Do you still have a landline? Why? Why not?

Augie

Do you still have a landline?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still have a landline

16 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

ObiTalk 200: $70 on Amazon

Google Voice: Free

No monthly phone bill

Free long distance

Free voicemail

Free texting

Unknown callers are greeted by "Please state your name for the Google Voice subscriber" before connecting.  This trips up most robo-dialers and telemarketing call centers

Sure the NSA and Google are listening, but so are your land line providers

I love the voice screening on my pixel

We have landline.  I used to work in cell phone industry and know with a good landline phone provider the sound quality is better than a cell phone. The problem is finding such a provider.  We currently have Verizon package and having Verizon makes me feel like if I was required to hang a P*ts flag at my house but the alternate is Cox which is equivalent to hang a Phish flag at my home. 

We have bought an add-on spam identifier/blocking device which works except for some of the spammers who regularly change their numbers and I think they are using caller id spoofing considering how many different numbers they use.  

Oh and there are two sounds which auto dialers recognize as number out of service.  Occasionally I will play on computer with phone on speaker and some do not call back.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Absolutely....and my phone setup only allows me to block 25 numbers which I seem to have exhausted in the first month. 

I think you could get elected to public office if you promise to fix this single issue! 

You could break the promise, as is standard procedure, but you WOULD get elected!  ?

30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Oh and there are two sounds which auto dialers recognize as number out of service.  Occasionally I will play on computer with phone on speaker and some do not call back.

I used to have that sound as the beginning of my answering machine message. Might just go back to it one of these days and see how it works on my cell phone. 

Because... Safety.  Everybody is cutting cord, that means "all cell circuits will be jammed in the event of emergency or disaster."  Landlines will be less stressed.

30 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Absolutely....and my phone setup only allows me to block 25 numbers which I seem to have exhausted in the first month. 

My new landline cordless phones block 2,000.  And had Bluetooth... So cellphones (up to two) will ring thru on my landline cordless... Or dial out.  Put the cell pn charge and use cordless landline.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think you could get elected to public office if you promise to fix this single issue! 

You could break the promise, as is standard procedure, but you WOULD get elected!  ?

I think I would have a good shot until someone digs up my past indiscretions and finds out I dressed up up in black face every Halloween since 1983.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I used to have that sound as the beginning of my answering machine message. Might just go back to it one of these days and see how it works on my cell phone. 

Cellphone you can block the # and at times your carrier will recognize it as high volume spammer, spoofer.

But... A blocked call will still appear as blocked in your notifications tray. Or, in the log.

19 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think I would have a good shot until someone digs up my past indiscretions and finds out I dressed up up in black face every Halloween since 1983.

If you just keep it on until the next year, it’s just you. Right? 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cellphone you can block the # and at times your carrier will recognize it as high volume spammer, spoofer.

But... A blocked call will still appear as blocked in your notifications tray. Or, in the log.

I can block them from my landline too, but they have so many trunk line numbers, it’s virtually hopeless. I get them on my cell, but it’s a tiny fraction of what I get on the landline for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because... Safety.  Everybody is cutting cord, that means "all cell circuits will be jammed in the event of emergency or disaster."  Landlines will be less stressed.

My new landline cordless phones block 2,000.  And had Bluetooth... So cellphones (up to two) will ring thru on my landline cordless... Or dial out.  Put the cell pn charge and use cordless landline.

My landline has bluetooth and I connected it to my cell and kept getting robocalls on my cell, so I unpaired it.

• Sad 1

We do, mainly because it was actually cheaper to get the bundle package w/cable and internet. 

Weve talked about bout getting rid of it because it’s all robo-calls and scams. But it’s nice to have that home number to give out on forms and anything else online that requires a phone #.

I fear that if I only have my cell # to give out, I will eventually get just all those robo calls on my cell instead. 

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know all that. I've currently have blocked 174 numbers on my phone. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I know all that. I've currently have blocked 174 numbers on my phone. 

I’m sure I have at least that many blocked at home.....and still keep getting calls from the same places! 

Sometimes I play along and hit a number from the menu just to have someone to yell at. They just hang up. What a great job....they must hate their lives. 

• Haha (+1) 2

No longer. We had a landline until last year. I had no idea what the number was as we only had it for the alarm. I never used the landline to make a call in all the years we had it. Hubby finally had us switch over to an alarm system that used our cell phones for notifications, and then we ditched the landline. (Our fax number is through the internet.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

No longer. We had a landline until last year. I had no idea what the number was as we only had it for the alarm. I never used the landline to make a call in all the years we had it. Hubby finally had us switch over to an alarm system that used our cell phones for notifications. and then we ditched the landline. (Our fax number is through the internet.)

That’s a good point. We almost never use the fax, but I need to look into the alarm system.