Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree we should play to his strengths, and those are not - at this point in his career - making a clutch throw on 3rd down with a full field read when everyone in the stadium knows you are going to throw. Run, run, pass is not what Josh is built to execute. Especially this week. The book on beating the Broncos D is throw on 1st down.

This is, to me, a big week for Daboll.  Once again, he's shown that he is perfectly capable of devising a gameplan based on the strengths of our offense and the weaknesses of our opponent.

My hope is that he does something that he's never done before ..... call that kind of gameplan in consecutive weeks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Last year, he was pretty much at the bottom of the league (in terms of JUST passing stats).  We are talking around #30-32 in most overall rankings. 

He was arguably better than fellow rookies Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson.  That was about it.  There were flashes of his abilities, but the consistency just wasn't there.

At just over the midway point of 2019, I would say he's jumped about 10 spots.  Now he's hovering between #20-25 in the passing rankings. 

That is pretty decent progress for a single offseason.  Especially considering the total overhaul we've see on that side of the ball - both WRs, TEs and O-Line, and the time needed to get everyone on the same page.

As a QB with significant running ability, I also think his overall ranking would be higher than just what his passing stats reveal alone.  A touchdown is a touchdown, regardless of whether it came on the ground or through the air.  If he's #20-25 in just passing, I think it's fair to say he's in the #15-20 range with everything included.

In my opinion, the goal is for Josh Allen to be in the Top #10-12 overall (passing and running) by the middle of Year 4. 

He's definitely not there yet.  But if he continues to trend upwards, there is definitely some hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

IF Only the detractors could now admit Josh Allens growth.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is, to me, a big week for Daboll.  Once again, he's shown that he is perfectly capable of devising a gameplan based on the strengths of our offense and the weaknesses of our opponent.

My hope is that he does something that he's never done before ..... call that kind of gameplan in consecutive weeks.

AMEN.  

Keep him in the booth away from Josh on the sidelines and let Josh be Josh 

The fact that the Bills are running a pass first offense bodes well for Josh.  The coaching staff knows far better than we do how war along he is and what he can or cant do. I'd be much more concerned if we were limiting him .  He is far from finished in terms of growth as a qb.  Now about that long ball.....  Maybe he can hit one of those soon and goes on a heater

Josh Allen should not ever be evaluated on just his passing stats alone....his running game is a big part of his game especially in the red zone.

How can you leave out his rushing TDs in the QB TD %?

TDs are TDs whether he passes them or runs them in.

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

Josh Allen should not ever be evaluated on just his passing stats alone....his running game is a big part of his game especially in the red zone.

How can you leave out his rushing TDs in the QB TD %?

TDS are TDS whether he passes them or runs them in.

Of course they don't  :thumbsup:

Selective stats just don't add up to give the proper picture.  

41 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Fair enough. I would agree that, at this point, he is not quite where Russell was, but not far off either. For me, as it is for you, I'm sure, is that he is continuing to get better.

As an aside, and it is just my opinion, I believe his overall game would be better if Daboll was more consistent in implementing plays designed to maximize and take full advantage of the areas in which Allen has really progressed (and are his strengths) this year. I, feel at times, he has forced Allen into a role where he was playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths (i.e.; the New England game and, to some extent, the Cleveland game and a couple others). 

Daboll challenges Allen to read the defense and throw the football. That’s what your QB is supposed to do. 

I know everyone seems to want Allen to throw the balls 20 times a game and run the ball 40 times with Singletary, but that’s not how he is going to improve. Furthermore, I’m not sure that’s how we are even going to win. There were plays to be made vs NE and Cleveland that Allen didn’t make. That’s a opportunity for him to see on Monday and work on. He got rocked by Cover zero against the Pats, struggled against it in Dolphins #1 and then dominated it by Dolphins #2. That’s what you want. Look what happened to Mitch Trubisky. They built an offense to hide his weaknesses, it got figured out, and now they can’t even complete a pass.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

The fact that the Bills are running a pass first offense bodes well for Josh.  The coaching staff knows far better than we do how war along he is and what he can or cant do. I'd be much more concerned if we were limiting him .  He is far from finished in terms of growth as a qb.  Now about that long ball.....  Maybe he can hit one of those soon and goes on a heater

On Thanksgiving, with a climate controlled environment and a national TV audience, and with Jim Nantz and Tony Romo on the call, the Bills are really pumped to play that game whereas the Cowboys view it as a PITA.  Over under on Romo wows! for Josh Allen/Bills offensive plays?  Maybe 7.  I can see it now.  At least one vertical route hit, but there might be more.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

If he keeps playing well, he'll crawl over a few more guys.

