revisiting 2018 draft possibilities. Did we overpay?

Pete

I love Josh, and I'm happy he is the Bills QB.  That being said, me, and several others lobbied to hold onto all our draft picks, trade back if anything, and stand pat and draft Lamar Jackson.  We got ridiculed by many.

Alphadawg created a whole thread, The Case For Lamar Jackson.

Let the record state on 3/28/18- I am extremely against trading up into top 6 for QB- and massively overpaying.  The opportunity cost of squandering picks 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, 96 and a 2019 1st(which will be a high draft pick if we sacrifice drafts for a rookie QB).  Impact players that the Bills could miss out on(and whom would instantly upgrade Bills starters) include:

Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, Denzel Ward, Lamar Jackson, Ronald Jones, Guice,  Vander Esch, James Washington, Cortland Sutton, Mike Hughes, Nick Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Mata’afa, Rashan Evans, Taven Bryan, Harrison Phillips, Josh Jackson, Christian Kirk, Hayden Hurst, Payne, Equanemius, Baker, Sam Hubbard, Ballage, etc.

Imagine if we stayed pat(or even better traded back)- the depth we would have on this team. Moral of the story- don't trade up, keep your picks,stockpile draft picks, let the board come to you

We could have 7 of the above and all our draft picks.  Or we can risk it all on a QB ad give all that up.

Please revisit and either give me **** or give me props.  Peace out

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, Virgil said:

No.  It’s been said in a few places that the Cards wanted Allen. That’s why we traded up.  

Now, will be be worthy of such a pick?  Check back in January of next year 

so let them.  We stand pat, and draft Lamar Jackson then.  

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Let’s revisit this in 5 years. The style of quarterback Lamar plays has shown it doesn’t have a long shelf life. 

fair enough.  Josh is an athletic freak himself.  He might very well end up being the right move

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pete said:

He went last for a reason.  Stop with the hindsight.  It was one of the most QB needy drafts in recent memory and everyone passed on him. 

Also, Lamar isn’t who he is right now if he’s not playing in that Roman offense.  Right place, right time. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

He went last for a reason.  Stop with the hindsight.  It was one of the most QB needy drafts in recent memory and everyone passed on him. 

Also, Lamar isn’t who he is right now if he’s not playing in that Roman offense.  Right place, right time. 

3/28/18 is not hindsight brother

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

fair enough.  Josh is an athletic freak himself.  He might very well end up being the right move

No one should ever trade up, unless you going to get a blue chip franchise QB at the top of the draft.

That's my rule at least.

McBeane love to trade up all the time and have been burned by it.

• Like (+1) 1

You move up for a franchise quarterback if you think you need to.  You better be right though (see Trubisky, Leaf, RG3, etc.).  Although not great of late, I don't think the Eagles regret trading up for Wentz.  I don't think the Chiefs regret trading up for Mahomes.  Donahoe by all reports was trying to find a trading partner to move up for Roethlisberger.

I'm more hesitant with other positions but if you think that guy will help your football team immensely and he won't last unless you make a move then go for it.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I love Josh, and I'm happy he is the Bills QB.  That being said, me, and several others lobbied to hold onto all our draft picks, trade back if anything, and stand pat and draft Lamar Jackson.  We got ridiculed by many.

Alphadawg created a whole thread, The Case For Lamar Jackson.

Let the record state on 3/28/18- I am extremely against trading up into top 6 for QB- and massively overpaying.  The opportunity cost of squandering picks 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, 96 and a 2019 1st(which will be a high draft pick if we sacrifice drafts for a rookie QB).  Impact players that the Bills could miss out on(and whom would instantly upgrade Bills starters) include:

Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, Denzel Ward, Lamar Jackson, Ronald Jones, Guice,  Vander Esch, James Washington, Cortland Sutton, Mike Hughes, Nick Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Mata’afa, Rashan Evans, Taven Bryan, Harrison Phillips, Josh Jackson, Christian Kirk, Hayden Hurst, Payne, Equanemius, Baker, Sam Hubbard, Ballage, etc.

Imagine if we stayed pat(or even better traded back)- the depth we would have on this team. Moral of the story- don't trade up, keep your picks,stockpile draft picks, let the board come to you

We could have 7 of the above and all our draft picks.  Or we can risk it all on a QB ad give all that up.

Please revisit and either give me **** or give me props.  Peace out

Wait, what?  We picked 7, 16, 96 in the first three rounds of 2018 and at 9 in the first in 2019.  So we essentially traded 12, 22, 53, 56, and 65 for 7 and 16 (we also got 154 [Siran Neal] from BAL but we're just talking first three rounds I guess).

So we have Allen, Edmunds, Harrison Phillips.  Are there a couple of guys in that list above I'd love to add?  Sure, and we might have gotten a couple of them had we stood pat and kept the extra three picks (maybe even still getting Edmunds and Phillips!).  There's also a few that look like busts at the moment.  I don't think the sky fell quite like Alphadawg thought it might by trading up. 

Edited by LeviF91
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

the last part

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

or learn from past mistakes

Who’s going to be doing all this learning  ? Fans don’t make the picks. If too many wrong moves are made, those who make them will pay with their jobs. It’s still too early to say if that will happen here. I have to concur with the thinking that L Jackson is running an unorthodox, creative scheme. The Bills don’t have those coaches, and would probably want him to be a pocket passer. Most NFL types don’t think outside the box in that way, as seen during the combine prior to that draft. Many though of Jackson as a WR at the NFL level. Bills fans will know a lot more at the end of the 2020 season, and it may be that Beane and co are on the hot seat by then. 

This love obsession over a 1 dimensional QB is starting to become the stuff of legend. Time has proven running QBs get figured out, injured and fade out. Why do you think we're encouraging Josh to be an "actual" QB? Yes the Ravens scheme is flashy and exciting, and dare I say sexy. But we've all read this story before so why is the ending different in this case? He's a brilliant athlete with lightning speed and elusiveness. But he's an average passer that will be asked to do more once the whole 3 TE set thing gets figured out, and it will. And that's if he doesn't suffer an injury or a series of concussions first. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1