2019 Biils = 2018 Bears?

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Parallels but not the same. 

Let's see what we do with all our draft picks and cap space, we could be a much more talented team next year. 

Allen has more upside than Trubisky 

Agreed, Trubiskys ceiling was Tannehill.

9 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills schedule will be harder next year but they will have more talent.  I expect a similar win total.  

Will it be? 

Most people expected the Jets to be a playoff team this year; ditto for Cleveland.  Look how Pitt went from a possible Super Bowl team to a team likely to finish under 500.  Until we actually start playing games next season we have no idea whether it will be a weak or hard schedule.

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills schedule will be harder next year but they will have more talent.  I expect a similar win total.  

I hope so.  It all depends upon Beane & Co's ability to scout offensive talent and willingness to pull the trigger a few times on the O side of the ball.

It also all depends upon what's between Allen's ears.  If he keeps fighting to improve, and takes another step, the sky is the limit!

Bears have had 2 garbage fluke seasons since 2000, with Jauron and last season, totally undeserved and totally exposed the next season.

maybe due to it being the weakest division in football for a long time now?

• Like (+1) 1

this comparison has been made since like the patriots loss. Except there is ZERO hype around Allen like there was with Trubisky lol. I guess theres a comparison...but, who cares? We are 7-3 against the teams we have played, and theres no secret we have a really solid defense that is the strength of our team, and an offense that needs to keep improving. We will likely face a really tough opponent if we make it to the wildcard round and who knows what will happen. 

Next years schedule, as of now, does look a lot harder. And even if we get better we could struggle to get to 10/11 wins. NFC West looks really good. But, its way too early to call it a tough schedule (its too difficult week to week let alone a year out!) with injuries/free agency/coaching changes/luck etc. Who knows so what is the point of comparing the two? 

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Possibly.   But difference is we didnt blow all our first rounders on a terrible QB and a DE...so we can still add talent this year thru draft and 90 million in cap room.  

We will get better next year.  They regressed. 

This. The difference is we didn’t trade the top half of a draft away for a defensive end.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

This. The difference is we didn’t trade the top half of a draft away for a defensive end.

Yeah they made that Mack trade to like - be elite. And it sort of worked year 1 with all those takeaways. Trubiskey is a miss tho, so back to the drawing board. I'd expect them to draft a QB but they may also be in the market for a vet.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yeah they made that Mack trade to like - be elite. And it sort of worked year 1 with all those takeaways. Trubiskey is a miss tho, so back to the drawing board. I'd expect them to draft a QB but they may also be in the market for a vet.

Yep. It’s the kind of move you ONLY make when you know you’re set at QB, it looks like they miscalculated badly on Trubisky. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yep. It’s the kind of move you ONLY make when you know you’re set at QB, it looks like they miscalculated badly on Trubisky. 

during the offseason before the second season of a QB the opponents take a 100% microscope review of his first year work

they can't put the resources into it during the season, so rookies and other surprises erupt for a season

leads to "sophomore slumps"

• Like (+1) 1

I dunno, Ive seen a couple Bears games this year and rarely do I ever see Nagy clap profusely. These teams are similar in Defense otherwise.

I also think the Biils are setup nice for next year. 

Edited by r00tabaga

It's definitely a good topic.

A lot has been touched on but I will add this:

I never liked Trubisky.   Didn't understand the fuss about him as a prospect.  But I thought the Bears did a much, much better job of propping him up last year than the Bills have done with Allen this year.   Allen has been in sink or swim mode with this personnel and complicated offense all season and he's held his own.    That's encouraging if nothing else.

That Bears D was a lot more physical than this Bills D this year.  Despite the fact that they are both good that is the difference to me.  Bills D is finesse and positioning by comparison.

The Bills are an old team.......6th or 7th oldest in the league...........so it's fair to wonder if they are really ascending roster wise yet.    They aren't just stacking cheese here Beane is going to have to keep up a lot of maneuvering just to maintain.

But IMO the framework is there to build on and they have the resources from The Pegs and winning is a good look in recruiting and helps keep the message on point in the locker room so there is much reason for optimism that they won't regress or plateau over the next couple seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills are an old team.......6th or 7th oldest in the league...........so it's fair to wonder if they are really ascending roster wise yet.

LOL.  You think Frank Gore and Lorax have anything to do with that?  And so we don't overreact to this statistic the Bills' average age at cutdown was 26.3 and the youngest team (Miami) was 25.2.  The Pats*** are the oldest at 27.0.

The Bills are very young in a lot of key areas -- QB, RB, TE, LB, DT, CB

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That Bears D was a lot more physical than this Bills D this year.  Despite the fact that they are both good that is the difference to me.  Bills D is finesse and positioning by comparison.

Agree with this.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

so why did they fluke out with last year?

bad division and 4 games against another bad division?

So they went 5-1 in their own division. Then they beat the Cardinals, 49ers, Bills and Jets all of whom were differing degrees of useless. They were well coached and played up to a good level and won some tight games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with this.

So they went 5-1 in their own division. Then they beat the Cardinals, 49ers, Bills and Jets all of whom were differing degrees of useless. They were well coached and played up to a good level and won some tight games.

and the media jumped on and hyped this "winning horse" the last half of the season

same old Bears, can't find a good QB since Sid Luckman

6 minutes ago, eball said:

LOL.  You think Frank Gore and Lorax have anything to do with that?  And so we don't overreact to this statistic the Bills' average age at cutdown was 26.3 and the youngest team (Miami) was 25.2.  The Pats*** are the oldest at 27.0.

The Bills are very young in a lot of key areas -- QB, RB, TE, LB, DT, CB

Their age rank isn't by any means deceptive........it's reflective of the fact that they are going to require more turnover than most.

You can sustain that way.   The Pats excel at turning over the roster and still playing excellent football.

And on the flip side as I've mentioned many times the SB winning Seahawks were the youngest team in the entire NFL and just a few years later their roster was unrecognizable and they were rebuilding as a QB/offense driven team.

Good organizations know that changing on the fly is key to success.........I don't sweat it if the Bills want to live on the older side of the roster scale..........but by the same token people gotta' stop with the "we got 9 new starters wadduya expect!" like that's some big excuse in the high turnover NFL. :lol:

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Lots of wins against bad teams.  Great defense.   Lots of hype around the young QB.  Etc Etc.   Big falloff the next season against better competition.   1) Is this what we have to look forward to or 2) are the Bills being built to last?    I believe in #2 (obviously).  Bills get AFC and NFC West next season/lots of west coast travel/prime games etc. 

What say you?  

You are not the first person to draw this analogy and I think it's relevant.

Allen gets by, now, on "he's still learning" and "he's young" and all of this.

That crap will all finally go away only next year.

He'll still be the same player he has always been.  The difference will be fan expectations will have changed and patience will have worn thin.

And then this fanbase will start to catch on that we need to find a QB.

The schedule next year is brutal.  Expect a regression for sure.

Edited by Nextmanup