Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

This comparison, I realize, is as Rodgers and Cousins are finishing up their battle with now just2 minutes remaining... in most cases statistically those 2 are set in stone ahead or behind Allen... and honestl, with Allen probably resting week 17, this moment should've a good snapshot for fans of his improvements or lack thereof:

QB Passing attempts

2018: 30th

2019 : 18th 

QB passing yards per game minimum 150 attempts 

2018: 35th

2019: 29th

QB Passing TDs

2018: 32nd

2019: 18th (TIE with Carr & Tannehill)

QB TD %

2018: 31st

2019: 18th (TIE with Ryan & Darnold)

QB INT %

2019: 16th (TIE with Murray & Prescott)

QB Completion %

2018: 33rd

2019: 32nd (6% higher than last yea, though)

QB YPA

2019: 25th (TIED with Kyle Allen & Murray)

QB ANY/A

2019: 22nd

Sack %

2018: 26th

2019: 20th

QB Passer Rating 

2019: 22nd

Those are just his passing stats of course.

No, he did not pop into the top half or top 10 of the league. As I know many are aware, I thought he would. 

I was wrong and can accept that. Already have a couple bets I'll pay up on.

But we've clearly seen some legitimate improvements in Allen as a passer this offseason. I don't know how anyone could argue against that. 

Aside from rankings, the raw improvements individually for him are striking--he may have only gone from 33 to 27th in completion percentage, but going from 52.8% to 61.5% is a huge jump.

And there's also, of course, his running stats compared with other QBs 

QB rushing yards 

2018: 2nd

2019: 3rd

QB rushing TDs

2018: 1st

2019: 1st

QB Total TDs

2018: 25th

2019: 5th ( TIE with Prescott)

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

23rd is better than 32nd. True enough, but it's nowhere near good enough. So the real question is how good can he be and how long will it take to get there? Chris Simms said his inaccuracy can be fixed, but we haven't seen that yet. In the meantime, we would do well to keep handing the ball off to Singletary. That worked quite well last Sunday.

I still have serious doubts about Josh, but I do like him and want him to succeed. Beane is the one I'm most worried about.

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

23rd is better than 32nd. True enough, but it's nowhere near good enough. So the real question is how good can he be and how long will it take to get there? Chris Simms said his inaccuracy can be fixed, but we haven't seen that yet. In the meantime, we would do well to keep handing the ball off to Singletary. That worked quite well last Sunday.

I still have serious doubts about Josh, but I do like him and want him to succeed. Beane is the one I'm most worried about.

You realize, of course, that Josh is on Pace to have similar passing TD numbers to Russell Wilson's first two seasons and that he's doing that with a LOT less surrounding talent?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Who invited Debbie Downer to the party?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Yes we have seen it.  His accuracy is fine.  Instead of trying to continually justify your pre draft opinion watch the games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Is anyone actually arguing his accuracy hasn’t improved? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thanks for the stats. Everyone can see he is getting better. His pendulum has swung a little too far to the conservative side after the Patriots game.  Last week he seemed to have the right balance of smart decisions and taking chances.  

Now just beat Denver.  

Agree with this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You realize, of course, that Josh is on Pace to have similar passing TD numbers to Russell Wilson's first two seasons and that he's doing that with a LOT less surrounding talent?

Except he isn't. Russ threw 26 touchdowns each of this first two seasons - that is 52. Josh has thrown 23 touchdowns to this point in his career. To get to the same number as Russ after two seasons he would need to average almost 5 passing touchdowns a game over the final 6 weeks.

He did, of course, only start 11 games his rookie year. If you pro-rata Russ's 52 touchdowns over 32 games it is 1.625 per game. If you multiply that by Josh's 27 starts it comes out just under 44, whereas Josh is on pace currently for 35 touchdowns by the end of year 2 so he is still a fair way off.

I presume you are throwing in his rushing touchdowns too.... where he has a 10 touchdown lead on Wilson's first two seasons with 6 still to play. His rushing TDs are nice. And they buy him more time as he continues to develop as a Quarterback who can read the field when things happen quicker in the redzone. But at this stage he is decidedly not the passer Russell Wilson or say a Deshaun Watson (another mobile QB) were in their first two years. That is probably to be expected - they played at major colleges and started in big college football games. Josh played at Wyoming in comparison.

I'm not correcting you to criticise Josh but the statement on his passing numbers being equal to Wilson's is misleading.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think my favorite stat improvement is the YPA. That means he is finding open receivers more consistently, and putting the ball in a spot where they can make a play. That shows huge improvement - completion percentage could improve with dink and dunk, but ypa goes down usually. I like what i see here - thanks for posting this!

• Like (+1) 2

Who’s this ‘We’ you’re talking about?? I don’t see a pet turtle in your avatar. EVERYONE with even 1 working Eye has seen his accuracy has improved. There’s no indication he’s finished improving either.

Make an optometrist appointment today! ?

• Like (+1) 9

Can I add the number that most pleases me is passing attempts. We are asking and expecting our Quarterback to make plays with his arm. That alone is reason to have some optimism. The Quarterback's primary job is to stand in the pocket and make throws. When Josh is decisive and throws it he is a good Quarterback. When he holds it he is less good. I like the fact the Bills for the most part this season have not tried to hide him.

• Like (+1) 8

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except he isn't. Russ threw 26 touchdowns each of this first two seasons - that is 52. Josh has thrown 23 touchdowns to this point in his career. To get to the same number as Russ after two seasons he would need to average almost 5 passing touchdowns a game over the final 6 weeks.

He did, of course, only start 11 games his rookie year. If you pro-rata Russ's 52 touchdowns over 32 games it is 1.625 per game. If you multiply that by Josh's 27 starts it comes out just under 44, whereas Josh is on pace currently for 35 touchdowns by the end of year 2 so he is still a fair way off.

I presume you are throwing in his rushing touchdowns too.... where he has a 10 touchdown lead on Wilson's first two seasons with 6 still to play. His rushing TDs are nice. And they buy him more time as he continues to develop as a Quarterback who can read the field when things happen quicker in the redzone. But at this stage he is decidedly not the passer Russell Wilson or say a Deshaun Watson (another mobile QB) were in their first two years. That is probably to be expected - they played at major colleges and started in big college football games. Josh played at Wyoming in comparison.

I'm not correcting you to criticise Josh but the statement on his passing numbers being equal to Wilson's is misleading.  

You know, if I could read charts and tables, I'd actually be dangerous

?‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2