Brandt: "People are crazy to tell Josh Allen not to run"

HOUSE

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

true. you toy with JAs natural football instincts and he will be ruined as a QB very quickly. Its happened over and over in this league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually agree with the premise of what he's saying, because he's saying that people shouldn't discourage Allen from scrambling.

100% agree with that.

Allen is most effective as a runner when he scrambles.

He's less effective on designed runs.

I wish we would cut designed runs out of the offense altogether except for 3rd or 4th and short yardage plays where he's a beast.

Allen is a much better scrambler after passing plays break down than a designed runner.

Keep him scrambling.

Stop the designed runs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Allen runs like Cam and Tebow, which is a long term concern. You can't have your QB playing power back.

He should run like Lamar and juke people out of their cleats ?

Power back?  Can you give an example of a play where Allen ran like a power back?

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am not a fan of his designed runs— that’s where most of the fumbles seem to happen. 

He should run more like Mahomes and Wilson—- they scamper for 3rd down conversions. 

this !

Designed runs are only for when we need an inch to get a 1st down

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

Scrambling when necessary? Certainly.

QB sweeps? Certainly not.

An occasional QB draw? Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree.  I think they have reined in Josh’s running this year, for a lot of reasons.  

Oregon has done the same thing this year with Justin Herbert, a guy who reminds me a lot of Josh.  I don’t think the Ducks have called a single designed run for him this year. It’s made their offense easier to defend at times, but I think it’s also made Herbert a better pocket passer—and it’s kept him on the field, and out of the training room.  I think the Bills are doing something like that with Josh, but not to the same degree.  His running is too important to an offense that lacks other weapons.  As the games get more important, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him run more.

If we could have just won that Auburn game we would be in prime playoff position. I also think Herbert has a lot of JA characteristics, I think whoever drafts him will have a very good QB for a long time.

11 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

If we could have just won that Auburn game we would be in prime playoff position. I also think Herbert has a lot of JA characteristics, I think whoever drafts him will have a very good QB for a long time.

If the Ducks win out, which they should, I think they’ll have a good case for making the playoff.  

I think Herbert might end up being a better pro QB than college; he’s perfectly suited to run a pro offense and I don’t think that pistol that the Ducks run plays to his strengths at all.  He should go first overall.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:44 AM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am not a fan of his designed runs— that’s where most of the fumbles seem to happen. 

He should run more like Mahomes and Wilson—- they scamper for 3rd down conversions. 

It seems like most of his fumbles occur while he is dropping back to pass but has to scramble to avoid pass rushers.