Bills have tie breakers over Colts and Raiders

dma0034

5 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

We are fans on a message board, it’s not too early.

And even if you thought it was too early, it’s easy to avoid a thread that’s obviously about playoff tiebreakers.

Thanks for the info, OP.

Should I put up the Christmas tree ?

7 hours ago, dma0034 said:

In common games the Bills are 3-0 (Dolphins-Titans) and the Colts are 2-2 (Wins versus Broncos and Titans, Losses to Dolphins and Steelers).

So a win against the Broncos (or Steelers later) will give them the tiebreaker versus the Colts

This won't matter when we win the division.  I think the Patriots will drop 2 games and then lose to us in week 16.

I hate to be “that guy” but conference record supersedes common opponent record.  https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures. We don’t know how Indy will finish in conference as they still have 3 NFC games left. The Bills have 1. It’s possible that the teams tie but Indy wins more AFC games and finishes ahead of the Bills.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, I get the premise, and it’s not a bad thing to point out. Just seems early to be playing the tie-breaker game already. 

Dude what?      You've been out of the playoff game too long (we all have)  its not too early to point this out at all.

Some teams have easy schedules coming up, we play the two best teams in the AFC and if Brisset rebounds Indy can easily tie us.  Owning the tiebreaker is like getting a free win. 

Tie breakers have kept 11 win teams from making the playoffs before.  ELEVEN wins and you still go home.

Its huge.

When talking wild card, conference record comes before common games. So yeah, beat Denver.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate to be “that guy” but conference record supersedes common opponent record.  https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures. We don’t know how Indy will finish in conference as they still have 3 NFC games left. The Bills have 1. It’s possible that the teams tie but Indy wins more AFC games and finishes ahead of the Bills.

Beat me by a minute. But the Bills have 5 conference games left, not 1. 

EDIT: Okay you were talking about NFC games left. I was talking AFC because, you know, that's our conference. LOL

Edited by Tuco

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The fact that Indy has 3 left makes it easier to work out what their AFC record will be. They are 5-4 in the AFC. The best they can finish is 8-4. The Bills are 5-2 in the AFC. Realistically if we are thinking we need tiebreakers we are probably meaning a 9-7 finish which likely means 7-5 in the AFC. So we need one more Indy loss..... we need a Houston win on Thursday because that means if we beat Denver and the Jets the Colts are the most likely AFCS wildcard team and cannot possibly old a two team tiebreaker over us.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The fact that Indy has 3 left makes it easier to work out what their AFC record will be. They are 5-4 in the AFC. The best they can finish is 8-4. The Bills are 5-2 in the AFC. Realistically if we are thinking we need tiebreakers we are probably meaning a 9-7 finish which likely means 7-5 in the AFC. So we need one more Indy loss..... we need a Houston win on Thursday because that means if we beat Denver and the Jets the Colts are the most likely AFCS wildcard team and cannot possibly old a two team tiebreaker over us.

Not too mention Old Uncle Kirb’s has the Texans +220 to win the AFC South and the Colts under 7.5 wins (not looking so hot here). 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Beating Denver and getting to 8-3 is huge. Do we get to 8 wins Sunday?

1 hour ago, JinxedBill said:

Broncos game is a must win regardless looking ahead at the schedule.  Steelers are also a must win for post season action.

Im tired of the scenario waiting.  Let’s be in the drivers seat.  TCB!

People have been saying games are "must wins" ever since week 1.

I hope people just realize that every single game is important. Losing any game hurts your chances significantly. Winning any game helps your chances significantly. There's only 16 of them.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

How does it work with the Dolphins? We played them twice and the Colts only once - so in the common games record do we get credit for both wins? 

Having the tiebreaker over the Colts is important in my opinion. I still think the Texans ultimately win the South and the two spots come down to the Bills, Raiders and Colts. 

I believe....and I may be wrong here..we get the tiebreaker over the dolphins if need be.

42 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Dude what?      You've been out of the playoff game too long (we all have)  its not too early to point this out at all.

Some teams have easy schedules coming up, we play the two best teams in the AFC and if Brisset rebounds Indy can easily tie us.  Owning the tiebreaker is like getting a free win. 

Tie breakers have kept 11 win teams from making the playoffs before.  ELEVEN wins and you still go home.

Its huge.

Right now we have the tie-breaker over the colts... an extra win. My point is that it's early to worry about this when our destiny is completely in our hands. If we lose to the Broncos we have bigger issues than missing the tie-breaker vs the colts.