NFLs All Time Team

Buffalo716

on purely football basis, 

#1 Jim Brown #1

#2 OJ (hands down)

He was the most electrifying runner ever - changed the way the position was played 

In 1975, when RB's were not utilized as receivers he had 40 catches for 600 yards

He was the first RB to have incredible speed and size and was a threat to score a TD every time he touched the ball

And look at the teams he played on - there was no passing game.

In 1973, when he ran for 2,003 yards and averaged 6.0 yards /carry  our starting QB's (Joe Ferguson) stat's were

73 completion in 164 Attempts (44.5%) for 939 yards, 4 TD, 10 INT's. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. Earl Campbell

Most folks here (including myself) never saw Jim Brown play and people love to exhibit recency bias in these types of opinions.

But I will always remember my father going on about Jim Brown and how the guy was like no other runner.  Speed and power.

It just seems like Jim Brown should be #1 on this list; he seems to have been the most unique talent at the position, though OJ would be right up there too.

Adrian Peterson has the best blend of speed, power and elusiveness I’ve seen.  He gets my vote as the best RB I’ve ever seen.

Jim Brown playing vs little men gets my

nod for #2 due to his pure dominance. I’m 45, so I’ve only seen highlights and documentaries. 

Barry #3.  Watched his entire career.  Might be #1 if he didn’t play for the Lions

16 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Jim Brown

OJ Simpson

Walter Payton

Hard to argue that, but there is no RB list, especially a top 3, that I can make that wouldn't have Barry Sanders on it.  He would be just as dominant in any era, past, present or future.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Juice had the fullback weight and more speed than a quick running back.

the only one....

hey you go kids, he hit top speed by his second step

He was the best I ever saw.  And for most of his career he played on Bills teams with no other weapons at all.  In one MNF game against Pittsburgh (during the Steelers’ dynasty years) he ran for over 260 yards while the Bills’ QB went 2-16 passing, for less than 40 yards. 

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hmm i'd probably go with Barry.  The guy was just so smooth.  Not to mention his college season record somehow still stands even though there are teams that play 14 games and he only played 11.  

If i gotta pick 3 - i'll add Faulk because of his pass catching on 3rd downs.  After that I want Bettis for short yardage situations.  

It's not an all-time team for me, i want my team to be able to have a HOFer to contribute at their best in any situation.  

Edited by dneveu

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

He was the best I ever saw.  And for most of his career he played on Bills teams with no other weapons at all.  In one MNF game against Pittsburgh (during the Steelers’ dynasty years) he ran for over 260 yards while the Bills’ QB went 2-16 passing, for less than 40 yards. 

he said that every man on the Pittsburgh D was perfectly textbook placed on every single down and he put in some counter moves to rack up that many yards

it was an honor to cheer for this man, of course the other stuff later detracts from the overall picture.....

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

on purely football basis, 

#1 Jim Brown #1

#2 OJ (hands down)

He was the most electrifying runner ever - changed the way the position was played 

In 1975, when RB's were not utilized as receivers he had 40 catches for 600 yards

He was the first RB to have incredible speed and size and was a threat to score a TD every time he touched the ball

And look at the teams he played on - there was no passing game.

In 1973, when he ran for 2,003 yards and averaged 6.0 yards /carry  our starting QB's (Joe Ferguson) stat's were

73 completion in 164 Attempts (44.5%) for 939 yards, 4 TD, 10 INT's. 

You lost your cred with the bolded part. Do Amad Rashad, JD Hill, Bob Chandler & Mark Brammer ring a bell?

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You lost your cred with the bolded part. Do Amad Rashad, JD Hill, Bob Chandler & Mark Brammer ring a bell?

No.  Go back and look at the Bills' passing stats in 1972 and 1973.  I know the game was different back then, but the Bills' QBs stunk, including Fergy's rookie year, when he threw for under 100 yards per game and completed less than 50 percent of his throws.  And that's not even counting OJ's first three years in the league, when the Bills' "braintrust" decided he should play sparingly due to his alleged deficiencies as a blocker.