Do you still have a landline? Why? Why not?

Augie

Do you still have a landline?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still have a landline

Just now, stuvian said:

I'm sentimentally attached to my land line number

I don’t WANT to get rid of it. I just want to get rid of the robocalls, which made me realize how virtually useless it is. It’s more trouble than benefit, yet I still hang on for some reason. It just seems like you should have a home phone.  @plenzmd1 will tell you how old I am. I still remember party lines and the early days just before the wheel. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

I'm sentimentally attached to my land line number

This too.

I got Wife and I cellphone numbers 20+ years ago.  The last 4 numbers of those are same as last 4 of landline.  The exchange* is just first number different.  I am on the "3", she's on the "5."  

Landline has local area exchange first three numbers.

*Exchange is NOT area code.  Not last 4... But middle 3 or so I always thought going back to named exchanges.

My inlaws are in 80s... That's all they really know is our landline, but MiL is starting to call the cells...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How do cells work with 911 systems? Are VOIPs handling them properly now?

Once again... Safety.  A landline is 24 volts. How do you charge your cellphone in case of an emergency.

Landline can provide emergency power:

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Want E-Lighting?

That's assuming POTS distribution node still has power

But yeah, Ma-Bell is sending out quite a bit of free electricity.  Even if you're not a subscriber

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Went from Verizon landline(~$65 a month for basic service) to Time-Warner Triple Play, to no landline.  Been without for 4-5 years now.  Don't miss it.  Anyone who needs to reach us, has our cell numbers.

I've got the same thing but I interpreted any phone connected to any solid line, like cable, as land line. 

i work from home 3-4 days/week.

call me old school but nothing frustrates me more than one of my team has a poor cellular connection whilst on a conference call, facilitating, presenting or otherwise so i got a land line specifically for company use, it's negligible, $29/mo bad thing is it runs through fiber so internet goes down so does the phone so it's not a true landline IMO.

i don't force my team to have them but i highly recommend it, you're saving $$ from working at home so you can reconstitute some of the cost.

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Cheaper to get cable package with phone than without so we have one still.  The ringer is on mute and the phone hasn't been used in over 5 years since I've lived in this place.

Turning the ringer off may just be the answer for us. I don’t know how it happens, but once in a blue moon we get a “real call” on the home phone. That just might be the price we have to pay. Leave a message and I’ll call you back and give you my cell #. 

Robocalls LIE, btw. They say “we’ve been trying to reach you. This is your LAST CHANCE.” But they just keep calling! 

37 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Please don't let Familia answer.

i was in a packed to capacity NYC sports bar and whathizzname... oh yeah.... Armando Benitez was throwing and it seemed like 1,000 people shouted out at the same time:

SIT THE ****** DOWN!!!!!!

a treasured moment of my life....   :D

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i was in a packed to capacity NYC sports bar and whathizzname... oh yeah.... Armando Benitez was throwing and it seemed like 1,000 people shouted out at the same time:

SIT THE ****** DOWN!!!!!!

a treasured moment of my life....   :D

That is classic.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gomper said:

We got one last year because her oldest gets home from middle school at least an hour before anyone else. It's an in case of an emergency thing. Once both boys can be trusted not to lose a cell, out it goes. 

My kids rarely lost a cell phone, it was virtually attached to them. They would break it instead. The youngest got a new cell phone for Christmas one year. He went to a friends to compare loot, and dropped it in the pool. It lasted less than 4 hours. That insurance comes in VERY handy with kids! 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This too.

I got Wife and I cellphone numbers 20+ years ago.  The last 4 numbers of those are same as last 4 of landline.  The exchange* is just first number different.  I am on the "3", she's on the "5."  

Landline has local area exchange first three numbers.

*Exchange is NOT area code.  Not last 4... But middle 3 or so I always thought going back to named exchanges.

My inlaws are in 80s... That's all they really know is our landline, but MiL is starting to call the cells...

I've had the same number since 1986

• Like (+1) 1