Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

As many have pointed out, this is very much not true. To put it in perspective ...

Allen is tied for 16th in the league in throwing TDs. Which is far from bad.

Wilson tied for 9th as a rookie and 9th again as a soph. Those are absolutely not similar numbers, in terms of rankings or gross numbers.

And those TD numbers came on 383 attempts as a rookie and 407 attempts the next for Wilson, while Allen has already thrown 366 passes. Allen has thrown a TD on 3.1% of his passes last year and 4.4% this year, while Wilson racked up TDs on 6.6% of his throws as a rook and 6.4% the next year. 

Josh is improving, and the outlook is pretty solid right now. But he certainly hasn't produced similar passing TDs numbers with Wilson's first two seasons.

But he steals some of his own passing TDS by running it in ... Josh has 16 rushing TDs for his career .. Russell Wilson has 22 for his career. We are also comparing Josh to a future HOF QB who was more pro-ready coming out of college ... it is all about improving ... which he has done in spades

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

But he steals some of his own passing TDS by running it in ... Josh has 16 rushing TDs for his career .. Russell Wilson has 22 for his career. We are also comparing Josh to a future HOF QB who was more pro-ready coming out of college ... it is all about improving ... which he has done in spades

Tell me why any Bills fan should care whether TDs result from a throw or a run, either from him or by any other Bills player.  Points on the board are what matter (and limiting scoring chances by the opponents) and those are trending up.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/24/2019 at 12:34 AM, downunderbill said:

I agree, I don't recall anyone saying he is the best QB, I don't know why the stern detractors write like it is the consensus among the Allen fans.

Makes me wonder, if Allen clicks and is the starter for the next 10-15 years, could those guys we've all come to know on here enjoy the game or not.

Sure they will enjoy it, they will also pretend they were behind him from the beginning. And they will be the first to jump ship at any sub par performance, as they do now. It’s an all or none deal for these guys, no shades of grey allowed in their world view. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Tell me why any Bills fan should care whether TDs result from a throw or a run, either from him or by any other Bills player.  Points on the board are what matter (and limiting scoring chances by the opponents) and those are trending up.

Yeah, I’ve always hated the QB passing TD stat being so heavily weighted in QB metrics. So the stat is telling me that if a team runs the ball into the end zone with a RB from the 5 then the QB isn’t as good as if he threw a 5 yard TD pass?

The important thing is a QB who routinely moves the offense and scores points. Who scores them or how they score just isn’t that important.

10 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

There's a new trend I've noticed recently.

Nationally there's more attention and credit given to "total TDs" by QBs than there used to be.

It used to be almost exclusively passing TDs that mattered, but now QB rushing TDs are being given nearly as much credit as those passing TDs.  See Larmar Jackson and Deshaun Watson for reference.

And the truth is, Josh should keep running for those TDs throughout his ENTIRE career.  But I want to see these designed runs completely cut out.  Just tell him to run in for TDs on those passing plays that break down or are completely covered, like the rushing TD he got in Dallas.  And he absolutely deserves credit for plays like that.

The pass isn't always going to be there and he's clearly a weapon on the ground.  He should be encouraged to keep doing it, but wisely.

This is why I love PFF .. after last week for the year they have Josh Allen at the #26 best QB. They really show the truth to the phrase "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics".  Behind Fitzpatrick - check; behind Mayfield - certainly; behind Winston - who wouldn't take Winston over Josh; Haskins - well why not [I live in metro DC and I am quite certain the redskins would be willing to trade their whole draft for Josh - but PFF statistics say ...]  .... bahahahaha

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This is why I love PFF .. after last week for the year they have Josh Allen at the #26 best QB. They really show the truth to the phrase "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics".  Behind Fitzpatrick - check; behind Mayfield - certainly; behind Winston - who wouldn't take Winston over Josh; Haskins - well why not [I live in metro DC and I am quite certain the redskins would be willing to trade their whole draft for Josh - but PFF statistics say ...]  .... bahahahaha

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

What an embarrassing testament to PFF.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

What an embarrassing testament to PFF.

Yeah, I mean when you skew things to make somebody look as bad as possible, it looks idiotic when that player clearly emerges as one of the best in the biz on a national stage. Assuming Josh continues to perform well these last couple games, PFF won’t be able to lift Josh’s average they’ve given him by enough to not look ridiculous. He has been the best 4th Quarter QB, possibly the best intermediate passing QB, one of the best on 3rd and Longs, and the 2nd best rushing QB basically all year long. PFF has no excuse.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Bad" is seriously overstating it, even back when you posted this on 11/20. For a second-year guy, his stats have been OK. Probably better than that, in that they're trending upwards. He's 21st in passer rating among guys with 100 or more throws, and that just is not bad at all for a second-year man. And it's higher than that for nearly any stretch of games after the (admittedly awful) NE game.

If there were indications that he'd reached his ceiling, it would be bad news. But results show just the opposite, that he trended up year on year and he's continued to do so through the course of this year.

And ask Dallas, Denver or Miami if running is the only dangerous thing he does. They'll disagree.

Teams started the year packing the box and daring Allen to beat them. Lately, he's done a good enough job of being productive in those situations that he's making game-planning much tougher on opposing DCs.

That dude you are responding to basically outed himself as a Cheatriots fan when he got terribly upset when folks sad not nice things about Tom Brady after Sunday night.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

One of you said he was going to be fighting for league MVP this year, didn't he? Granted it seemed absolutely unhinged from minute one, but some of you that really get behind him really have said some quite nutty things.

For those that haven't, fair enough.

Gee... who on earth could you be talking about here???  :lol:

It's nice to have passive aggressive Thurm back.

Allen's clearly not an MVP candidate right now, but nutty?

Allen's 5th in TDs in the NFL and 2nd in 4th Quarter Comebacks and Game Winning Drives on a team that's tied for the 2nd best record in the NFL.

We've got a brutal final 4 games, which actually sets Allen up pretty well to very much go out and put himself in the MVP conversation for this year.  If the Bills were to win out and Allen continued even at the pace he's going statistically, he'd be there.

The starting QB with 32+ TDs for a 13-3 football team?  Uh... yah... he'd be in the conversation.  And he will be if that's what happens.

That said, I don't see that happening.  I think we go 2-2 in our final 4 games and Allen has a stinker of a game somewhere in there.  

Allen's not an MVP candidate this year and I was wrong there, but to call that prediction "nutty" at this point is pretty pathetic considering where he and the team sit.

Were there other nutty things?

I also predicted that Allen would have a completion % greater than 60% this year after having examined every pass last year.  Was that nutty?

@Wayne Arnold said a couple months ago that this team has what it takes to be a championship contender this year.  Was that nutty?

You need to stop pretending you're the necessary voice of reason here.  Sometimes it distorts your vision.

In games in the 4th Quarter within 7 this year Allen has a passer rating of 123.7, completing 62.8% of his passes at 9.2 YPA with 4 TDs and 0 INTs.  That's  5th in the NFL behind Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater and Russell Wilson.  And Allen has the most attempts (43) out of all those other QBs in those situations.  Wilson has 39 attempts, Tannehill has 31, Ryan has 20 and Bridgewater has 17.

That's such a vast improvement over last year, when he had about the same number of attempts (41), but had a Passer Rating of 71.3 with a 51.3% completion percentage, 7.3 YPA and 2 TDs to 2 INTs