Greg Roman will be an NFL HC

Mikie2times

I don't remember the general thoughts on Roman when we brought him on. Too much discussion over Tyrod and Rex at the time. What I do remember was some of the "This is a passing league comments". I remember fans thinking Roman was past his time. 

As we all know the league changes. Perhaps Roman was a bit past his time a few years ago, perhaps he was ahead of it? I think many coaches will look at what Baltimore is doing and say hey, I'm not going to try and find the Bill Walsh 1 in 50 QB anymore. Why should I? Who can I get that is an athletic passer/runner, develop an outstanding run game and stack the defense. If that's your model who has a better history of executing it than Roman? His level of success is rather absurd, perhaps constantly undervalued during an era where the running game was all but dead. 

His two years here we finished in the top 15 in points scored. Last time we did that in two consecutive years was 1995 and 1996.

He was with the 49ers prior, 3 straight years they finished top 15 in points scored. Last time they accomplished that was 2001, 2002, and 2003. They also went to two NFC championships and one Super Bowl during that time. 

Now with Baltimore, leading the league in points scored and certainly looking poised to go on a deep playoff run. 

I always loved this guys offense. He has done some great things with Kaep and Taylor, and some down right stupid things with Lamar. Lamar is a rare talent, I understand that. But he didn't exactly fail with less.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

The mistake people make is they assume just because you are a great coordinator you will automatically make a great head coach.

Nothing is farther from the truth. They require a hugely different skill set. Head coaches need to have a skill set of a CEO and have tons of non football decisions to make. They need to oversee and hold their coordinators and other coaches responsible. X's and O's are far less important than their leadership and ability to hold everyone accountable at the position.

This is why so many great coordinators make lousy head coaches. Just because you do a great job with X's and O's doesn't mean you can run an organization.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He strikes me as someone who would be a better coordinator than HC.

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The mistake people make is they assume just because you are a great coordinator you will automatically make a great head coach.

Nothing is farther from the truth. They require a hugely different skill set. Head coaches need to have a skill set of a CEO and have tons of non football decisions to make. They need to oversee and hold their coordinators and other coaches responsible. X's and O's are far less important than their leadership and ability to hold everyone accountable at the position.

This is why so many great coordinators make lousy head coaches. Just because you do a great job with X's and O's doesn't mean you can run an organization.

Title says he will be a HC. I agree he's better served as an OC but somebody will pursue him for a HC role soon. Even while thinking he would be a much better OC vs HC, I wouldn't have a problem with the hire. I don't see evidence from most converted OC's and DC's that they have some superior level of HC ability. Most fail in that spot, NFL is littered with them. At least he has a very clear plan. About as decisive in what he wants to do and accomplish as any coordinator in the league. He knows the path to accomplish it. He knows how to teach it. He knows the players he needs and he can get those players. This all pertaining to offense which makes him even more appealing. 99% of the rest of leagues OC's have a requirement that most teams never find (Excellent passing QB).   

Edited by KzooMike

59 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I don't remember the general thoughts on Roman when we brought him on. Too much discussion over Tyrod and Rex at the time. What I do remember was some of the "This is a passing league comments". I remember fans thinking Roman was past his time. 

As we all know the league changes. Perhaps Roman was a bit past his time a few years ago, perhaps he was ahead of it? I think many coaches will look at what Baltimore is doing and say hey, I'm not going to try and find the Bill Walsh 1 in 50 QB anymore. Why should I? Who can I get that is an athletic passer/runner, develop an outstanding run game and stack the defense. If that's your model who has a better history of executing it than Roman? His level of success is rather absurd, perhaps constantly undervalued during an era where the running game was all but dead. 

His two years here we finished in the top 15 in points scored. Last time we did that in two consecutive years was 1995 and 1996.

He was with the 49ers prior, 3 straight years they finished top 15 in points scored. Last time they accomplished that was 2001, 2002, and 2003. They also went to two NFC championships and one Super Bowl during that time. 

Now with Baltimore, leading the league in points scored and certainly looking poised to go on a deep playoff run. 

I always loved this guys offense. He has done some great things with Kaep and Taylor, and some down right stupid things with Lamar. Lamar is a rare talent, I understand that. But he didn't exactly fail with less.  

I liked Roman a lot and always thought he was the scapegoat for a very underachieving Bills team.

With that being said, I’m not sold that he would be a great Hc

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Roman is an excellent coordinator and is a big part of getting the most out of Jackson’s talents.

Right....how many teams would have asked Lamar to stop running. Learn how to be a NFL quarterback. This guy did the same thing with Kaep and Tyrod. Again, not nearly the talent of Lamar. But he’s got a special ability in the run game nobody else in the league has. In a league with growing pedestrian QB play, that and great defense can do a lot of damage. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

I think the most telling fact is that Kaep and Taylor haven't been able to recreate their success without him.  The dude has put a lot of previously mediocre quarterbacks in a position to succeed.  What we're seeing with LJ now is him acquiring a real talent that matches up well with what he wants to do offensively.  It's a great match

Edited by berg1029
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

This is a good point... not sure it means Roman can’t do the job, and he will likely get a chance to try, but it’s important to remember that being top dawg is always harder than being a coordinator. Roman is in a place with a great example of that- Harbaugh was a ST coordinator and never a OC or DC. He isn’t an offensive guy, or a defensive guy (though he leans defense based on his history) - he’s just a good manager of people and he knows to surround himself with guys like Roman who make him look good!

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is a good point... not sure it means Roman can’t do the job, and he will likely get a chance to try, but it’s important to remember that being top dawg is always harder than being a coordinator. Roman is in a place with a great example of that- Harbaugh was a ST coordinator and never a OC or DC. He isn’t an offensive guy, or a defensive guy (though he leans defense based on his history) - he’s just a good manager of people and he knows to surround himself with guys like Roman who make him look good!

That's the key to success in anything in life as a manager or leader...surround yourself with people who are smarter than you are...unfortunately many people are afraid to do this because they have a big ego, are insecure and think they will take their job...

• Like (+1) 1