Lee Smith and Pat DiMarco update...

eball

On 11/19/2019 at 4:48 AM, eball said:

From the Buffalo News this a.m.; should make a lot of folks happy.  Perhaps this is a sign that the Bills are finally figuring out "who they are" on offense and creating an identity -- or it's just the personnel grouping that they felt worked best against Miami.  In either case, 37 pts and 400+ of offense is nothing to sneeze at.

1. The Bills didn’t use their “heavy” offensive package much. Blocking tight end Lee Smith played a season-low seven snaps (10%), while fullback Patrick DiMarco was on the field for just four snaps (6%).

Explains the drop in holding calls, Smith wasn’t on the field. 

Edited by Yav
typo: Explain should have been Explains

17 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Daboll changes his offensive gameplan massively game to game. I will be happy when I see something consistently working. 

It would not shock me to see DiMarco out wide this week again and Lee Smith getting his 3 penalties. 

Well, since he coached under Belechick, the game-to-game game plan makes sense.  What I don’t understand is not exploiting the other teams’ weaknesses, like barely running the ball against the Browns bad run defense.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Well, since he coached under Belechick, the game-to-game game plan makes sense.  What I don’t understand is not exploiting the other teams’ weaknesses, like barely running the ball against the Browns bad run defense.

Not trying to come off as a Daboll apologist, but he explained after the game that the Browns were selling out to stop the run. Plays were there to be made against Cleveland, the Bills just didn’t make enough of them. 

18 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeldon is better then people think and at this stage he’s better then Gore. It’s just going to be one of those things we never actually get to find out though because Dabol is obsessed with wasting touches on a guy that’s 5+ years past his prime. It’s not even about Yeldon as much as it is about not continuously giving the ball to Gore. This has a chance to be a really special season and Gore served his purpose. He got us through some tough times and helped up bring along Singletary. But now it’s time to get serious and for the last month it’s clear Gores legs are shot. It’s time to try and take advantage of this season and get some fresh legs to go with Singletary. Bring back Murphy I don’t care. It just has to stop being Gore. You don’t have to cut the guy. Keep him around and give him 2 or 3 touches a game. But he gets the ball way, way to much. He’s done.

I felt like we saw an increase of Gore touches after Singletary fumbled it twice.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

I felt like we saw an increase of Gore touches after Singletary fumbled it twice.

Yeah they definitely punished Singletary. Ball security is certainly a priority it just sucks that we became completely ineffective while he was out. Gore was acceptable for the first month of the season but his age has been showing for weeks. We got to stop having him as the 2nd option. It’s way to easy for him to get touches when he’s only behind 1 guy.

It wouldn't hurt me any if that continues, Smith maybe a good vet but the rookies need to be out there & Dimarco should be or can be used better in the run game especially if they put 8 in the box instead of giving up on the run pound it !! 

The Vikings game against the Cowboys is one i hope Dabol & company look at before the Thanksgiving game because that is the way Dimarco should be used as a typical old style FB & run it down their throats !

Not to mention i believe when the play offs come around that could be a key component to making a good run !! No pun intended ? !

I just saw an interesting stat after looking at Lee Smith’s stats at pro-football-reference.com. He appears to have 9 penalties on the season and a snap count of 36% where a rookie in Dawson Knox has almost double the snaps at 61% and a third of the penalties at 3 on the season. We all love the presence of a vet for the young guys, but when a rookie is showing a lot more discipline (and production), I don’t expect to see you play much for the rest of the season. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:12 AM, Steptide said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Smith played a good amount this week to help block 

This. I expect to see much more of him to help Ford on the right side with Nsekhe out. He's a good blocker, but god dang. The penalties are horrific.

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

This. I expect to see much more of him to help Ford on the right side with Nsekhe out. He's a good blocker, but god dang. The penalties are horrific.

This is not the formula to beat the Broncos DL.  You need a rhythmic-intermediate pass game to attack their DBs.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Like the Patriots, but this time in a good way. 

Singletary does not fumble on 10% of his carries. Be fair and post the fumble % if you want to be taken seriously. 

Neither does Yeldon.  Unfortunately he has only been given 10 carries in Buffalo.

But, as you say, to be fair: 

Yeldon career fumble %=1.2

Singletary career fumble %=1.5

17 hours ago, MJS said:

yep. what McD does. sit him in the corner to think about it. thats okay by me

He fumbled out of bounds week before. it was then i became concerned he had Yeldonitis. and then he fumbled again last week.

oh dear
and i like M. Murphy but Yeldon seems to be better at Teams..

16 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Dimarco is better down the sideline catching passes than Stonecold Smith.

Smith has caught a few this year

to the surprise of many.

should use him more

for the surprising

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah they definitely punished Singletary. Ball security is certainly a priority it just sucks that we became completely ineffective while he was out. Gore was acceptable for the first month of the season but his age has been showing for weeks. We got to stop having him as the 2nd option. It’s way to easy for him to get touches when he’s only behind 1 guy.

you do not like Gore do you?

he was the #1 while Singletary was injured and has some very nice games.
Gotta have a hole to hit.

Last week when Miami saw Gore they played to stuff the run.

8 hours ago, CLTbills said:

he has  #55 Hughes quality about him. just on Offense.

They just wait to pounce when he brings his nasty to bear. which he does.

But Team cannot overcome so many penalties. period

hope Sweeney can step up sooner than later

18 hours ago, eball said:

Not trying to come off as a Daboll apologist, but he explained after the game that the Browns were selling out to stop the run. Plays were there to be made against Cleveland, the Bills just didn’t make enough of them

I have never believed that you let the defense dictate your plays that way. Heck the Bills were loading the box for weeks and were still getting run on.

The Browns are no great shakes at stopping the run....26th in rushing yards allowed. Make them prove they can stop you, it is like running away from a fight just because the other guy starts jogging in place making Bruce Lee noises.

The point is more that the Bills should maintain some semblance of run balance while a game is still within reach to have an extra guy to pick up the blitz or chip a DE, slow the pass rush with play action, and to take some of the load off your young QB.

Instead our offensive game plan placed an emphasis on our weakest area (forcing our inexperienced QB into quickly diagnosing complex coverages and pressure packages) playing into their strength, while not attacking their known weaknesses.

It was a mistake, and hell will freeze over before your hear that from OBD, but I expect Daboll in the booth and the balance in the Dolphins game was the result of self-scouting that came to some similar conclusions.

That does not mean that you go heavy and run-pass-pass-punt in a predictable pattern, I think Gunner had referenced some stats that showed passing on 1st down is actually more effective. But having a base package of personnel that can line up in different formations, that force a defense to defend sideline to sideline, yet allows you to run or pass out of it is not a terrible thing.

I think it was more confusing for our offense platooning so many different personnel packages, than it was to opposing defenses. And sometimes I think our different personnel packages tipped our hand as to what we were running. The net result was guys running the wrong routes and a schizophrenic offensive identity.

I hope we stay committed to keeping our best players on the field for more snaps and maintaining some run/pass balance. I think it will pay off.

14 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I can't billieve Lee Smith still sees the field after all his drive ending penalties.

I sometimes think he might be a covert agent for the Patsies ;)

I absolutely marvel out how both Smith and Dimarco are on an NFL roster. Let alone the Bills. If both guys were released tomorrow I doubt any team would pick them up. Even if it was a position of need. At some point doesn't performance outweigh process?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2