Are we in trouble with Ford?

Ramza86

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Ford has played more snaps than people appreciate, and he has done better as the season has progressed.  Ford will struggle against Miller, every tackle in the league does, but he will hold his own. 

He certainly can’t struggle any more than Dawkins on Garrett.

IMO Run the Ball at Von Miller and wear him down, screen behind him. 

Josh might need to avoid his inclination to roll right 

• Like (+1) 1

I recently heard an offensive line coach on the Sirius college station say that it is now MUCH harder to develop offensive linemen than it used to be because they are not allowed to practice as much.

Do I know this to be true? No, but I am not seeing players leave school and knocking the NFL on it's ass ala Orlando Pace, or for that matter Jason Taylor.

I expect Ford to be a good blocker fairly soon and if it happens to be at Guard in lieu of Tackle, so be it.  

It is always refreshing to see the Bills devote resources to blocking.

Now, we need receivers and there just so many of them in the 2020 draft. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I recently heard an offensive line coach on the Sirius college station say that it is now MUCH harder to develop offensive linemen than it used to be because they are not allowed to practice as much.

Do I know this to be true? No, but I am not seeing players leave school and knock the NFL on it's ass ala Orlando Pace, or for that matter Jason Taylor.

I expect Ford to be a good blocker fairly soon and if it happens to be at Guard in lieu of Tackle, so be it.  

Orlando Pace.

I just need to pause to admire that guy, as a football player and a man.

Ahhhhhh.

I now return y'all to your regular programs.

A huge key to young players on the Oline is to minimize the number of plays where it's an obvious passing down, especially for the tackles who have to deal with the edge guys.  

There's a lot onus on Daboll and Josh to keep the chains moving and keep the defenses guessing.  As the game goes on they need to see how the rookie is holding up and call plays/make adjustments accordingly.

The upside is at least it's not our left tackle, so Josh can usually see if a breakdown happens.   The other plus is that both our running backs seem to block well, and keeping them around to chip and slow Von down a little is always good for our qb's health. 

He's getting older now too, I can't imagine it's the same guy who won MVP in the superbowl years ago.

Bills 20-10

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have not watched a Broncos game but Miller is not playing at his previous standard of team are able to take plan him out.  Expect Bills to see what has worked for other teams and copy.

They are missing Bradley Chubb desperately

He’ll be fine the remainder of the year, but he’s not the future.

I’d bet we draft a Tackle... (Alex Leatherwood). That’s who I’m going for. Should be a round 1 guy, anywhere from 10-25, he may be gone. Stepped in for Jonah Williams at LT no problem. 

That will slide Ford to RG, Feliciano to LG. Don’t see the Bills signing Spain to a long term contract.

Dawkins  Feliciano Morse  Ford  Leatherwood 

thats what is see. So that won’t happen lol

Edited by CEN-CAL17

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Ford cant handle the outside speed rush.....He's too slow to play T at a high level.  Having to play against Von Miller this week presents a huge mismatch in favor of Denver.

Big downgrade going from Nsekhe to Ford.

He has gotten better with footwork throughout the year, but yes he has struggled with this mightily. We should see a chip by a RB (if not a downright double team) or TE to Miller's outside shoulder as each releases to slow him down and give Ford a chance to set his feet and engage. That should really help him with the speed rush.

Also not getting in too many obvious passing situations, and varying the snap count will all help. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

McD should move Morse to RT, Ford to LG, Feliciano to LT, Dawkins to C, and Spain to CB to cover those bigger WR’s for Wallace.  That would be way better.

You forgot Ed Oliver to RG...but who's counting...

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

McD should move Morse to RT, Ford to LG, Feliciano to LT, Dawkins to C, and Spain to CB to cover those bigger WR’s for Wallace.  That would be way better.

If we still had McDermott that would work like a charm. Damn Jets!!

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Ford is a RT. He is just a rookie RT.  Believe it or not, Rookies often take time to adjust and learn. 

I think Ford, like Dawkins, was projected to be a guard in the pros which suggests that he's likely to be a JAG OT but a better OG.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do I know this to be true? No, but I am not seeing players leave school and knocking the NFL on it's ass ala Orlando Pace, or for that matter Jason Taylor.

Laremy Tunsil says "hi".   It's much harder to develop OLers when they don't have the skill set to play OT in the NFL, which is why many college OTs become OGs in the pros.  Both Dawkins and Ford were projected to be guards in the pros which  means they were lacking significant skills that pro OTs need.  It's likely why both have struggled.