or not it was the best hand he could play. When in doubt, divide people

He does.  Some of his endorsers want this to just stop and not bring more attention to it.  One endorser is already debating stopping endorsement deal.

His accusations may be to try to tell endorsers he was provoked and there were unique circumstances but NFL will not allow such hearsay to affect punishment.

Adidas 'looking into' Myles Garrett's suspension over helmet incident in Browns-Steelers game

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/myles-garrett-sponsors-helmet-incident-browns-steelers

The future of at least one of Myles Garrett’s endorsement deals is in doubt Friday after the NFL suspended the Cleveland Browns star for the remainder of the 2019 season for attacking Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph with his own helmet.

Garrett, 23, has been under contract with German sportswear brand Adidas since he entered the NFL in 2019. The company confirmed in a statement to FOX Business that it is examining the incident.

Garrett also has business relationships with Pepsi, Bud Light and Ohio-based sports apparel brand Homage, according to social media posts over the last year. Representatives for the three companies did not immediately respond to FOX Business’ request for comment.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of Bills fans would have done the same thing. McCoy has given a lot of evidence that he is kinda of POS, but still plenty of fans defended him. Same with Lynch.  
Go to a Chiefs board and see how they defend Hill. Personally, it’s kinda pathetic but it’s far from just Browns fans.

Maybe?

I think a key difference is, Garrett smashing Mason Rudolph over the head with a helmet was clearly and unambiguously captured and televised on national TV.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Just got the update via ESPN. That could change things a bit in a bunch of ways. While not condoning, it would make some more sense to the sudden outburst. 

Feel free to merge with the other Garret v. Rudolph thread if need be 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28130757/during-appeal-myles-garrett-accused-mason-rudolph-using-racial-slur

I have to say, I really don’t buy this.  Why didn’t Garrett bring this up on the day that this outburst took place?  Or even allude to the fact that something happened to set him off?  He never did - until his appeal hearing.  Something tells me that if this was all about a racial slur, it would have been shared with the media much sooner than the day he appeals his sentence.  

From the outside - it almost makes me think that this was conjured up by whatever council Garrett spoke with.  

I don’t doubt for a second that Rudolph talked trash once he was taken down after the play, but, unless I see evidence otherwise, I think this who racial slur story is fake.  

And if this indeed the case and that Garrett resort to falsely accuse Rudolph of a racial slur to get his suspension overturned, then I have very little respect for him.  

This reminds me of when Jacksonville DE Yannick Ngakoue said that Richie Incognito called him a racial slur.  When Yannick was pressed by the media to reveal what he said, he said “I can’t remember.”   Tht told me, that his claim of racism was likely BS or atleast a misunderstanding 

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, I'm sure he did and Pouncey then came running to his rescue. Makes sense.

Why didn't Garrett tell the media this right after if it was true?

He probably didn’t remember until his attorney reminded him. 

I didn’t think it was possible to think even less of Garrett, but now I see that is indeed possible. If true, it would have come out sooner, and someone else heard it. Unfortunately for Rudolph, it would be difficult for him the prove the negative in court.

Having said that, I hope this works against Garrett in some way if he’s just making &%$# up in a weak attempt to justify his actions. Heck, even if it IS TRUE, it doesn’t count for a hill of beans. YOU CAN’T SWING A HELMET AT A PERSON’S HEAD, no matter what they said! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Garrett didn’t mention any racial slurs to his coaches, teammates, opposing players or the media the night the incedent happened. He and his lawyers bring it up today in the meeting with the NFL to save his a$$. 

Sheldon Richardson is as asked today if Garrett mentioned anything to him and he said it was the first time he heard anything like that. 

Pure bullsh$& and the reporter is such trash. Josina Anderson is nothing but a gossip reporter. Go work for TMZ and leave sports alone. Trash.

I really think this narrative of a racial slur was constructed by Team Garrett.  Like you said, why didn’t Garrett say anything about racial slurs?  

If I get arrested for attacking someone that called me a slur, I’m not going to wait until my trial to announce it

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks.  Do you have a linky?

Mike Garafolo said it to Andrew Siciliano during TNF First Look show. (Garafolo sited league spokesman Brian McCarthy as his source)

Edit:  Linky found:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cleveland-browns/nfl-issues-statement-on-myles-garretts-accusation

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Mike Garafolo said it to Andrew Siciliano during TNF First Look show. (Garafolo sited league spokesman Brian McCarthy as his source)

This response pretty much sums up the 21st century... Evidence? We don't need no stinkin evidence!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

And Rep. John Lewis got the ***** kicked out of him for entering a "whites only" waiting room there.

I'm not sayin...but I'm just sayin.

And I am certain that Rock Hill, SC, is exactly how it was 58 years ago...:thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

He probably didn’t remember until his attorney reminded him. 

I didn’t think it was possible to think even less of Garrett, but now I see that is indeed possible. If true, it would have come out sooner, and someone else heard it. Unfortunately for Rudolph, it would be difficult for him the prove the negative in court.

Having said that, I hope this works against Garrett in some way if he’s just making &%$# up in a weak attempt to justify his actions. Heck, even if it IS TRUE, it doesn’t count for a hill of beans. YOU CAN’T SWING A HELMET AT A PERSON’S HEAD, no matter what they said! 

I’ve heard that he’s not well liked or respected even in his own locker room. 

• Like (+1) 1