Good article on Josh (The Ringer)

When people say Josh Allen's accuracy isn't progressing:

A year after consistently struggling to place intermediate throws, Allen has been one of the league’s most accurate passers in that area of the field. He’s completed 64.7 percent of his throws between 10 and 20 yards this season—a jump of nearly 16 percentage points from his first season. Allen’s biggest gains in 2019 have come where he faltered most as a rookie.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Before I read it,  there anything negative in that article?  I don't want to be triggered.  I would have to start a thread against this article and its author in particular  and that site in general---and I'm already pretty busy today.

It's pretty balanced, bordering on positive.  It said he came into the league with several question marks, made significant improvements this year but that he still had a ways to go.  Also talked about his character/work ethic, particularly as it relates to improving weaknesses, which suggests that the writer now thinks he can continue to improve.  

That's about as good an article as I've seen about Allen.  It describes nicely who he is and how he's developing.   

What goes unnoticed in most of these discussions is the job that Beane, McDermott and their staffs did.  Allen may have been the best QB prospect in the draft, and it seems like only McBeane figured it out.   Certainly the Browns and Jets didn't.  And no one else, apparently, was trading up for him.

Everyone knew Allen was big and had a big arm.   But none of the draft pundits were writing about, and most teams apparently didn't figure out, that Allen was smart, dedicated to the craft, hard-working, a team-oriented guy and a fierce competitor.   Those are the things that McBeane are looking for in all their players, especially their QB.  Those are things about a player that are knowable, and the Bills did the work to figure out that Allen had all those attributes.   Combine those attributes with that size, speed and arm, and you have a top prospect.   

It was obvious to me early in the 2018 season.   It was evident to McBeane in March before the draft.  

• Like (+1) 8

24 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

we have fast WRs, their speed has literally nothing to do with Josh throwing it a mile by them

I agree.... we should dwell on that one negative point in the article. take home message from the article? allen is awful at deep balls because he's afraid of picks. really hammer it home.... I dig it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

good article, also clearly explains why hes missing disastrously on long throws, hes scared of throwing a pick  

I think that’s part of it, but from the article what I get from it is he just hasn’t been repping them nearly as hard.  He could tune them in with John Brown and Robert Foster if they stayed after practice and did 20 reps apiece on them in different wind and weather conditions, but Allen and his coaches are savvy enough to figure out that the bigger payout is 25-50 reps on the 10-20 yd throws.

7 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

Duke Williams is TE? He probably could\should be.......Otherwise a well written article!

Yeah, I noticed that.  Easy to make that mistake.  Duke Williams and Dawson Knox are fundamentally twins ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

It's pretty balanced, bordering on positive.  It said he came into the league with several question marks, made significant improvements this year but that he still had a ways to go.  Also talked about his character/work ethic, particularly as it relates to improving weaknesses, which suggests that the writer now thinks he can continue to improve.  

phew!!

Fantastic article, thank you for sharing. 

What I read is that Josh has the proper determination and physical attributes to be the long term answer. In addition, the organization has a clear understanding of what they want and how to find it...and it may differ from the other teams. 

I love the trajectory. 

• Like (+1) 1

The article is well written. In tone it is undeniably positive but to me it's not a product of homerism. Rather it's an accurate and realistic assessment IMO. Allen was and remains a top shelf blue chip prospect. He is not less so today than current MVP candidate Lamar Jackson once adjustments are made for differences in circumstances. As many have said there will continue to be ups and downs. I will be happy to take whatever success the Bills enjoy in the meantime but my expectation in terms of the timeline is pretty straightforward: I expect the Bills to add receiving talent, probably 2 players, another RB and one or more OLine next year. If the universe unfolds as it should,  while of course nothing is guaranteed, I expect the Bills to be legit as contenders in 2021 and obviously for Allen to be a big part of that. Overall it looks to me like they are building it right. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

The article is well written. In tone it is undeniably positive but to me it's not a product of homerism. Rather it's an accurate and realistic assessment IMO. Allen was and remains a top shelf blue chip prospect. He is not less so today than current MVP candidate Lamar Jackson once adjustments are made for differences in circumstances. As many have said there will continue to be ups and downs. I will be happy to take whatever success the Bills enjoy in the meantime but my expectation in terms of the timeline is pretty straightforward: I expect the Bills to add receiving talent, probably 2 players, another RB and one or more OLine next year. If the universe unfolds as it should,  while of course nothing is guaranteed, I expect the Bills to be legit as contenders in 2021 and obviously for Allen to be a big part of that. Overall it looks to me like they are building it right. 

I liked the part about him wearing a gray T-shirt and a pair of blue shorts that (a) look straight out of an ’80s NBA game, and (b) are decidedly too small for a guy who weighs 237 pounds.  It gives a bit of color to the piece.  Josh was just coming off lifting, and OK, he'll take the time to talk to the reporter but he's not gonna swag up.  What, these?  They're my favorite lifting clothes from JUCO, anyway everything else is in the wash.

I will say this.  When pundits dissed off Rosen as "not sure he's a Leader of Men" I was all, "yeah, yeah, leadership shmedership, overrated, just give me a guy who can make the reads and throw completions".

Watching the dynamics of Allen with the Bills and of Fitzy with the Dolphins, I have to say that I think now I was wrong, and that being able to be a leader and be respected but yet be able to go to your WR and say "that was a great route, I ***** up, I need to do better" counts for way more than I thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I liked the part about him wearing a gray T-shirt and a pair of blue shorts that (a) look straight out of an ’80s NBA game, and (b) are decidedly too small for a guy who weighs 237 pounds.  It gives a bit of color to the piece.  Josh was just coming off lifting, and OK, he'll take the time to talk to the reporter but he's not gonna swag up.  What, these?  They're my favorite lifting clothes from JUCO, anyway everything else is in the wash.

I will say this.  When pundits dissed off Rosen as "not sure he's a Leader of Men" I was all, "yeah, yeah, leadership shmedership, overrated, just give me a guy who can make the reads and throw completions".

Watching the dynamics of Allen with the Bills and of Fitzy with the Dolphins, I have to say that I think now I was wrong, and that being able to be a leader and be respected but yet be able to go to your WR and say "that was a great route, I ***** up, I need to do better" counts for way more than I thought.

Yeah the intangibles are great and extremely important. Almost, but not quite as important as, with the benefit of good coaching and experience, and with the addition of talent and continued growth of the O together with other young players like Singletary and Knox,  having the game slow down for him. I think there is a good chance that all of that comes to pass in due course.

I continue to think that Rosen is very talented as a passer. If his alleged lack of leadership skills is accurate however that is a big disadvantage for him to overcome. Playing QB at this level is not like playing tennis. I do think it's still much to early to write him off as a bust. As with all things only time will tell. Josh's year was a good class IMO.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah the intangibles are great and extremely important. Almost, but not quite as important as, with the benefit of good coaching and experience, and with the addition of talent and continued growth of the O together with other young players like Singletary and Knox,  having the game slow down for him. I think there is a good chance that all of that comes to pass in due course.

I continue to think that Rosen is very talented as a passer. If his alleged lack of leadership skills is accurate however that is a big disadvantage for him to overcome. Playing QB at this level is not like playing tennis. I do think it's still much to early to write him off as a bust. As with all things only time will tell. Josh's year was a good class IMO.

Rosen might have been a  good QB if the kid was put in a good situation with good coaching.  Unfortunately for him, it may be too late because a good situation might not view him worth the time anymore.  I think this possibly happens to many QBs that bust out of the league but would have been fine with good situation, coaching, development, and some patience.

I could be wrong about all that but it is how I feel.