Brandt: "People are crazy to tell Josh Allen not to run"

HOUSE

I like the play calls (in regards to Josh's running) that were invoked against Miami this past week. That should be a decent blueprint for success. Of course, other defenses (including the Broncos this week) are significantly better than Miami's. It's doubtful, for example, that Josh will have the time to sit back in the pocket like he did against Miami. The running game (outside of Josh) needs to be better utilized -- beginning this week. (Note that the Broncos' pass defense is significantly better than their run defense.) 

Edited by 2003Contenders

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

I am totally in this camp!   He should run the ball, he's good at it.  He just needs to protect it better because the defenses know he can be prone to fumbling it.

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

what are you talking about? Read option is arguably his best trait as a QB. Did you not see him freezing Miami's entire defense last weekend? 

he did it well at the end of last season also. The problem is Dabboll refuses to use it. Imo if we don't let Allen start running more there is no way we beat some of these tough teams coming up and make the playoffs this year. 

I’ve watched a beast of a Human being , Cam Newton, have his career ended half a decade early by being used as an integral part of the Panther’s Run offense for years behind lacking O lines.

Shula loved the Option and Cam got the snot beaten out of him repeatedly in the process.

So, sure, it can be effective and using it as a ruse to freeze LBs and Safeties is awesome. JA actually keeping the ball on a regular basis and taking the hits is not something I want to see. 
   I want him running in the open and learning to almost ALWAYS slide before taking any hits. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I don't know, man.  I mean, Wilson is such a smart passer and a true student of the game.  He is a passer first and runner second.  I don't see Lamar becoming that sort of player; I think he'll go as long as his legs allow him to, but if it gets to the point where teams can force him to be a pocket passer I don't believe he will be half the QB Wilson is.

Wilson is a HOFer.  Lamar is at this point a novelty, and we don't know what his shelf life will be.

Wilson was a quality QB early in his career, but he wasn't torching teams with his arm. Now he can. He runs much less than he used but still remains a premier dual threat. 

Let's cut Lamar some slack. He's at ~16 games  and looks unreal in year 2. To call him a novelty is a joke. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He can't run like Lamar.  Lamar is just Sick.  No one runs like Lamar, including most of the league's RBs.

I think they've successfully coached most of the "power back" put-your-head-down-and-stiff-arm out of Josh.

Of course not, that's what makes him unique. 

We haven't seen as many explosive runs from Josh in 2019. If that's a result of playcalling, defensive spys, minimizing the powerback role, I don't know, but I don't see the point of having him take those big hits if he's getting you 4-5 yards.  He's a big guy, but those hits add up. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree with this one. It's mind baffling to me how his running has not been emphasized more. When Josh Allen runs the Bills passing offense opens right up.

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

The reason they want him to stay in the pocket is so he can learn the QB position. 

The legs are supposed to be a bonus, not emphasis. 

He needs to be in the pocket as much as he can so he can continue learning the game and working on making every throw.

Last year Josh was bailing the pocket super early. This year he is learning to work a pocket and stay poised. Hes looked much better and is much more patient. 

Why isn't Baltimore concerned about these things with Lamar Jackson?

We've seen enough; Josh Allen is not going to be a classic pocket passer, ever.

Let him run.  It's the only dangerous thing he does.

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Let's cut Lamar some slack. He's at ~16 games  and looks unreal in year 2. To call him a novelty is a joke. 

nov - el - ty (noun) -- the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

Exactly how is it a "joke" to describe Lamar and the Ravens' 2019 offense in this manner?

Just now, eball said:

nov - el - ty (noun) -- the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

Exactly how is it a "joke" to describe Lamar and the Ravens' 2019 offense in this manner?

A mobile QB isn't new, nor are Greg Roman's concepts. 

You're diminishing his accomplishments to date, as well as his opportunity to improve. 

Talent like Jackson doesn't come into the league often. Sit back and enjoy it. 

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Why isn't Baltimore concerned about these things with Lamar Jackson?

We've seen enough; Josh Allen is not going to be a classic pocket passer, ever.

Let him run.  It's the only dangerous thing he does.

Lamar isnt Allen.

