Anyone here ever worked for Amazon?

Another Fan

I have worked for Wal-mart GBS and have applied to several Amazon jobs.  They cast a very wide net with virtual interviews and interactions.  I have heard negative things here in NC, living close to a distro center.  

7 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

At my Celebrate Recovery meeting, one of the guys is retiring from Amazon. He says working one year for Amazon is like working 5 years for some other company. He could only last 5 years.

I’m guessing he doesn’t get a 25 year pension.....

My daughter now works for Amazon Prime and scheduling for her is a B word.  

There are no set schedules, you log on and pick what shifts you want.

The problem is when she signs in many of the day shifts are full so she cannot work any "regular" schedule making therapy and doctors appointments hard and harder on transportation (us).

Right now they are giving bonuses for Sunday and over night shifts but she does not qualify.

Shifts are 5 hours for I am guessing they are using part time workers and the work is exhausting. 

She spent two of her hours one day in freezer.

No lunch breaks since she is working 5 hour shifts but she gets one 15 break a day.

For absenteeism/tardiness they have point system and you can accumulate so many points per pay period before action taken.

And the place they put their warehouse is at least 3/4 mile from any public transportation.  I find that odd for part time workers who often do not have a car. 

Never worked for them but bought alot from them.

Find they are starting to go downhill, similar to eBay that it's all becoming Chinese knockoff stuff being sold by others through the site. It's seems like everything on eBay is now just people with online shops selling knockoff junk. With Amazon I'm finding there's more Chinese stuff being sold by other sellers. Prime doesn't seem worth it without the TV/movie aspect as I would get stuff just as fast by selecting free shipping here as I do using prime shipping.

I'm not surprised to see there's a difference between how workers are treated, it's like that in most places. The people doing the heavy lifting positions that require bodies and not education are worked til they break then thrown away while the positions where they need educated people to create and do certain tasks are treated better and given the big perks. Those are what they use to describe and advertise how great of a company they are.

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm not surprised to see there's a difference between how workers are treated, it's like that in most places. The people doing the heavy lifting positions that require bodies and not education are worked til they break then thrown away while the positions where they need educated people to create and do certain tasks are treated better and given the big perks. Those are what they use to describe and advertise how great of a company they are.

Has that not been the way of the world since money came into existence? 

Knowledge / skilled workers always paid better and have better perks than non skilled workers, as it should be. 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Has that not been the way of the world since money came into existence? 

Knowledge / skilled workers always paid better and have better perks than non skilled workers, as it should be. 

That's true and I'm not arguing that, but today, places try to make it sound like they treat even the lowest employee like they are a CEO and any position is great. People today also feel that every job should pay you do you can live comfortably even at the lowest skill positions. 

I think there has been a shift in how much perks and how well treated the higher ups are compared to the grunts. I think years ago that the lower level labour low skill jobs were treated a bit better rather then today where they are continually over worked and when broken, tossed aside. And the higher level skilled people are treated with way more perks to keep them happy. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Find they are starting to go downhill, similar to eBay that it's all becoming Chinese knockoff stuff being sold by others through the site. It's seems like everything on eBay is now just people with online shops selling knockoff junk. With Amazon I'm finding there's more Chinese stuff being sold by other sellers. Prime doesn't seem worth it without the TV/movie aspect as I would get stuff just as fast by selecting free shipping here as I do using prime shipping.

I've also noticed that Prime no longer means 2-day shipping.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What's NOT made in China, consumer goods that is?

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's true and I'm not arguing that, but today, places try to make it sound like they treat even the lowest employee like they are a CEO and any position is great. People today also feel that every job should pay you do you can live comfortably even at the lowest skill positions. 

I think there has been a shift in how much perks and how well treated the higher ups are compared to the grunts. I think years ago that the lower level labour low skill jobs were treated a bit better rather then today where they are continually over worked and when broken, tossed aside. And the higher level skilled people are treated with way more perks to keep them happy. 

Today production is outpacing pay by ~8%... Even as I chat on my phone via a message board, with one eye looking out and an ear to the ground listening for the bossman.  Is it 4 o'clock yet?, so that pencil-pusher can go home.  ?

CC:

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek

(My two biggest skeptics and eternal foils.)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Today production is outpacing pay by ~8%... Even as I chat on my phone via a message board, with one eye looking out and an ear to the ground listening for the bossman.  Is it 4 o'clock yet?, so that pencil-pusher can go home.  ?

CC:

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek

(My two biggest skeptics and eternal foils.)

Speaking of “necessary jobs”, someday our inland waters will be patrolled and maintained by robots and drones...or maybe that’s already the case?

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Speaking of “necessary jobs”, someday our inland waters will be patrolled and maintained by robots and drones...or maybe that’s already the case?

Be prepared to read and weep your ill educated take on automation... Maybe there is a lawyer algorithm... But in the work a day world... Things gotta get moved.

Never (reply to your post)!  In the last 50 years we actually added a worker.  Crews were one person years ago.  Now two!

S.A.F.T.E.Y.

...Will always need four boots on ground.

Good read about shipping, economy, if you care to read the "back story"

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-city/mystery-boat-alone-and-idle-in-waterlogged-corner-of-chicago/7833e5d2-0936-46c3-b68b-3d3da75acde8

"...Overall, the shipping industry is still relatively active, but the Port of Chicago is not the economic engine it once was. According to a 2011 report, the most recent data available, the Port generates nearly 2,700 jobs, 25 percent less than it did nearly a decade prior. And the jobs the Port creates indirectly have dropped by 22 percent over the same period. Industry-wide, shipping on the Great Lakes faces headwinds, due to the phasing out of coal and a steel industry that has yet to return to its pre-Recession peak.  

“It’s an industry that will never die. But it will never get better,” Hansen said. “It just gets smaller and smaller and smaller. As we lose our steel. As we lose our cement. As we lose our coal.”

Still, marine transport is the most economic way to get cargo from one place to another — far cheaper than trucking and even rail.

But a struggling manufacturing sector mixed with low commodity prices, means ships like the C.T.C. No. 1 are left waiting in the wings, stuck in a kind of limbo where they’re too valuable to ditch, but not useful enough to repair. ..."

I have two third hand accounts of working at Amazon (both friends of friends/coworkers)

One friend of a friend worked in some kind of grocery store in Washington state where people would order thru Amazon and go pick it up in store.  Friend of a friend was a worker that went to the shelves and fulfilled the order for the customer to pick up.  Minimum wage job where she was worked with little breaks.  From her Facebook page she was not a fan of working for Amazon or of shopping for white people

Other friend of a friend was hired as a manger when he got out of the Navy.  Moved his family there and the job wasn't what he thought it would be.  He was basically a cattle rancher keeping the worker herd moving.  But a year or so at Amazon opened the door to other opportunites