Josh Allen's statistical placement through 15 games vs 2018 season

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering he started 11 games last year but didn't finish the Texans game, maybe this is a good checkpoint:

QB Passing attempts

2018: 30th

2019 : 15th

QB passing yards per game minimum 150 attempts 

2018: 35th

2019: 26th

QB Passing TDs

2018: 32nd

2019: 19th

QB TD %

2018: 31st

2019: 23rd

QB INT %

2019: 20th

QB Completion %

2018: 33rd

2019: 30th

QB YPA

2019: 24th

QB ANY/A

Sack %

2018: 26th

QB Passer Rating 

Those are just his passing stats of course.

No, he did not pop into the top half or top 10 of the league. As I know many are aware, I thought he would. 

I was wrong and can accept that. Already have a couple bets I'll pay up on.

But we've clearly seen some legitimate improvements in Allen as a passer this offseason. I don't know how anyone could argue against that.

And there's also, of course, his running stats compared with other QBs 

QB rushing yards 

2018: 2nd

2019: 3rd

QB rushing TDs

2018: 1st

2019: 1st

Throwing wise I expected him to be further up the list but I forgot how bad he was his first 5 starts, so his improvement is still good. He is doing what needs to be done without a roster of loaded all Stars on offense, so I am pleased and still have hope.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering he started 11 games last year but didn't finish the Texans game, maybe this is a good checkpoint:

QB Passing attempts

2018: 30th

2019 : 15th

QB passing yards per game minimum 150 attempts 

2018: 35th

2019: 26th

QB Passing TDs

QB TD %

2018: 31st

QB INT %

2019: 20th

QB Completion %

2018: 33rd

2019: 30th

QB YPA

QB ANY/A

Sack %

2018: 26th

QB Passer Rating 

Those are just his passing stats of course.

No, he did not pop into the top half or top 10 of the league. As I know many are aware, I thought he would. 

I was wrong and can accept that. Already have a couple bets I'll pay up on.

But we've clearly seen some legitimate improvements in Allen as a passer this offseason. I don't know how anyone could argue against that.

And there's also, of course, his running stats compared with other QBs 

QB rushing yards 

2018: 2nd

2019: 3rd

QB rushing TDs

2018: 1st

2019: 1st

Thanks for those. I have to keep reminding myself that he was viewed by many, of the top 4 picked,  as being the least polished but having the most potential. I'm guessing his biggest jump in the stats will happen next year?

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

? Chris Simms said his inaccuracy can be fixed, but we haven't seen that yet.

He’s approximately 10% higher in his completions?

His short game is much better than last year.

I agree that he is not a naturally accurate passer but he is clearly better than last year.

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except he isn't. Russ threw 26 touchdowns each of this first two seasons - that is 52. Josh has thrown 23 touchdowns to this point in his career. To get to the same number as Russ after two seasons he would need to average almost 5 passing touchdowns a game over the final 6 weeks.

He did, of course, only start 11 games his rookie year. If you pro-rata Russ's 52 touchdowns over 32 games it is 1.625 per game. If you multiply that by Josh's 27 starts it comes out just under 44, whereas Josh is on pace currently for 35 touchdowns by the end of year 2 so he is still a fair way off.

I presume you are throwing in his rushing touchdowns too.... where he has a 10 touchdown lead on Wilson's first two seasons with 6 still to play. His rushing TDs are nice. And they buy him more time as he continues to develop as a Quarterback who can read the field when things happen quicker in the redzone. But at this stage he is decidedly not the passer Russell Wilson or say a Deshaun Watson (another mobile QB) were in their first two years. That is probably to be expected - they played at major colleges and started in big college football games. Josh played at Wyoming in comparison.

I'm not correcting you to criticise Josh but the statement on his passing numbers being equal to Wilson's is misleading.  

Always respect your opinion Gunner; however, I would say Allen is much closer to what Wilson was in his first two years than not.

Allen is on pace this year to finish with  3480 yds, 21 TDs, 11 INTs, and 11 Rushing TDs

Wilson in his second year finished with 3357 yds, 26 TDs, 09 INTs, and 01 Rushing TDs

It is truly hard to compare Allen's first year with Wilson's first year. Allen started only 11 games to Wilson's 16. Allen was asked to carry a team with no running game and arguably bottom 3 talent at WR and OL. Wilson was asked to manage a team with the number one rushing game and a defense that was not only #1 in the league, but also great at forcing turnovers and creating good field position for the offense.

As far as the rushing TDs go, I think it is a bit unfair to equate that to Josh having an inability to process the field quicker in the redzone. I would agree with you that was the case last year, but not so much at this point. I think it is more a product of a lack of real ability by receivers to get open in the redzone, trust in them to make contested catches, and confidence in his ability to make plays with his feet inside the 10 yard line. Wilson also had, perhaps, the best power rushing game inside the 10 yard line in the league, which, IMO, opened things up for his receivers a bit more.

While he may not have the same number of passing TDs over his first two years as Wilson, I would say, given everything else, he is closer right now to what Wilson was in his second year than you think.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

People are going to always be into stats. That’s fine. It really is as simple as: Allen is Cam Newton without the attention. They are the same on the field. That’s who he is. You just have to win a different way with that type of QB and that’s ok.

You are right about one thing: Your analysis is simple....

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Always respect your opinion Gunner; however, I would say Allen is much closer to what Wilson was in his first two years than not.

