2019 Biils = 2018 Bears?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We should be more sustainable since we are not relying on as many "luck" factors such as turnovers or large comebacks. The games we have won we have generally been in control of for the majority of game. But if Allen does not keep improving then maybe.

the Jets/Fish and Bengals furballed away totally won games against the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I say, let's focus on this Sunday only

What is it with people writing this sort of thing here?

What we write here has no bearing on anything, let alone how the team plays in real games.

Do people not understand that?

3 hours ago, eball said:

Why do some feel the incessant need to compare teams from different organizations and different years?  Each year and each team face different circumstances and are made up of different players and coaches.  I don't know what purpose it serves unless you're simply trying to "rank" all-time best or worst squads.

Young QB and good defense.  Those are the only two parallels that can be drawn between the '19 Bills and '18 Bears.  And by themselves they say absolutely nothing.

Actually those two similarities are kinda important; and Trubisky had much better year  ???

Edited by SeattleBills

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You are not the first person to draw this analogy and I think it's relevant.

Allen gets by, now, on "he's still learning" and "he's young" and all of this.

That crap will all finally go away only next year.

He'll still be the same player he has always been.  The difference will be fan expectations will have changed and patience will have worn thin.

And then this fanbase will start to catch on that we need to find a QB.

The schedule next year is brutal.  Expect a regression for sure.

Days like this past Sunday must make you miserable.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't know. I think Trubisky is getting a bad rap.  The whole team is blowing it.  I saw part of the game Sunday and he made a really nice TD pass to Cohen.  He had one tip drill pick that bounced off the WRs hands.  His idiot kicker missed 2 FGs.  I know QB gets all credit for wins and all blame for losses but really at least from what I've seen appears to be a whole team melt down.

I'm just hoping we're not like the 2018  Chargers.  They went to playoffs and won a game.  This year looked bright but now they are sucking eggs and their season is over 11 games in.

Just because things are looking up doesn't mean it will stay that way year over year.  Let's take care of bidness THIS YEAR.  Strike while the iron is hot.

GO BILLS !!

39 minutes ago, row_33 said:

But since week one I think our biggest comeback has been 7- which is more my point- every year there are teams that trip over themselves weekly so it is to expected some of the time.

25 minutes ago, SeattleBills said:

Actually this dude has nailed it ... revisit in one year.

And you're the reincarnation of whom?

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

This is called taking some extreme liberties with the facts.

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What is it with people writing this sort of thing here?

What we write here has no bearing on anything, let alone how the team plays in real games.

Do people not understand that?

To me, it's just too difficult to say how we'll be the following year.  Before the season started, our current schedule looked to be more difficult then what it actually is and we were pinned to only win 4-6 games according to the so-called experts.  Now we're looking at possibly having a double digit win season, whether that's cuz of strength of schedule, an improved team, or both.  Yes, next years' teams that we'll be playing prove to be difficult matches now because of how they're performing this year.  But that will completely change because of everything that happens in the off-season. 

Despite all that's happened this year, we're an overturned Mayfield fumble/forward pass call and a special teams mistake vs the Patriots from being 9-1.  Philly is the only team that really took us down hard.

I remain amazed at how critical some fans can be of their team.  Sports are here to be enjoyed, and yet in the middle of a winning season with pretty high playoff probability some of these responses are head scratching.  We've already won more games than last year with SIX more to go.

In the spirit of the original post, I'll draw one comparison to the Bears last year:   They were eliminated by weak special teams play, and we obviously have some serious cleaning up to do there, or that might bite us too.  We've allowed a blocked punt, onsides kick, had numerous illegal blocks every week through week 6 (seems to be better now), some huge returns on kickoffs and punts. 

I can hear Marv Levy's voice in the back of my head "special teams is equally important to offense and defense".   I know Sean preaches it too, but I question the competency of the coaching there and the results we've seen thus far.   I expect the kick coverage teams to be breathing fire this Sunday after they see the film and get the talking to they need.

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Despite all that's happened this year, we're an overturned Mayfield fumble/forward pass call and a special teams mistake vs the Patriots from being 9-1.  Philly is the only team that really took us down hard.

