Was Daboll talking Allen through pre-snap coverages yesterday?

HappyDays

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That can't be the case for an entire season tho .. we aren't the 91 no huddle Bills

And my point was it actually hinders QB development long-term

Depends if Josh actually learns from each situation or just continues to rely on Daboll? If it helps him to decipher coverages so that he will recognize this stuff in the future on his own, I’m all for it! He still has to execute post snap which seems to be improving!

39 minutes ago, eball said:

It would be nice if folks don't just run with the assumption that Daboll is reading coverages for Josh when there is no proof of it, only an internet rumor.

I didn’t run with it, someone else did and I responded that I’d prefer they not do it. 

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Could say the same for the other wunderkind, pederson.

I don't think it's the same at all.  Wentz's sucky performance at the end of the Pats game was directly related to having lost both his starting tackles.

They went into the half up 10-9

As Terry Bradshaw once said about Jim Kelly "it's hard to throw completions if you're sitting on your ass" but it's also hard to throw accurately if you're under big pressure.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't even a rumour. It is just wild, baseless, speculation.

Meh, the base is the fact that he made a change and went up in the box and even Eric Wood made a comment about it being possible.

But I think Daboll was pretty clear about it in his presser: if he sees something, he'll say something but he doesn't think it's a good idea to be in Allen's ear every play:

"The no-huddle, I would say you have some time to communicate, if you need to communicate. .....and I think you want to be smart about that, I don't think you want to be in the guy's ear the whole time....HE (emphasis his) has to play...like I've said, we have a lot of confidence in him.  He has liberty to get to a lot of things, and if there's something I see upstairs and I can tell him, without question that's what we'll do"

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically I hope that isn't the case

Mcvay has stunted Goffs growth as a true QB because he has always made the calls for him

It's easy to defend against too... Just disguise your coverage until under 15 seconds on the clock

You need to be able to see things pre and post snap and be able to recognize them

Goffs  weak arm and pathetic athleticism has stunted his growth...not mcvay helping him.  In fact I'd argue that's the only thing that's kept him from being a complete bust 

Josh will not want to be spoon fed by Daboll, at least not for very long.

He is too competitive for that and will want to read the D as well or better than Daboll.

Maybe Goff likes his food partially digested, but Allen?  I think not.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait.  We incorporate a ton of RPOs?  Help me out here @Buffalo716 @GunnerBill @thebandit27 @YoloinOhio

Perhaps I would not know an RPO if it bit me on the buttocks, but I do not see 'em much less a "Ton"

OK, maybe I've seen 1-2 plays a game that I thought were RPO, but usually I think it's Daboll faking the run on what's really a pass play all the way.

More Sunday than in previous weeks, but by no means a "ton". 

Even the Foles-led Eagles in their Super Bowl win only ran 9 RPO plays.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I haven't actually counted how many times we run it a game but it looks like a few to me. Maybe 3-5... Definitely don't think around 10

Allen will usually ride the fake longer on an RPO where he usually has a quicker real play fake

Agree

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't even a rumour. It is just wild, baseless, speculation.

And it's wrong.

The reason Allen had an easier time with pre snap reads on Sunday was the quickened pace. It prevents the D from changing personnel packages and looks, which lets the QB gain a comfort level faster.

25 minutes ago, hemma said:

Josh will not want to be spoon fed by Daboll, at least not for very long.

He is too competitive for that and will want to read the D as well or better than Daboll.

Maybe Goff likes his food partially digested, but Allen?  I think not.

I think this is a legit point.  Allen has his "eyes on the prize" of becoming a top NFL QB. 

So far, in his quest, he has not been deferred or deflected by little things like

-getting 0 Div I offers out of HS

-having to write 1000 letters to Div I programs after a year at Junior College

-getting a Div I offer then breaking his shoulder after 1 game

-having less than 60% completions in college

-needing to rework his throwing technique to improve accuracy

-stuff like "has less than 0% chance of becoming an NFL QB" "joke of a first round pick" etc written about him by the analytics guys

-being put #3 on the depth chart in training camp behind Nathan Peterman

I don't know if he'll make it, but by all accounts he's very smart so he must understand he's got to be able to fend for himself ASAP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, we know every QB gets play calls via their helmet radios.  I think what McVay does that's different is to audible through the helmet radio.  It doesn't make sense to try and interpret the defense to a QB with the helmet radio.  I think that gets too complicated to do in the time available in addition to making the play call.  I go back to something Chris Brown said recently, that Josh is getting very good at pre-snap reads.  What he finds challenging is making post snap reads and making adjustments post snap.  Lots of NFL defenses now (including Buffalo's) show one thing pre-snap, then quickly shift to doing something different post snap in order to confuse QBs.  That's very difficult for QBs to deal with, and Josh, having come into the league so raw is especially vulnerable.  He's learning, but his post snap reads are behind his pre-snap reading ability.

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is part of the reason. Though the Rams were never a gimmick offense. They weren't the Bears. The Rams were running a quite traditional offense with lots of window dressing. 

The much bigger part of the reason Goff looks lost is McVay is lost. His offense has been worked out and forced him to adjust and he can't. Goff needs to play better but go watch the all 22 of a Rams game the past 6 weeks..... nobody can get open and there are not creases for the run game. 

The Rams have played two excellent defenses in the past week -- Pitt and Chicago. At this point, they are 12th in points and 13th in yards. They aren't as good as last year, but let's not exaggerate. They're still a better-than-average offense. They do have a truly brutal final schedule, however: Ravens, Cowboys, Seahawks, 49ers, and AZ twice.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Rams have played two excellent defenses in the past week -- Pitt and Chicago. At this point, they are 12th in points and 13th in yards. They aren't as good as last year, but let's not exaggerate. They're still a better-than-average offense. They do have a truly brutal final schedule, however: Ravens, Cowboys, Seahawks, 49ers, and AZ twice.

I'd like to see where they rank since week 4. I think there are some real problems there.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's the same at all.  Wentz's sucky performance at the end of the Pats game was directly related to having lost both his starting tackles.

They went into the half up 10-9

As Terry Bradshaw once said about Jim Kelly "it's hard to throw completions if you're sitting on your ass" but it's also hard to throw accurately if you're under big pressure.

Bradshaw should know. It's hard to be a decent TV analyst when you're sitting on your ass, too! He's such a dufus.

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I thought that since Daboll is up in the booth, they do not allow direct communication from the booth to Allen, and that the information would be relayed to someone on the sideline and then the sideline would relay that to Allen

No.  That issue was specifically addressed in the presser.  What you describe is the way it used to be, but it's changed.

I think the change occurred in 2016 along with the big switch to VOIP

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/200304/major-improvements-coming-for-nfl-sideline-communication

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Big C said:

Agreed about McVay. Considering the Rams OL is not as dominant this year and Gurley is worse for the wear, not to mention Cooks got knocked out again, this is his first big test as an NFL HC and OC. Let's see how he adjusts.

Well we all knew that McVay made Goff. If McVay has indeed adjusted everything in his offense and Goff can't execute, it will be interesting to see what their next move is. I don't know all the cap numbers, but I'm pretty certain they are stuck with Goff for now.

Mayhaps, if all else fails, he’ll still have a starting gig at Ventura :D

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12