Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The passing stats remain bad while his running game is, by far, the best part of his game.

It's time for McDermott and Daboll to abandon their "We must make him a pocket passer" campaign and start whipping up a clever offense that utilizes his running talent, just as Baltimore has done with Lamar.

Running is the only thing Allen does that is dangerous to opposing defenses.

No.

He's getting better as a passer.

Keep allowing him to pass so he can keep getting better.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why is it dumb?  They faced 2 good teams (And Philly is 5-5) so far. They are going to face 3 good teams now.  Won’t that say much more about Allen than putting up stats against the crappy Fins?

To say that 10 regular season games have 0% meaning and 6 regular season games have 100% meaning is sheer stupidity.

That shouldn't need an explanation.

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To say that 10 regular season games have 0% meaning and 6 regular season games have 100% meaning is sheer stupidity.

I agree those other games shouldn’t be completely thrown out.  But We will learn a ton more about Allen versus the Pats and Cowboys than against a Miami team that was trying to tank.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree those other games shouldn’t be completely thrown out.  But We will learn a ton more about Allen versus the Pats and Cowboys than against a Miami team that was trying to tank.  

Well that poster said we should throw out all of Allen's other games and only consider his next 5 games.

Thus, it was a dumb post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

These next several game are against playoff caliber teams...it will be a good measuring stick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

These next several game are against playoff caliber teams...it will be a good measuring stick.

Okay, that's fine, but what if the Bills make it into the playoffs at 10-6 and Allen plays like he did against Miami 2 or 3 more times against teams like the Broncos, Steelers and Jets but doesn't play nearly that well against the Patriots, Cowboys, and Ravens?

Or what if he has 1 game like he did against Miami vs. the Patriots, Cowboys or Ravens and we win that game, but then also has another game like the game he played against the Patriots and we lose?

At some point I think people can just acknowledge that Allen is an improving QB and that while we scrutinize his play on a week by week basis, he's going to have bad games even if he elevates himself into a top 10 QB.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

23rd is better than 32nd. True enough, but it's nowhere near good enough. So the real question is how good can he be and how long will it take to get there? Chris Simms said his inaccuracy can be fixed, but we haven't seen that yet. In the meantime, we would do well to keep handing the ball off to Singletary. That worked quite well last Sunday.

I still have serious doubts about Josh, but I do like him and want him to succeed. Beane is the one I'm most worried about.

Beane inherited a mess both in talent and salary cap. No way am I saying he is the second coming however he has done a pretty good job. There is much work to do in order to put the finishing touches on this roster but were close, have continuity, and a clear direction that we have not seen in many years.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering he started 11 games last year but didn't finish the Texans game, maybe this is a good checkpoint:

QB Passing attempts

2018: 30th

2019 : 15th

QB passing yards per game minimum 150 attempts 

2018: 35th

2019: 26th

QB Passing TDs

2018: 32nd

2019: 19th

QB TD %

2018: 31st

2019: 23rd

QB INT %

2019: 20th

QB Completion %

2018: 33rd

2019: 30th

QB YPA

2019: 24th

QB ANY/A

2019: 24th

Sack %

2018: 26th

2019: 19th

QB Passer Rating 

2019: 23rd

Those are just his passing stats of course.

No, he did not pop into the top half or top 10 of the league. As I know many are aware, I thought he would. 

I was wrong and can accept that. Already have a couple bets I'll pay up on.

But we've clearly seen some legitimate improvements in Allen as a passer this offseason. I don't know how anyone could argue against that.

And there's also, of course, his running stats compared with other QBs 

QB rushing yards 

2018: 2nd

2019: 3rd

QB rushing TDs

2018: 1st

2019: 1st

Many if not all of these stats are meaningless without considering the rest of the offense.  I'm not suggesting Josh is better than the others because in fact he might be worse.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, that's fine, but what if the Bills make it into the playoffs at 10-6 and Allen plays like he did against Miami 2 or 3 more times against teams like the Broncos, Steelers and Jets but doesn't play nearly that well against the Patriots, Cowboys, and Ravens?

