Do you still have a landline? Why? Why not?

Augie

Do you still have a landline?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still have a landline

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe they are just saving this planet’s most valuable commodity, WATER, for the rest of us? You should be thanking them! (Even if you have to hold your breath when you are passing by....) 

what is more valuable?  water or Tom Brady's Spice?

south-park-s23e08c15-so-much-spice_16x9.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, Augie said:

Do you still have a landline? I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and my wife brought up ditching the home phone just last night after yet another robocall. I average 4-6 robocalls/day and they seem to be getting worse. I don’t need a car warranty, I don’t have any federal student loans and I don’t need a lower interest rate on my credit cards. Half the time there isn’t even anything on the other end, just silence. I block the numbers, but I don’t think that even slows them down. 

For us it’s not the cost (but that IS is a real thing), just the annoyance of robocalls. We still have the home phone for two reasons. We can call our cell phone if we can’t find it (very rare) and it will tell emergency services where we are if we ever need to call 911 (has NEVER happened, and hope it never will, but....)

It’s gotten to the point that legit calls come in (very rarely) and I start out with a nasty, disgusted  tone until I realize it’s real and someone I need.

How about you?  

Trust me, you can't get away from robo-calls with a cell phone. 

On 11/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, Augie said:

Do you still have a landline? I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and my wife brought up ditching the home phone just last night after yet another robocall. I average 4-6 robocalls/day and they seem to be getting worse. I don’t need a car warranty, I don’t have any federal student loans and I don’t need a lower interest rate on my credit cards. Half the time there isn’t even anything on the other end, just silence. I block the numbers, but I don’t think that even slows them down. 

For us it’s not the cost (but that IS is a real thing), just the annoyance of robocalls. We still have the home phone for two reasons. We can call our cell phone if we can’t find it (very rare) and it will tell emergency services where we are if we ever need to call 911 (has NEVER happened, and hope it never will, but....)

It’s gotten to the point that legit calls come in (very rarely) and I start out with a nasty, disgusted  tone until I realize it’s real and someone I need.

How about you?  

how slim is the slice of emergency situations where the caller could use the landline but not give a location? Even among the ultra rare 911 events, that’s got to be a pretty small sub set 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Trust me, you can't get away from robo-calls with a cell phone. 

how many times do we have to tell you to stop giving your number to women on the internet 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Simon said:

A landline is the only thing I have because I still refuse to own a cell phone. :blush:

Those damn things cause cancer. And they can blow up in your face!!!

How ya doin, Simon?

48 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

telephone-booth-1920s-granger.jpg

I hear these new phones have some kind of phonograph built in

I still have a landline so I know what my other 3 neighbors are up to./

More seriously I haven't hand a landline in over a decade. The only reason to have one was for conference calls at work.
Then you get to listen to that one %$&**** guy on the call that is on his cell that cuts in and out during the call.