MNF: Chiefs vs Chargers from Mexico City

YoloinOhio

Belated MNF reflections (I've been in meetings since 9am.... the cheek of it!)

- What the hell was that field? I know in the early years we didn't exactly provide you with a carpet to play on at Wembley but that field looked like cattle had been grazing on it until an hour before kick off.

- Sloppy game on both sides. For all the Chargers "altitude training" in Colorado the past week they were a mess. They just make so many mistakes. Anthony Lynn is almost certainly safe this year but he will start next year on a warming seat.

- When Bosa and Ingram are on they can wreck a game. The Chiefs basically had to abandon their deep passing game in the second half and went to screens and dump offs, used Kelce and the backs much more than the receivers down the field to try and use the Chargers aggression against them. For the most part it worked.

- Austin Eckler is the most fun player in the league. Love him.

- LeSean McCoy can still play. The Chiefs have managed his workload well but I can see some Darren Sproles like late career value there as mainly a receiving back. Still fun to watch him shake and bake.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

- What the hell was that field? I know in the early years we didn't exactly provide you with a carpet to play on at Wembley but that field looked like cattle had been grazing on it until an hour before kick off.

- Sloppy game on both sides. For all the Chargers "altitude training" in Colorado the past week they were a mess. They just make so many mistakes. Anthony Lynn is almost certainly safe this year but he will start next year on a warming seat.

- When Bosa and Ingram are on they can wreck a game. The Chiefs basically had to abandon their deep passing game in the second half and went to screens and dump offs, used Kelce and the backs much more than the receivers down the field to try and use the Chargers aggression against them. For the most part it worked.

- LeSean McCoy can still play. The Chiefs have managed his workload well but I can see some Darren Sproles like late career value there as mainly a receiving back. Still fun to watch him shake and bake.

Chargers always have ton of top end talent and come up with a way to fail.  Past time for them to take a look at the leadership on the team and why they cant get over the hump.  I like Phillip Rivers moxie but he's never had that run when it counts. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Chargers always have ton of top end talent and come up with a way to fail.  Past time for them to take a look at the leadership on the team and why they cant get over the hump.  I like Phillip Rivers moxie but he's never had that run when it counts. 

They haven’t been supremely talented since 2009 honestly. They were similar to those languishing Saints-Brees years in a lot of ways, only getting to .500 or so on their QB’s back. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes, 100% they would.  They may be salty at first, but there is something about being 1 of the 32 cities lucky enough to have a NFL franchise that helps wounds heal.  However, Spanos may have some mea culpas to say.

I think they would welcome the team back with open arms, as long as Spanos is left behind.....

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Incoming Jeremy White to tell us that 4,the quarter comebacks don't matter.

I never listen to white as im sleeping but it sounds like him and Dopp should work together, preferably in the morning so i don't have to listen :lol: . I really wish Sal had a show , actually is knowledge about football and has reasonable arguments.

I gotta think this is Rivers ' last year starting for Chargers.  He is spent. he's wearing cement shoes and lobs ducks that are only completed if his guy can get to it and out jump the DB.  Coach Lynne went down with the ship this year.  Doubt he wants to do that again next year.

and then there's the mouth. :D

On 11/19/2019 at 4:07 AM, GunnerBill said:

Does Mahomes look healthy to you?  I know he had some nice scrambles, but it looks like he’s limping and not 100 percent....I can’t believe the Chiefs would rush him back too soon, but it looks like they might have.  I’m wondering if it might be affecting his accuracy, too.

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

Does Mahomes look healthy to you?  I know he had some nice scrambles, but it looks like he’s limping and not 100 percent....I can’t believe the Chiefs would rush him back too soon, but it looks like they might have.  I’m wondering if it might be affecting his accuracy, too.

I did wonder that. Not sure he is planting when throwing but can't work out if that is just his footwork is always a bit unique or if it is a change from the ordinary.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I did wonder that. Not sure he is planting when throwing but can't work out if that is just his footwork is always a bit unique or if it is a change from the ordinary.

I'm actually thinking that last year was the best season he'll ever have and that he's a great QB, but not the Immortal God everyone made him out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

He definitely had a hitch in his gait when he was running and doesn't appear to have a good foundation when he throws.   Something is definitely off compared to earlier in the season. 

My guess is that most humans wouldn't even be standing after the hits his ankle absorbed.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

Never understood why everyone thinks the tuck rule is a Brady protection thing. It was directly in the rule book, in black and white. In fact, I think it was in there until around 2010. It was absolutely the correct ruling on the play. But a lot of people (not saying you, but a lot of people) think it was a rule made out of thin air to protect Brady. Brady’s intention is irrelevant with the interpretation of the rule. The correct interpretation was applied in that scenario. 

nobody defended it at the time

those who did claimed Woodson hit Brady in the helmet intentionally so it should have been roughing the passer, but the video doesnt' show that

and then the crickets took over and here we are

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nobody defended it at the time

those who did claimed Woodson hit Brady in the helmet intentionally so it should have been roughing the passer, but the video doesnt' show that

and then the crickets took over and here we are

Here’s the exact rule from the NFL rulebook at the time. 

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body.

It was actually in the rule book until 2013. 100% the right call as Brady’s arm is going forward and then tucking in. Incomplete forward pass.