MNF: Chiefs vs Chargers from Mexico City

YoloinOhio

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Well, he is currently #6 all-time in passing yards and #6 all-time in passing TDs.  Next up on the list is Dan Marino at #5 who is less than 4000 yards over Rivers at the moment and played 16 seasons to River's 15.  And Rivers sat for two years behind Brees (so he's only started for 13 seasons).  Not bad for one of the most immobile and pure pocket passers.  Yes, he's definitely a choker and that is a huge knock on him.

Sure, but Rivers also played in the most pass-happy era in NFL history. If he gets in because of career passing yards, then I will make a case for Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, Kerry Collins, Carson Palmer, etc... Do you think Matt Ryan is a Hall of Famer? Stafford? Both may likely pass Marino when their careers are up. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

Sure, but Rivers also played in the most pass-happy era in NFL history. If he gets in because of career passing yards, then I will make a case for Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, Kerry Collins, Carson Palmer, etc... Do you think Matt Ryan is a Hall of Famer? Stafford? Both may likely pass Marino when their careers are up. 

The pass happy era started with the Fouts' and Marino's.  Ever heard of Air Coryell and the author of the NFL's modern passing game?  Surely you have.  His stats hold up pretty well and he will get in.  I definitely do not think he will be a first ballot hall of famer, but it's going to be hard to keep him out.  I mean, he's number#6 in two key passing categories in 13 years, never missed a game, so I think his pros will outweigh his cons and he will eventually get in.  If he decides to play and starts another year, he will pass Marino.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

6 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

Agreed.  His failure in the playoffs, not ever winning the MVP or offensive player of the year, and a likely logjam at QB may prevent him from making it despite his seven pro bowl selections.  Unless they loosen the standards and put 20 in every year like the idiotic decision they made to induct 20 in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  His failure in the playoffs, not ever winning the MVP or offensive player of the year, and a likely logjam at QB may prevent him from making it despite his seven pro bowl selections.  Unless they loosen the standards and put 20 in every year like the idiotic decision they made to induct 20 in 2020.

Pretty confident that Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rivers will all get in.  The 2004 class ranks up there with the 1983 class. 

• Like (+1) 2

Think we are watching Rivers falling off a cliff right before our eyes...7 INTs in the past 2 weeks is more than some QBs will.probably throw all season.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Rivers also needs to take some blame as to why the Chargers seemingly have found new and interesting ways to lose every week for the past 3 years...at some point that falls back to the QB and leadership he is giving or lacking 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Think we are watching Rivers falling off a cliff right before our eyes...7 INTs in the past 2 weeks is more than some QBs will.probably throw all season.

Rivers also needs to take some blame as to why the Chargers seemingly have found new and interesting ways to lose every week for the past 3 years...at some point that falls back to the QB and leadership he is giving or lacking 

It's the Chargers, it's what they do!  Going back as far as I can remember.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Pretty confident that Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rivers will all get in.  The 2004 class ranks up there with the 1983 class. 

It's an interesting debate because Roethlisberger and Rivers have similar stats but the former has two Superbowl victories.  Eli doesn't have the stats but has two Superbowl wins against the Pats in dramatic fashion.  I'd personally vote Roethlisberger and Rivers in.  I'd leave Eli out as he's a good but not HOF worthy QB.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

It's an interesting debate because Roethlisberger and Rivers have similar stats but the former has two Superbowl victories.  Eli doesn't have the stats but has two Superbowl wins against the Pats in dramatic fashion.  I'd personally vote Roethlisberger and Rivers in.  I'd leave Eli out as he's a good but not HOF worthy QB.

If you look at total passing yards and TDs for their careers, they are really close together.  Keep in mind, Rivers sat for two years behind Brees while the other two got a two year head start on him. He’s passed them both, but they are #7 and #8 respectively.  They have two SB wins and Rivers has 0.  I think they beat Rivers in, but Rivers will eventually get in.   

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree with you. That is how I would vote but the two rigs will get Eli in the HOF before Rivers

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

The pass happy era started with the Fouts' and Marino's.  Ever heard of Air Coryell and the author of the NFL's modern passing game?  Surely you have.  His stats hold up pretty well and he will get in.  I definitely do not think he will be a first ballot hall of famer, but it's going to be hard to keep him out.  I mean, he's number#6 in two key passing categories in 13 years, never missed a game, so I think his pros will outweigh his cons and he will eventually get in.  If he decides to play and starts another year, he will pass Marino.

I wouldn't have my job at GMFB if I didn't :)

Fouts and Marino played in an era spanning 1973-1999. They revolutionized the passing game, and you can call that era "pass-happy" if you'd like. But the passing stats then were nothing compared to what was seen during the true "pass-happy" era of the 21st century. I'll give you a Buffalo-centric example: compare Jim Kelly's passing stats with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You simply can't compare raw stats between radically different eras like that. The best you can do is compare these individuals with their contemporaries. Rivers played at the same time as a lot of future Hall of Fame QB's: Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, both Mannings, Rodgers, and possibly Wilson. So his stats and accomplishments will be compared with these 7 or so players. Maybe you're right that Rivers will eventually get in, but it will be after these guys and only because they ran out of obvious Hall of Fame choices at all the other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If you look at total passing yards and TDs for their careers, they are really close together.  Keep in mind, Rivers sat for two years behind Brees while the other two got a two year head start on him. He’s passed them both, but they are #7 and #8 respectively.  They have two SB wins and Rivers has 0.  I think they beat Rivers in, but Rivers will eventually get in.   

I have a hard time putting Eli in.  His career passer rating is 84.1 (well below Roethlisberger and Rivers by about 10 points).  He's led the league in interceptions three times (the only major QB category he's led the league in for any individual season).  He elevated his game in the postseason but it was primarily the defense that won those two SB's.  If you really look close at his numbers he's an average quarterback for his era that's career passing yards and td's are simply byproducts of the Giants being satisfied with average QB play for that span of time.

29 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

You simply can't compare raw stats between radically different eras like that. The best you can do is compare these individuals with their contemporaries. Rivers played at the same time as a lot of future Hall of Fame QB's: Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, both Mannings, Rodgers, and possibly Wilson. So his stats and accomplishments will be compared with these 7 or so players.

So let's compare them.

https://imgur.com/a/TNsMGO5

DLeIBwl.jpg

He's not on the level of the elite but he's had a great career. He's a borderline HOF'er, and to claim that his HOF candidacy would be "unbelievable" is just silly.

He's clearly past his prime now and it's easy to throw rocks at him.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Really?  Who is going to provide security for the players, staff and families?

It is different for a game - get in, play, get out - than living there with gangs of criminals who kidnap people with money and sometimes allow victims to live after ransom paid.

fa·ce·tious
/fəˈsēSHəs/
adjective
  1. treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
    "a facetious remark"

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Big Ben just threw up in his mouth a little bit being mentioned in the same sentence as Rivers.