Just this past game popped him up a few in QB rating.

Anyway, the trend is good.  There is a big diff in the effectiveness of a QB rating of 67.9 (2018) vs 85.4 (now).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

By any measure Allen has made broad & substantial improvements from last year.  Given that there were a lot of "experts" saying he should not see the field as a starter until the middle of his 2nd season or even not until his 3rd year demonstrates that his performance has exceeded almost all the pre-draft expectations. 

And he has accomplished this with an offensive line-up that is far from elite.  Making matters even tougher, the Bill's offense has seen an almost complete turnover in personnel from last season to this season. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This really has been my primary issue with Daboll - his consistency in playing to his team's strengths (particularly Allen) / opponents' weaknesses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, hemma said:

If he keeps playing well, he'll crawl over a few more guys.

Just this past game popped him up a few in QB rating.

Anyway, the trend is good.  There is a big diff in the effectiveness of a QB rating of 67.9 (2018) vs 85.4 (now).

Enjoy it, even though 85 isn't very good in today's game. His numbers are about to take a big hit.

48 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Daboll challenges Allen to read the defense and throw the football. That’s what your QB is supposed to do. 

I know everyone seems to want Allen to throw the balls 20 times a game and run the ball 40 times with Singletary, but that’s not how he is going to improve. Furthermore, I’m not sure that’s how we are even going to win. There were plays to be made vs NE and Cleveland that Allen didn’t make. That’s a opportunity for him to see on Monday and work on. He got rocked by Cover zero against the Pats, struggled against it in Dolphins #1 and then dominated it by Dolphins #2. That’s what you want. Look what happened to Mitch Trubisky. They built an offense to hide his weaknesses, it got figured out, and now they can’t even complete a pass.

I have never advocated that Allen throw the ball 20 times per game and the run game have 40 rushes per game. Ever.

I would love to see Allen throw the ball 35-40 times per game. He is absolutely expected to be able to read defenses and he does a pretty decent job for being in his second year. That doesn't mean he is great at it yet, or that he shouldn't have help in the the design and call of plays.

He struggled against the Pats because Daboll insisted on attacking the strength of the NE defense (their secondary) with Allen's and the the team's weaknesses (the long ball, and standing in the pocket/pass protection for longer developing plays). There were some plays to be made in that game (as there are in every game); however, there was far more potential for problems. Add in the fact that Belichick is pretty good at putting together defense that confuse young QBs. For every "play there was to be made" in that game, I will show you three where Allen was running for his life behind a line being asked to block long enough for receivers, who struggled with getting separation, to get open against one of the better secondaries in the NFL.

The gameplan wasn't even close to being the same in the Miami game on Sunday. For the most part, they were quicker hitting pass plays that were in Allen's wheelhouse this year: from the LOS to 20 yards downfield. Even the 40 yard TD pass to Brown was a 22 yd completion. When they went to that same strategy in the second half (for awhile at least) of the New England game, Allen was much better.

Allen does better throwing on early downs with a quicker tempo and plays that devlop more quickly in that LOS - 20yd range. Allen does not do well with the deep ball, longer developing plays, or "run, run pass on 3rd and long." When they stick to what he does best, they generally do well. When they move away from it, they generally don't. 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Brissett too.

Yup. I’m surprised Brissett developed as well as he did. Lucked into two excellent spots and took advantage of the opportunities. Im happy for him. Finley on the other hand seems to have drawn the short straw.

The D line pipeline is equally impressive. They seem to send the whole line to the NFL, reload in 3-4 years and do it again. Unfortunately, the Pack is horrid to watch during the reloading cycles.