Brandt: "People are crazy to tell Josh Allen not to run"

HOUSE

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Me thinks someone has never watched the two QBs I’m comparing, not understanding what they are seeing in real time and pulling the trigger On time.

The difference is JP never got it and we are seeing JA starting to get it. 
    Having said that, the middle part of this season was tough to watch.

I’ve watch them both! There is no comparison. You are taking a generic quarterback issue and then making a specific comparison that is way off. A ton of young quarterbacks have this issue.  With your criteria, you could just as easily compare him to a young  Farvre. 

5 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I think Russell Wilson is the gold standard for running qb's.   Elusive, shifty but very aware of where the big hit can come from and geting down quickly.   

Josh has the insincts and the big Gronk stride where he doesn't look fast but he runs by you.   

The majority of qb's that run a lot have shorter careers and miss more games along the way though.

Wilsons never missed a game - pretty crazy.

I’m with Kyle Brandt. Josh is an elite runner. Why would you want him not to run? Injuries can happen on any play so I don’t want to hear that nonsense. The Bills lack playmakers and Josh is one of the few that they have. He needs to make plays with his arms and legs for this team to succeed. He’s a spitting image of a young Cam Newton. 

39 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I watched Wentz against NE as well.  He was missing the throws he made against the Bills.  Hence the different results.  Allen needs to run some to keep the D off balance, and designed runs can be a few of them.  I liked the TD run against Miami......the circumstance where he is most effective is near the goal line....as the run or throw option keeps the D off balance.  I look to him throwing more and faking the run in the future.

Do you know why?

IMO, it's that extra fraction of the second he got to throw, from his offensive line.  Every QB looks worse when they don't get that.  Every.  QB.  It's one big reason Josh looked much better this week than last.  He had time, and more important, he had confidence that he had time.

It's the reason the Patriots BEGGED retired OL coach Dante Scarnecchia to return.  He's the man behind the throne, he really is.  No one can weld scraps and dust bunnies into an effective OL like he can, and I hate like hell that he's a Patriots coach and I'm saying that.  If he could bottle up what he's got and sell it, 31 other teams in the league would queue up and buy.

The Eagles moved the ball in the first half.  They went into the half leading by 1 point.  Both Wentz tackles (Lane Johnson and Peters) went out in the second half, he lost that extra fraction of a second, and the Eagles lost the game.

The difference in the Eagles-Bills game was not passing, it was rushing success.  They ran the ball with some success on us and racked up some YAC.  We didn't try and when we did, we didn't succeed.  Wentz only passed for 3 yards more than Allen.  173 yards, of which he completed only 1 pass longer than 15 yds from the line of scrimmage.  He only threw 24 times though, and most of them were short.  Check it out (passing chart of Wentz for Eagles-Bills game.

image.thumb.png.af9dfd7b3cbfac8c36ff2ce05d782a94.png

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Allen runs like Cam and Tebow, which is a long term concern. You can't have your QB playing power back.

He should run like Lamar and juke people out of their cleats ?

What year is it?  Have you seen how big and strong Josh is?  He will be fine in spot running.  Lamar Jackson on the other

I agree they definitely need to let him utilize all the tools he has & not try to pigeon hole him into a "Pocket passer" he is what he is & he is most dangerous to other teams when he is that guy & last week they let him be that guy, i just hope they continue to let him be who he is !! 

24 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

You are taking a generic quarterback issue

Which is what I said by qualifying it with the “ Rational mind” statement. 

48 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I watched both of them and agree they arent anywhere near the same guy.  J.P. sat back and watched and watched because he could hit one pass, deep and outside the hashes.   Allen is a much more nuanced passer who hits players over the middle of the field, but has a much harder time with throws outside the hash like I just said JP did well.   Maybe they both take time in the pocket but for different reasons.   Like the other poster said, Josh is going through progressions.   JP was waiting for someone to break free deep.    Essentially J.P. was waiting for someone to break off of the called route and turn it into a 9 route while he scrambled around the field.