I remain amazed at how critical some fans can be of their team.  Sports are here to be enjoyed, and yet in the middle of a winning season with pretty high playoff probability some of these responses are head scratching.  We've already won more games than last year with SIX more to go.

In the spirit of the original post, I'll draw one comparison to the Bears last year:   They were eliminated by weak special teams play, and we obviously have some serious cleaning up to do there, or that might bite us too.  We've allowed a blocked punt, onsides kick, had numerous illegal blocks every week through week 6 (seems to be better now), some huge returns on kickoffs and punts. 

I can hear Marv Levy's voice in the back of my head "special teams is equally important to offense and defense".   I know Sean preaches it too, but I question the competency of the coaching there and the results we've seen thus far.   I expect the kick coverage teams to be breathing fire this Sunday after they see the film and get the talking to they need.

We could do the same thing and have a much worse record too.  But we are 7-3.  We have a very good defense (a pass rusher from being elite) and a young qb who we hope is growing.  The next step is to see if we have Russell Wilson or Big Ben or we have a Sanchez, Bortles, or Mitchell. 

11 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Lots of wins against bad teams.  Great defense.   Lots of hype around the young QB.  Etc Etc.   Big falloff the next season against better competition.   1) Is this what we have to look forward to or 2) are the Bills being built to last?    I believe in #2 (obviously).  Bills get AFC and NFC West next season/lots of west coast travel/prime games etc. 

What say you?  

In 2017 the bears were 2-6 in one score games. They go 6-2 they would have been in the hunt for a WC

in 2018 they were 6-4 in one score games

this year they have bern 2-4 in one score games.

The packers were 2-6 last year and 5-1 this year.

chargers 7 losses have been by one score. Last year they went 11-5.

notice a trend here...

It is a solid comparison. However unlike the Bears who invested a lot of draft capital and cap space to acquire Mack and upgrade their team overall the Bills have the draft picks and cap space going forward to upgrade their roster in 2020 and beyond. The Bears were capped out this past off-season and have limited flexibility in 2020. They also don't have a lot of draft choices this upcoming season either. 

I think Bills are built for more long term prudent success than the Bears who added a lot of talent in one off-season but did so by tying up their draft capital and cap dollars. The Bills however will have 80-100 million in cap space (depending on who they cut) along with all their draft capital. I also think Allen is a better prospect than Mitch so there is that. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It is a solid comparison. However unlike the Bears who invested a lot of draft capital and cap space to acquire Mack and upgrade their team overall the Bills have the draft picks and cap space going forward to upgrade their roster in 2020 and beyond. The Bears were capped out this past off-season and have limited flexibility in 2020. They also don't have a lot of draft choices this upcoming season either. 

I think Bills are built for more long term prudent success than the Bears who added a lot of talent in one off-season but did so by tying up their draft capital and cap dollars. The Bills however will have 80-100 million in cap space (depending on who they cut) along with all their draft capital. I also think Allen is a better prospect than Mitch so there is that. 

Exactly. It's not like the Bills are a finished product.

2 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Exactly. It's not like the Bills are a finished product.

Bingo, The Bills have the ability to add significant talent and keep their own talent this off-season. They can go after a big prime time pass rusher and run stuffer while also retaining drafted players and addressing depth. They then have their draft choices to add other pieces of talent such as a receiver and a RT. 

Overall the Bills are well positioned to make a serious run the next two seasons. 

59 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

In 2017 the bears were 2-6 in one score games. They go 6-2 they would have been in the hunt for a WC

in 2018 they were 6-4 in one score games

this year they have bern 2-4 in one score games.

The packers were 2-6 last year and 5-1 this year.

chargers 7 losses have been by one score. Last year they went 11-5.

notice a trend here...

That the difference between winning and losing in the NFL is often a single score?

I thought it was pretty well known that outside of the top 4-5 teams and the bottom 4-5 teams, typically the point diff/game is less than 7 points.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is here though?

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Bears have had 2 garbage fluke seasons since 2000, with Jauron and last season, totally undeserved and totally exposed the next season.

maybe due to it being the weakest division in football for a long time now?

Weakest? The NFC North has frequently produced 2 playoff teams in a year over the past 20 years.