Should reviews/challenges require some SKIN IN THE GAME?

The NHL has a new approach to challenges this year. You can challenge as much as you want, with the caveat, when you are wrong,  you get a 2min penalty the first time and 4min double minor after that! What this has done is eliminate many frivolous reviews and stoppages. The game as a result is at 2:28, the shortest in years, and some games have no challenges. It has largely reduced the nasty Offside reviews in super slo-mo after a goal and goalie interferences. In short, if its not important and crystal clear enough- it isn't being challenged.

How about something similar in the NFL? And, I'm not looking for football is different than hockey. Honestly, Do you think it has potential to solve some issues? I do!

Now I'm old enough to remember the Mike Renfro non-catch for the Oilers against the Steelers in the championship game. This would be an example of a scoring play well worth the challenge and end result. Given the score and situation, we can all come up with dozens of plays that were worth a challenge and perhaps the consequences  perhaps a 5 yard pen and loss of TO, 10 yard pen, 15 yards , etc. (this can be worked out easily enough). What I see and hear is "we just want to get it right" . Well excuse me, but does anybody really see that things are better. We have review and challenges that everyone in the world can see and still get it wrong. Furthermore, I'm sick of the first quarter 4 yard out pass for a first down and review (sarcasm). If its crystal clear and worth it, then go for it and suffer the consequences, if not,  let's not interrupt the flow of the game. Could the call in the Saints/Rams game have been corrected? Sure, I don't see why not, and these are the ones that really matter. NFL football was better when you had to overcome some of the minute in game calls, and you just played on.  An example might go something like this.  You are called for lining up Offside on third down, it keeps a drive going in the second quarter, you have a 50/50 chance of being correct from your video guy upstairs. Is it worth it? Or, is it damn, it went against us , the refs aren't always right. Play on.

My personal caveat is, I don't want a team to get screwed when it really matters, like Mike Renfro,  and the Saints. And, they wouldn't. Why shouldn't it cost you to challenge the officiating? Let's improve the flow of the game, and reduce the number of frivolous challenges.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm confused.  You want to increase the likelihood of getting more accurate calls on reviews by punishing the challenger when the result isn't in their favor?  Or you want to increase the likelihood of getting more accurate calls on reviews by reducing the number of challenges?

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Im OK with this if they actually get the call right. So many reviews have clear evidence on what the call should be and somehow the ref looks at it and rules it complete opposite. The fact that they would get the call wrong after review and then give that team a penalty on top of it, would have fan bases storming the field to string up the refs.. lol

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I'm confused.  You want to increase the likelihood of getting more accurate calls on reviews by punishing the challenger when the result isn't in their favor?  Or you want to increase the likelihood of getting more accurate calls on reviews by reducing the number of challenges?

Neither. The NHL has achieved a positive result by letting you challenge as much as you want, but with consequences when it is not crystal clear and worth it to you. The flow of the game is better than trying to achieve the perfection standard of officiating.

8 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Im OK with this if they actually get the call right. So many reviews have clear evidence on what the call should be and somehow the ref looks at it and rules it complete opposite. The fact that they would get the call wrong after review and then on top give that team a penalty on top of it, would have fan bases storming the field to string up the refs.. lol

Could what you describe happen? Yes. However, I think you would find that only egregious calls would be challenged. The ones that the league would understand that if its challenged, then it must be worth it to the team.  Therefore, we need to take a better look at it.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I like the idea but I would prefer they find a way to simply improve officiating the fist time around.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  A major effort to reform officiating and improve its consistency is long overdue.

No argument from me. I would also like to see a review of overly technical rules, which cause problems for the officials.

I like where this whole "some real skin in the game" is going. However I would suggest they go a little further. Have an independent review panel for all challenges. If the coach loses the call he gets a solid kick in the nards but if he wins the challenge the ref must receive a similar fate. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I like where this whole "some real skin in the game" is going. However I would suggest they go a little further. Have an independent review panel for all challenges. If the coach loses the call he gets a solid kick in the nards but if he wins the challenge the ref must receive a similar fate. 

I agree with the review panel part. Needs to be some sort of war room set up somewhere with a group of educated Sr officials reviewing these plays live and phones in a ruling to on field referee after. This would keep rulings equal across the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I agree with the review panel part. Needs to be some sort of war room set up somewhere with a group of educated Sr officials reviewing these plays live and phones in a ruling to on field referee after. This would keep rulings equal across the NFL.

I all seriousness I think that is the way to do it. I think that they should see the footage and not know the original ruling.

10 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I like where this whole "some real skin in the game" is going. However I would suggest they go a little further. Have an independent review panel for all challenges. If the coach loses the call he gets a solid kick in the nards but if he wins the challenge the ref must receive a similar fate. ?

Now there's a novel idea!

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think the NFL should scrap reviews

Even on scoring plays?

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I like the idea but I would prefer they find a way to simply improve officiating the fist time around.

I just don't think this is possible.  I hear a lot about how bad the officiating is getting...but I dont see it.   in the 80s and 90s bad calls were expected and understood...and THEY HAPPENED, a LOT.  Now we micro-evaluate everything, create a MEME and talk about it in real time on twitter...frame by frame.   There is no way for a human to watch and see everything right, sometimes the camera has a better angle.   Oh and they constantly add new rules and never remove any so the refs have more to watch for.  If you want it RIGHT, then technology has to be part of the equation.

• Like (+1) 1