The reason they want him to stay in the pocket is so he can learn the QB position. 

The legs are supposed to be a bonus, not emphasis. 

He needs to be in the pocket as much as he can so he can continue learning the game and working on making every throw.

Last year Josh was bailing the pocket super early. This year he is learning to work a pocket and stay poised. Hes looked much better and is much more patient. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kyle Brandt once was shopping for houses, and was on the 2nd floor of an open house; apparently, he had zero chance to get out of the house to make a @plenzmd1 upper-deck transaction. 

He finished and immediately ran out of the house and never said anything to anyone until he told that story on the radio in his previous job.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My emotional mind tells me he’s Losman 2.0 without the deep ball, standing back there over processing and over thinking.

My rational mind sees the progress. A thousand times better in the short game. Throwing it away when there is nothing there. Watching Wentz against NE, I saw similar play. His throws are in accurate to the high side.

I don’t like the designed runs where the o line is bunched in tight with TEs. I HATE the read option, it will get him killed. He is best when the safeties are deep and there is room to run: Four or Five wides.

what are you talking about? Read option is arguably his best trait as a QB. Did you not see him freezing Miami's entire defense last weekend? 

he did it well at the end of last season also. The problem is Dabboll refuses to use it. Imo if we don't let Allen start running more there is no way we beat some of these tough teams coming up and make the playoffs this year. 

29 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

This year he is learning to work a pocket and stay poised. Hes looked much better and is much more patient. 

I loved watching him stand in the pocket against Miami. Probably the most confident I've seen him standing back there, going through progressions. 

Let me say it again for the Veruca Salt people; rational fans were never under the impression the Bills were going to the Super Bowl this year. Playoffs, preferably, yes, but the key this year was to come out of the season confident you have your quarterback, and if you don't absolutely see how much better he is getting, and how much better this team is getting, then you're just another fan who gets their joy from watching Bills fans in misery. Hell, his redzone success alone should have fans thrilled.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

I loved watching him stand in the pocket against Miami. Probably the most confident I've seen him standing back there, going through progressions. 

Let me say it again for the Veruca Salt people; rational fans were never under the impression the Bills were going to the Super Bowl this year. Playoffs, preferably, yes, but the key this year was to come out of the season confident you have your quarterback, and if you don't absolutely see how much better he is getting, and how much better this team is getting, then you're just another fan who gets their joy from watching Bills fans in misery. Hell, his redzone success alone should have fans thrilled.

100%. Coming into the year. I honestly didnt see this team even being in the Wildcard race.

We upgraded the line but...we just didnt know how much of an improvement it would be. 

The preseason was an indicator that the focus was making Josh a complete QB. Working on his short passing game and game managing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I think Lamar will be more like Russel Wilson long term. He has the speed and elusiveness to get to the sideline after picking up the first. 

The 40 yard dashes between the tackles are awesome, but not sustainable. 

I don't know, man.  I mean, Wilson is such a smart passer and a true student of the game.  He is a passer first and runner second.  I don't see Lamar becoming that sort of player; I think he'll go as long as his legs allow him to, but if it gets to the point where teams can force him to be a pocket passer I don't believe he will be half the QB Wilson is.

Wilson is a HOFer.  Lamar is at this point a novelty, and we don't know what his shelf life will be.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Allen runs like Cam and Tebow, which is a long term concern. You can't have your QB playing power back.

He should run like Lamar and juke people out of their cleats ?

He can't run like Lamar.  Lamar is just Sick.  No one runs like Lamar, including most of the league's RBs.

I think they've successfully coached most of the "power back" put-your-head-down-and-stiff-arm out of Josh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Kyle Brandt (GMFB) on the One Bills Drive interview says he believes that all of his three co hosts (Kay Adams, Nate Burleson, and Peter Schrager) have NOT watched a SINGLE snap of the Bills all year. For all of us who read and listen to the media make stale comments on the Bills and wonder what is going on, here's a little proof.