Or what if he has 1 game like he did against Miami vs. the Patriots, Cowboys or Ravens and we win that game, but then also has another game like the game he played against the Patriots and we lose?

At some point I think people can just acknowledge that Allen is an improving QB and that while we scrutinize his play on a week by week basis, he's going to have bad games even if he elevates himself into a top 10 QB.

Every single QB in the NFL has their bad games.

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Many if not all of these stats are meaningless without considering the rest of the offense.  I'm not suggesting Josh is better than the others because in fact he might be worse.

Growth at the QB position is a good thing - hopefully the final 6 games of the season we see improved offense also.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You seem frighteningly gleeful about this.

And that's the problem with these folks.  They really do seem to be rooting against Allen's success. 

Here's my take on what the next SIX games will tell us about Allen:

*  If Allen plays well and the Bills go 3 - 3 it will be a good sign that he's continuing to get better and is on his way towards developing into a solid NFL QB.  It won't be proof that he's made it but it will leave us encouraged that he will get there.

*  If Allen plays poorly and the Bills go 1 - 5 it will be cause for some concern.  But until we actually see the CONTEXT in which each of the games play out how much "concern" remains to be seen.  These last 6 games won't break him any more then they'll make him as our franchise QB.

At MINIMUM Allen needs 3 full seasons before he is fully evaluated.  IMO he should get 4 seasons given where he started from as a "project QB"  with a complete lack of offensive talent in his first season and then a complete overhaul of offensive personnel in his 2nd season.

29 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Im not speaking to you specifically on this, rather your point that others have made regarding JA’s ranking in 2019, being due to a bad supporting cast.

This years WR and OL are exponentially better than last years. If supporting cast is what’s holding him back, at what point is supporting cast also responsible for his improvements? Honest question. 

23 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And that's the problem with these folks.  They really do seem to be rooting against Allen's success. 

*  If Allen plays well and the Bills go 3 - 3 it will be a good sign that he's continuing to get better and is on his way towards developing into a solid NFL QB.  It won't be proof that he's made it but it will leave us encouraged that he will get there.

*  If Allen plays poorly and the Bills go 1 - 5 it will be cause for some concern.  But until we actually see the CONTEXT in which each of the games play out how much "concern" remains to be seen.  These last 6 games won't break him any more then they'll make him as our franchise QB.

At MINIMUM Allen needs 3 full seasons before he is fully evaluated.  IMO he should get 4 seasons given where he started from as a "project QB"  with a complete lack of offensive talent in his first season and then a complete overhaul of offensive personnel in his 2nd season.

I think we will have a very good idea next year by week 8. If the improvements are marginal, than I think it’s cause for concern and we should have a better vet backup to take the reigns if need be. To me he will have to play Miami good vs. teams like SEA, IND next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Growth at the QB position is a good thing - hopefully the final 6 games of the season we see improved offense also.

I prefer the eyeball test and based on that, I agree with you.  But my point is a better line, better RB and better WRs would make a QB's stats improve even if the QB remained static.

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Im not speaking to you specifically on this, rather your point that others have made regarding JA’s ranking in 2019, being due to a bad supporting cast.

This years WR and OL are exponentially better than last years. If supporting cast is what’s holding him back, at what point is supporting cast also responsible for his improvements? Honest question. 

Oh I totally agree with you.  My point, which I just stated in another response, is that a QBs stats would improve simply by improving the talent around him.

Regarding your point about the supporting cast around Josh being exponentially better than it was last year, I'm not sure I agree.  Perhaps because last year's cast was pretty weak.  I love Brown but I'm not sure he's a #1 receiver, relative to other #1s in the league.  He's certainly a very good #2.  I think this O has a ton of potential.  Overall, they are still below the NFL average in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What if Allen plays incredible and we go 0-6? Do we cut him?