Greg Roman will be an NFL HC

Mikie2times

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The mistake people make is they assume just because you are a great coordinator you will automatically make a great head coach.

Nothing is farther from the truth. They require a hugely different skill set. Head coaches need to have a skill set of a CEO and have tons of non football decisions to make. They need to oversee and hold their coordinators and other coaches responsible. X's and O's are far less important than their leadership and ability to hold everyone accountable at the position.

This is why so many great coordinators make lousy head coaches. Just because you do a great job with X's and O's doesn't mean you can run an organization.

I think you are right. There is so much administrative overhead and distraction that comes with being a HC, trying to find the right personnel to make up your staff and keep them pointed in the right direction. Some make the transition and do well others are better as coordinators who just have to focus on their craft.

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

31.  Fired after an 0 and 2 start.

Okay but would you fire an OC who just got done putting up 31 points? I mean it made no sense at the time. Considering Tyrod was coming off a pro-bowl season.

Ryan and Whaley are idiots they were trying to save their own stink by canning Roman to placate the fans.

Edited by BillsFan692

I was stoked when we brought him here and pissed that dumb ass rex fired him. Its funny i liked rex defense and offense and he ruined them both, probably why he got rid of Pettine , bc he ran it better.

Hard to say how a coordinator will do as a HC, some guys flourish and some are better as coordinators. Hope he gets a shot , time will tell if he is HC material.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The mistake people make is they assume just because you are a great coordinator you will automatically make a great head coach.

Nothing is farther from the truth. They require a hugely different skill set. Head coaches need to have a skill set of a CEO and have tons of non football decisions to make. They need to oversee and hold their coordinators and other coaches responsible. X's and O's are far less important than their leadership and ability to hold everyone accountable at the position.

This is why so many great coordinators make lousy head coaches. Just because you do a great job with X's and O's doesn't mean you can run an organization.

I see what you're saying but almost every coach was a coordinator. So there are plenty of successful coordinators that became great head coaches. In football and most businesses you have to pick the second in command and hope they make it, there really isnt another way to pick a HC.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I would imagine wherever he goes becomes a prime landing spot for Cam and/or Jalen Hurts. 

cam is shot as a runner doubt he regains his status as an effective starter.

i've kind of studied roman ever since he started at SF.  he made michigan's harbaugh look a lot better than he is IMO.

his O is borderline genius in it's blocking and match up schemes.  where it falls short (as all schemes do fall short at some point) is that it is cumbersome and very inflexible.  they have so many formations and packages that you are likely to have pre snap penalties and have very little time to audible and go uptempo.  he may have figured some of that out in baltimore, however.

he's kind of like what prime rex ryan was on D, but on O.  complicated, but in roman's case it is complicated to scheme and staff, rather than complicated to execute, which was rex's downfall, and very tailor made to one thing.

i'd like to throw in my usual two cents that he does not form anything around his talent, but has a system which he puts talent into.  a coach like billecheck does the same thing, but has enough wrinkles and knows so much about football and his opponent that it seems like he can make anything work, but in reality he's got a philosophy and that's clear in all of his teams.

10 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Right....how many teams would have asked Lamar to stop running. Learn how to be a NFL quarterback. This guy did the same thing with Kaep and Tyrod. Again, not nearly the talent of Lamar. But he’s got a special ability in the run game nobody else in the league has. In a league with growing pedestrian QB play, that and great defense can do a lot of damage. 

Just think of how good Kaepernick and Taylor looked with Roman at OC compared to how they looked elsewhere. Plus, in Buffalo they had the best running game in the league outside of the QB as well. As has been mentioned, being a good coordinator is totally different from being a good HC (see Phillips, Wade) but he knows the running game like nobody else.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Hope he's not dumb enough to take the Redskins job. That could be a career killer. 

If it was a good job then it wouldn't be available. Someone needs to go in there and turn it into something good.

51 minutes ago, vincec said:

If it was a good job then it wouldn't be available. Someone needs to go in there and turn it into something good.

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen are the biggest hindrance to anything "good" ever being in Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea if the dude is HC material but he's a pretty good coordinator. He can design a run game like nobody's business but one of the reasons he's been let go from every OC job he's had is because his passing game designs are pretty easy to defend against. Right now he's kinda got a perfect storm situation going on in Baltimore with Jackson and that tight end group they have. 

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I agree and immediately think of Belichick. He is the CEO and handles the X’s and the O’s. Definite outlier.