2019 Biils = 2018 Bears?

Lots of wins against bad teams.  Great defense.   Lots of hype around the young QB.  Etc Etc.   Big falloff the next season against better competition.   1) Is this what we have to look forward to or 2) are the Bills being built to last?    I believe in #2 (obviously).  Bills get AFC and NFC West next season/lots of west coast travel/prime games etc. 

What say you?  

15 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Lots of wins against bad teams.  Great defense.   Lots of hype around the young QB.  Etc Etc.   Big falloff the next season against better competition.   1) Is this what we have to look forward to or 2) are the Bills being built to last?    I believe in #2 (obviously).  Bills get AFC and NFC West next season/lots of west coast travel/prime games etc. 

What say you?  

Possibly.   But difference is we didnt blow all our first rounders on a terrible QB and a DE...so we can still add talent this year thru draft and 90 million in cap room.  

We will get better next year.  They regressed. 

• Like (+1) 2

I said all offseason the bears provided a good template last year. Good defense. Spend resources revamping the offense.... only difference in my eyes is I think Nagy used smoke and mirrors, and gadgets to get people open for Trubisky and hide some of his flaws. I don’t see the same approach with our qb, THANKFULLY

Edited by Stank_Nasty

There's literally zero hype around our QB..... there's actually the exact opposite within the media..

last year for the bears the narrative was that Trubisky turned the corner.... not the same here.

Edit: and yes, Allen is much better than MT

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 4

Why do some feel the incessant need to compare teams from different organizations and different years?  Each year and each team face different circumstances and are made up of different players and coaches.  I don't know what purpose it serves unless you're simply trying to "rank" all-time best or worst squads.

Young QB and good defense.  Those are the only two parallels that can be drawn between the '19 Bills and '18 Bears.  And by themselves they say absolutely nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

What say you?  

Sorry that you feel that way, the only thing there is to say is...
Every silver lining's got a touch of grey.

I know the rent is in arrears, the dog has not been fed in years

it's even worse than it appears but, it's all right

Cow is giving kerosene, kid can't read at seventeen
The words he knows are all obscene, but it's all right
I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive.

Seriously speaking, can you give 3 instances where you feel the Bills offense and/or defense are comparable to the 2018 Bears, other than the superficial "lots of hype around the young QB"?

I'll give 3 where I see differences:

1) Trubisky was being annointed last year.  #1 pick, 66% completions, team winning.  Probably hard to tune that out and say "damn, I need work, got to grind this off season"

Pretty much any hype Allen gets at this point, is negative hype.  Ditto for the Bills team "worst 6-2 team ever" etc etc.  If Allen doesn't get the message that he needs to keep taking steps 4x4, he must have bananas in his ears.

2) Bears as I remember were quite dependent upon a top-10 rush game (#6 for attempts) that was under-productive (#11 for yards).  Their rush game fell off a cliff this year and as it went, so went their season this year.  I don't follow them enough to say why that's the case, but if it's OL, that would explain Trubisky as well.  Young QBs need time to throw.  Even Lamar Jackson needs it.

3) Bears D depends upon the performance of some legit superstars, headlined by Khalil Mack.  I'm not aware of how they were in the trenches, but if they didn't build talent across the team, it's not sustainable.  And because of the move for Mack etc they do not have a lot of cap to add players.

I would say the fundamental difference would come down to roster strategy and cap space.  The Bills have a lot of cap space and picks to keep improving.  The Bears made a splashy FA move that put their D over the top, but left them short on cap space, which limits their roster improvement strategies.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there is some similarity and I think the Bills will likely win fewer games in 2020 than 2019 because I do think that schedule with the travelling and the opposition will prove tough. But I think the key difference is the Bears are pretty much in start over territory offensively. Their line is creaking, their QB has regressed and their receivers are not performing. I don't expect that to be the case with the Bills. If we go 10-6 this year and then 8-8 next year I don't think that is panic stations time. Obviously a lot needs to play out between now and then but I can even see a scenario where the 2020 Bills team goes 8-8 and yet is better in many ways than the 2019 team going 10-6. I think that happened to an extent with Rex. His 2015 team hugely underperformed and went 8-8 then his 2016 team played better on a tougher schedule and went 7-9 (I know Rex missed the last game).

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Nagy was Coached under Reid for years. I think Nagy got about as much as he could out of Trubisky. I don’t see the same with Daboll and Allen.

I also trust Beane to see what is needed and address it in the offseason through FA, draft, and talks with Sean about coaches.

And have set themselves up to do so.  The bears were giving away picks and signing big contracts (or at least one really big contract).  The Bills have been collecting picks and keeping cap space open to build for the future.

• Like (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

What say you?  

Next season's schedule looks pretty tough. I suppose there are parallels to the Bears. My question is what did the Bears do to get better from last year? We're they hamstrung but cap and lost draft picks?

The Bills are unfinished for sure, but they have the potential and resources to take a big step up next year. Maybe that's why you don't trade away your high picks or sign every name player that comes along.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll give 3 where I see differences:

1) Trubisky was being annointed last year.  #1 pick, 66% completions, team winning.  Probably hard to tune that out and say "damn, I need work, got to grind this off season"

Pretty much any hype Allen gets at this point, is negative hype.  Ditto for the Bills team "worst 6-2 team ever" etc etc.  If Allen doesn't get the message that he needs to keep taking steps 4x4, he must have bananas in his ears.

2) Bears as I remember were quite dependent upon a top-10 rush game (#6 for attempts) that was under-productive (#11 for yards).  Their rush game fell off a cliff this year and as it went, so went their season this year.  I don't follow them enough to say why that's the case, but if it's OL, that would explain Trubisky as well.  Young QBs need time to throw.  Even Lamar Jackson needs it.

3) Bears D depends upon the performance of some legit superstars, headlined by Khalil Mack.  I'm not aware of how they were in the trenches, but if they didn't build talent across the team, it's not sustainable.  And because of the move for Mack etc they do not have a lot of cap to add players.

Bears Oline has definitely been worse. Not sure how much of that is the loss of Kyle Long (I think their RT has been nicked up too) but I think a lot of it is just teams doing a better job of working out what the Bears were doing in the run game. They had a lot of misdirection success and that has fallen off which I think is just opponents catching up to Nagy's smoke and mirrors. The second element of that is teams saying "we are not convinced on this Trubisky guy, let's make him beat us". That was entirely Green Bay's plan week 1 and it worked very effectively. Think teams have been copying ever since.

The loss of Vic Fangio is also an underrated aspect. He is a very good DC. The biggest reason is Trubisky though. He has regressed as some of the easy throws have been taken away be opposing defenses. He has never been a great reader of a defense and that is hurting him.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I'll agree to an extent. Last year's bears had a ton of turnovers and short fields. We haven't been doing much of that so we're asking the offense to take care of the ball. Pittsburgh or SF would be the ones expected to regress in that category YoY.

This is a huge difference between the two teams and demonstrates we are not the 2018 Bears.

I don't want to rag on a D that is playing very well but their utter inability to generate turnovers, particularly on the opponents side of the field does our offense no favors.  Through 10 games the Bill's D has created only ONE TO in an opponents red zone.  In fact the defense has only forced a total of TWO TO's on the opponents side of the field.

Even in the Miami game where the D was putting all sorts of pressure on Fitz they didn't create a TO.  Yea the Dolphins did lose a fumble but it had nothing to do with Buffalo's D forcing the fumble.

IF we start forcing TO's on the opponents side of the field and given our offenses strength in the red zone we might see a real burst in points and then we might more closely resemble the 2018 Bears.