If Allen wants to be an all pro QB hes going to have to learn to throw inside the pocket.

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

A mobile QB isn't new, nor are Greg Roman's concepts. 

You're diminishing his accomplishments to date, as well as his opportunity to improve. 

Talent like Jackson doesn't come into the league often. Sit back and enjoy it. 

I'm sorry I had to call you out for not knowing the definition of the word novelty.  You're wrong, the offense that Baltimore has designed around Lamar is most certainly novel.

I haven't diminished Lamar's accomplishments one bit, I simply said we need to see how well this offense ages.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The article here says there is no real correlation between scrambling and injuries.  The real concern for injury is a takedown during a throw.   

My thought is just win anyway you can.   You drafted Allen because he has exceptional physical traits.    Let him use those traits while you build on to them.  Taking away the very traits you drafted him for doesnt make any sense.  

I agree with this line of thinking. Use his unique skill set to get wins. Way too much consternation out there about his running. Perhaps there is no real correlation with injuries and scrambling, but over time the hits add up. So what? Maybe that means a QB like Allen won’t play until he’s 40. Just win games however you can. I don’t think the Ravens are concerned that Jackson won’t be able to do what he’s doing now when he’s 33. The game is changing, so maybe we can dismiss some of the stringent notions of what a modern day QB has to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm sorry I had to call you out for not knowing the definition of the word novelty.  You're wrong, the offense that Baltimore has designed around Lamar is most certainly novel.

I haven't diminished Lamar's accomplishments one bit, I simply said we need to see how well this offense ages.

Yawn. Let me guess, the league will "figure it out"? 

The media and fans love to overhype "revolutionary" offenses and concepts, when they are often minor tweaks. 

McCay runs the old Kubiak/Shanahan scheme with a few jet sweeps. Kingsbury's Air Raid isn't much different than the spread out, 4 WR sets we have seen in New England, and New Orleans for years. RPOs are all the new wave, but they rarely create chunk yardage due to the short time & space realities. Roman has created an ideal situation for Lamar, but that doesn't make it novel. 

Wake me up if somebody wants to build an offense around a modified A-11 or Army triple option. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

Kyle Brandt (GMFB) on the One Bills Drive interview says he believes that all of his three co hosts (Kay Adams, Nate Burleson, and Peter Schrager) have NOT watched a SINGLE snap of the Bills all year. For all of us who read and listen to the media make stale comments on the Bills and wonder what is going on, here's a little proof.

I don’t doubt this one bit. They’re obsessed with the Patriots every waking moment. 

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yawn. Let me guess, the league will "figure it out"? 

The media and fans love to overhype "revolutionary" offenses and concepts, when they are often minor tweaks. 

McCay runs the old Kubiak/Shanahan scheme with a few jet sweeps. Kingsbury's Air Raid isn't much different than the spread out, 4 WR sets we have seen in New England, and New Orleans for years. RPOs are all the new wave, but they rarely create chunk yardage due to the short time & space realities. Roman has created an ideal situation for Lamar, but that doesn't make it novel. 

Wake me up if somebody wants to build an offense around a modified A-11 or Army triple option. 

So angry!  Dude, it's football.  Relax.  Your boy Lamar will get his chance to show this offense isn't a flash in the pan.

Quickly, off the top of my head.......guys who don't run much sitting their asses watching games this year.

Big Ben.  Brees.  Foles.  Brissett.  Flacco.  Keenum.  McCoy.  Stafford.  Newton.  

Now, lets list all the "running" QB's that are hurt......

Ummmmmmm.   Ummmmmmmmm.    Well, ummmmmm.

Let him friggin run.  John Harbaugh and staff embraced all of Lamar's skills.  Let Josh run when he see opportunity to do so.  He's our biggest offensive weapon and his running opens up the skills of the rest of our mediocre offensive players, making them better.

Edited by Lv-Bills

6 hours ago, Mark80 said:

However, they are not going into those piles with a lot of momentum, so the actual force probably isn't as bad as getting hit in the open field by a LB.

Tell that to Mahomes.  Though, that was a bit if a freak accident his own lineman causing a dislocated kneecap.