Allen is on pace this year to finish with  3480 yds, 21 TDs, 11 INTs, and 11 Rushing TDs

Wilson in his second year finished with 3357 yds, 26 TDs, 09 INTs, and 01 Rushing TDs

It is truly hard to compare Allen's first year with Wilson's first year. Allen started only 11 games to Wilson's 16. Allen was asked to carry a team with no running game and arguably bottom 3 talent at WR and OL. Wilson was asked to manage a team with the number one rushing game and a defense that was not only #1 in the league, but also great at forcing turnovers and creating good field position for the offense.

As far as the rushing TDs go, I think it is a bit unfair to equate that to Josh having an inability to process the field quicker in the redzone. I would agree with you that was the case last year, but not so much at this point. I think it is more a product of a lack of real ability by receivers to get open in the redzone, trust in them to make contested catches, and confidence in his ability to make plays with his feet inside the 10 yard line. Wilson also had, perhaps, the best power rushing game inside the 10 yard line in the league, which, IMO, opened things up for his receivers a bit more.

While he may not have the same number of passing TDs over his first two years as Wilson, I would say, given everything else, he is closer right now to what Wilson was in his second year than you think.

I agree with most of the above.... although I still think he is a less natural processor and thrower than Russ..... but the bolded..... I still see issues processing in the redzone at times.

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

People are going to always be into stats. That’s fine. It really is as simple as: Allen is Cam Newton without the attention. They are the same on the field. That’s who he is. You just have to win a different way with that type of QB and that’s ok.

I don’t think you know what cam newton plays like...

• Haha (+1) 1

Allen had the least amount of starts coming out of college. That's the reason he was considered a project above all else. Lack of experience. Comparing his 2nd year to Russ' second year is a bit misleading because Russ started for 4 years in college. Josh had 649 pass attempts over two full seasons, Russ had nearly 1,500 attempts over 4 years. He had 527 in ONE season. That's a huge gap in experience. Lets just be happy we got our guy and he's improving every week.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Allen had the least amount of starts coming out of college. That's the reason he was considered a project above all else. Lack of experience. Comparing his 2nd year to Russ' second year is a bit misleading because Russ started for 4 years in college. Josh had 649 pass attempts over two full seasons, Russ had nearly 1,500 attempts over 4 years. He had 527 in ONE season. That's a huge gap in experience. Lets just be happy we got our guy and he's improving every week.

Agree. And I did make that point. It is perfectly fine for Allen to be less developed at this stage than a Wilson or a Watson who played a lot more college ball and at a higher level.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

23rd is better than 32nd. True enough, but it's nowhere near good enough. So the real question is how good can he be and how long will it take to get there? Chris Simms said his inaccuracy can be fixed, but we haven't seen that yet. In the meantime, we would do well to keep handing the ball off to Singletary. That worked quite well last Sunday.

I still have serious doubts about Josh, but I do like him and want him to succeed. Beane is the one I'm most worried about.

His completion percentage is up almost 10%..... we've literally seen it be fixed. It doesn't happen over night.. If he's up 5% again next year.. we're at ~67% completion percentage... jesus........ 

we're 7-3. How did you make it through the drought?

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with most of the above.... although I still think he is a less natural processor and thrower than Russ..... but the bolded..... I still see issues processing in the redzone at times.

Fair enough. I would agree that, at this point, he is not quite where Russell was, but not far off either. For me, as it is for you, I'm sure, is that he is continuing to get better.

As an aside, and it is just my opinion, I believe his overall game would be better if Daboll was more consistent in implementing plays designed to maximize and take full advantage of the areas in which Allen has really progressed (and are his strengths) this year. I, feel at times, he has forced Allen into a role where he was playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths (i.e.; the New England game and, to some extent, the Cleveland game and a couple others). 

26 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don’t think you know what cam newton plays like...

Exactly like Josh Allen. Have you watched him? Not Cam Newton post injuries. Original Cam Newton where he was a physical runner and was the panthers best redzone threat. A little inaccurate, big arm, very hard to bring down, excellent runner.

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Fair enough. I would agree that, at this point, he is not quite where Russell was, but not far off either. For me, as it is for you, I'm sure, is that he is continuing to get better.

As an aside, and it is just my opinion, I believe his overall game would be better if Daboll was more consistent in implementing plays designed to maximize and take full advantage of the areas in which Allen has really progressed (and are his strengths) this year. I, feel at times, he has forced Allen into a role where he was playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths (i.e.; the New England game and, to some extent, the Cleveland game and a couple others). 

Agree we should play to his strengths, and those are not - at this point in his career - making a clutch throw on 3rd down with a full field read when everyone in the stadium knows you are going to throw. Run, run, pass is not what Josh is built to execute. Especially this week. The book on beating the Broncos D is throw on 1st down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Exactly like Josh Allen. Have you watched him? Not Cam Newton post injuries. Original Cam Newton where he was a physical runner and was the panthers best redzone threat. A little inaccurate, big arm, very hard to bring down, excellent runner.

I guess pre-injury you are right.  Cam is similar to where JA is now. However, JA's completion percentage and yards/attempt are on an upward trajectory. Cam never really improved (excluding single year bumps).  By rule, QBs completion percentage shouldn't increase.  But JA has already broke that rule.  If he continues to improve his completion percentage, he will surpass Cam. 

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If issues with process = #1 in redzone TD percentage then SIGN ME UP FOR MORE issues with the PROCESS