Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

7 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Given this supporting cast, I’m impressed. There’s times where he puts this offense on his back and makes things happen in a way that has been missing since Kelly. Get him a receiver that commands a double team and things will really open up for him.

And play Singletary like Thurman Thomas.  It will do wonders to the QB

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I would love to see Allen throw the ball 35-40 times per game. He is absolutely expected to be able to read defenses and he does a pretty decent job for being in his second year. That doesn't mean he is great at it yet, or that he shouldn't have help in the the design and call of plays.

I understand what you're advocating for here. And I'm not disputing it. I'm just trying to provide some context. Currently. When considering passes, sacks, and rushes, Allen is averaging just over 41 attempts per game. And that's actually on the high side. So to meet your requested criteria he'd have to throw 35 times, run 6 times, and not get sacked - which does sound like a good game.

I love Allen, and do believe he has improved, but some of the OP's stats are skewed. Allen did only play in 11 games in 2018 - so you can't use 2018 seasonal rankings comparing him to other QB's that played more games. For example, a large reason he finished 30th in total passing attempts and 32nd in total passing TD's last year is because many other QB's played more games than him. So the improvements from 30th to 15th and 32nd to 19th is likely more because he is now being compared to other QB's that played the same amount of games in 2019. If you want look at game averages, such as passing attempts per game, that would be a much better comparison.....

• Like (+1) 1

And for all we know yesterday was his coming out party and he'll be in the top 15 by the end of the year. I think he's definitely trending up. He's improving in all the important question mark areas, and he's got his insane athletic ability and his leadership and work ethic to fall back on. I like where we're going. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

2018 ypa 32? I thought Allen was like in the top 3 in yards per attempt last year? Are you sure that’s not with the other Bills QBs mixed in?

You're thinking air yards.

Allen threw the ball, on average, farther than any other QB on average last year.  I think it was like 11 yards per throw or something, which was a full yard more than the next highest QB.

But he wasn't completing a bunch of those, which was why his YPA--which is a simple formula of total yards divided by total pass attempts--was lower.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Throwing wise I expected him to be further up the list but I forgot how bad he was his first 5 starts, so his improvement is still good. He is doing what needs to be done without a roster of loaded all Stars on offense, so I am pleased and still have hope.

Yes.  After his first 4 games, his stats have dramatically improved.

It'd be a curious exercise to see where Allen ranks as a passer across the NFL if you just took every QB's last 6 games.

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That Miami Bump is magically for Allen.  Dude has 13 of his career 38 tds against them.  I want to see it against Dallas and NE.  

but his mid range passing definitely has improved. Just need to see it way more consistently. 

Allen does love feasting on Dolphin.  

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That Miami Bump is magically for Allen.  Dude has 13 of his career 38 tds against them.  I want to see it against Dallas and NE.  

but his mid range passing definitely has improved. Just need to see it way more consistently

Consistency is the key. I’m pretty happy that he’s proved that he can read defenses, improve his accuracy, and make all the throws. He’s even proved that he can drive down the field and score against good defenses. What Allen needs to show is that he can do that on a consistent basis in most games (everyone has a stinker). It needs to start coming together for four quarters. Until that happens there will be question marks. 

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You realize, of course, that Josh is on Pace to have similar passing TD numbers to Russell Wilson's first two seasons and that he's doing that with a LOT less surrounding talent?

Russell didn't have a ton of talent on those offenses.  Golden Tate and Marshawn.  Doug Baldwin had yet to hit his stride.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Russell didn't have a ton of talent on those offenses.  Golden Tate and Marshawn.  Doug Baldwin had yet to hit his stride.

Baldwin wasn’t even drafted. Wilson made him. 

9 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Allen does love feasting on Dolphin.  

People should eat more dolphin.  They are a bunch of creepy rapists. 

Thanks for pulling this stuff together.   

I was like you; I thought he'd do better than that.  I was looking for him to get to the top 15 to 20 in the league, and he isn't there.   Passer rating tells the same story - it should, because it's based on a lot of the same stats you posted.   His oline and his receivers may have held him back a bit, but it's really on him.    

Statistically, I'd say he's improved just enough not to be too worried.   If he showed no statistical growth (which is where Mayfield and Darnold are), I'd be concerned.    Allen has shown clear progress, with no reason to believe his progress will stop now.   How he finishes this season, and next season, will tell us whether the Bills still have a problem at QB.  I'd love to see four of the last six games with a passer rating in the high 90s or above.  That would raise some eyebrows. 

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have never advocated that Allen throw the ball 20 times per game and the run game have 40 rushes per game. Ever.

I would love to see Allen throw the ball 35-40 times per game. He is absolutely expected to be able to read defenses and he does a pretty decent job for being in his second year. That doesn't mean he is great at it yet, or that he shouldn't have help in the the design and call of plays.

He struggled against the Pats because Daboll insisted on attacking the strength of the NE defense (their secondary) with Allen's and the the team's weaknesses (the long ball, and standing in the pocket/pass protection for longer developing plays). There were some plays to be made in that game (as there are in every game); however, there was far more potential for problems. Add in the fact that Belichick is pretty good at putting together defense that confuse young QBs. For every "play there was to be made" in that game, I will show you three where Allen was running for his life behind a line being asked to block long enough for receivers, who struggled with getting separation, to get open against one of the better secondaries in the NFL.

The gameplan wasn't even close to being the same in the Miami game on Sunday. For the most part, they were quicker hitting pass plays that were in Allen's wheelhouse this year: from the LOS to 20 yards downfield. Even the 40 yard TD pass to Brown was a 22 yd completion. When they went to that same strategy in the second half (for awhile at least) of the New England game, Allen was much better.

Allen does better throwing on early downs with a quicker tempo and plays that devlop more quickly in that LOS - 20yd range. Allen does not do well with the deep ball, longer developing plays, or "run, run pass on 3rd and long." When they stick to what he does best, they generally do well. When they move away from it, they generally don't. 

How do you beat Cover Zero without challenging the secondary? 

The passing stats remain bad while his running game is, by far, the best part of his game.

It's time for McDermott and Daboll to abandon their "We must make him a pocket passer" campaign and start whipping up a clever offense that utilizes his running talent, just as Baltimore has done with Lamar.

Running is the only thing Allen does that is dangerous to opposing defenses.

Hopefully the Bills see the 2020 draft as THE way to get Allen his stud WR that is “go getter” that EVERY QB needs.

The 2020 class of WR’s is the best in a very long time.

Alabama has 3 WR’s alone that have “stud” status, for example.

7 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Josh Allen should not ever be evaluated on just his passing stats alone....his running game is a big part of his game especially in the red zone.

How can you leave out his rushing TDs in the QB TD %?

TDs are TDs whether he passes them or runs them in.

I agree with you.

But I left it out because the complaints are regarding Allen as a passer.

As a runner, Allen leads the NFL in TDs and is 3rd in rushing yardage. 

He has 20 TDs and 10 turnovers.  That's a vast improvement over last year when he had 18 TDs and 20 turnovers through one more game.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The passing stats remain bad while his running game is, by far, the best part of his game.

It's time for McDermott and Daboll to abandon their "We must make him a pocket passer" campaign and start whipping up a clever offense that utilizes his running talent, just as Baltimore has done with Lamar.

Running is the only thing Allen does that is dangerous to opposing defenses.

Yeah because throwing a 30 yard strike is pretty meaningless really.   

• Like (+1) 1