Jump to content
HappyDays

Was Daboll talking Allen through pre-snap coverages yesterday?

Recommended Posts

This is an interesting theory. Basically the same thing McVay was doing for Goff.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if you go no huddle with the headset, the defense doesn't have the ability to change the defense just before the snap.  That must be it.   Belichick would call two defenses for the same play.  Not sure that is possible if the offense is in hurry up mode?

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is able to up until 15 seconds so I don't know why he wouldn't tell him the coverage, one less thing he has to concentrate on presnap

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever it was, it worked. I prefer Daboll up high on game days. 

  • Like (+1) 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically I hope that isn't the case

 

Mcvay has stunted Goffs growth as a true QB because he has always made the calls for him

 

It's easy to defend against too... Just disguise your coverage until under 15 seconds on the clock

 

You need to be able to see things pre and post snap and be able to recognize them

  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically I hope that isn't the case

 

Mcvay has stunted Goffs growth as a true QB because he has always made the calls for him

 

It's easy to defend against too... Just disguise your coverage until under 15 seconds on the clock

 

You need to be able to see things pre and post snap and be able to recognize them

Unless you go no huddle and snap with 15 seconds left which happened at times yesterday...

Edited by Meatloaf63
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Unless you go no huddle and snap with 15 seconds left which happened at times yesterday...

That can't be the case for an entire season tho .. we aren't the 91 no huddle Bills

 

And my point was it actually hinders QB development long-term

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

That can't be the case for an entire season tho .. we aren't the 91 no huddle Bills

 

And my point was it actually hinders QB development long-term

You are probably right, But there is no proof if Daboll was doing that. Now if he helps him some and weens him off as his understanding grows I have no problem with this type of tutoring...

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s an option: let Josh develop in the trajectory you expected him to. I’d prefer no Bellicheat theatrics in this organization. Can it help with a single win against an inferior opponent? Sure! But that’s not the point with Josh. 
 

Everyone has to be thinking about the long game (a golf reference for the uninitiated)...next year and beyond. 

Edited by TroutDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, Archuleta was slamming the Bills

and Allen for repeatedly snapping the ball

with so much time left on the play clock when up by 10.

 

It makes more sense now. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

You are probably right, But there is no proof if Daboll was doing that. Now if he helps him some and weens him off as his understanding grows I have no problem with this type of tutoring...

I have no clue if it happened yesterday and I'm sure there is SOME type of communication

 

And you're right that we did snap the ball early sometimes in no huddle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I have no clue if it happened yesterday and I'm sure there is SOME type of communication

 

And you're right that we did snap the ball early sometimes in no huddle

At first I was upset we were not burning the clock, but then it became apparent when in rhythm, he’s almost unstoppable at times. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically I hope that isn't the case

 

Mcvay has stunted Goffs growth as a true QB because he has always made the calls for him

 

It's easy to defend against too... Just disguise your coverage until under 15 seconds on the clock

 

You need to be able to see things pre and post snap and be able to recognize them

 

Except I’m pretty sure McDaniels/Patsies have been doing this for years too. 

 

Part of spygate was an allegation they were feeding defensive signals to Brady real-time over an unassigned radio frequency up to the snap. 

 

Im sure they were doing all of the other stuff too. 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think McVay in the headset is the single most overblown narrative in the league. I very much doubt that was going on here too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Except I’m pretty sure McDaniels/Patsies have been doing this for years too. 

 

Part of spygate was an allegation they were feeding defensive signals to Brady real-time over an unassigned radio frequency up to the snap. 

 

Im sure they were doing all of the other stuff too. 

 

Having the actual play signal  vs having a coach trying to read the defense is a bit different

 

A QB realistically should learn how to breakdown a defense pre snap without needing his coach to help him eventually

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Here’s an option: let Josh develop in the trajectory you expected him to. I’d prefer no Bellicheat theatrics in this organization. Can it help with a single win against an inferior opponent? Sure! But that’s not the point with Josh. 

Or you know, get the Rams to the Super Bowl last year.

  • Meh 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically I hope that isn't the case

 

Mcvay has stunted Goffs growth as a true QB because he has always made the calls for him

 

It's easy to defend against too... Just disguise your coverage until under 15 seconds on the clock

 

You need to be able to see things pre and post snap and be able to recognize them

 

Its why Goff looks lost out there now...can't read coverages, can't diagnose pre snap reads, etc etc...

 

Once the DCs took away the gimmick plays and forced Goff to play QB he couldn't do it...he looks terrible out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can read the defensive alignments from the sidelines as well. So him talking in the headset from down below or from up top really doesn't give that much of an advantage. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why.  Wouldn't.  Daboll.

 

It could be seen as a crutch, but on the other hand, what better training aid is there?

 

If you noticed Allen's interview today with Murphy and Tasker, they asked him about how long Daboll was talking to him at the LOS and his answer was cagy to say the least.

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

 

Its why Goff looks lost out there now...can't read coverages, can't diagnose pre snap reads, etc etc...

 

Once the DCs took away the gimmick plays and forced Goff to play QB he couldn't do it...he looks terrible out there.

 

It is part of the reason. Though the Rams were never a gimmick offense. They weren't the Bears. The Rams were running a quite traditional offense with lots of window dressing. 

 

The much bigger part of the reason Goff looks lost is McVay is lost. His offense has been worked out and forced him to adjust and he can't. Goff needs to play better but go watch the all 22 of a Rams game the past 6 weeks..... nobody can get open and there are not creases for the run game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, isn't that part of the advantage of being in the booth? The only way it can hinder Josh's development as some seem to worry is if Daboll reads the defense, calls the plays and the reads for Josh every single play and never explains why during or after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It is part of the reason. Though the Rams were never a gimmick offense. They weren't the Bears. The Rams were running a quite traditional offense with lots of window dressing. 

 

The much bigger part of the reason Goff looks lost is McVay is lost. His offense has been worked out and forced him to adjust and he can't. Goff needs to play better but go watch the all 22 of a Rams game the past 6 weeks..... nobody can get open and there are not creases for the run game. 

 

This article disputes that...it claims McVay has adjusted to virtually everything that has been done to slow them down and that Goff is holding them back because he hasn't been able to execute well enough...

 

This is from 3 games into the season but i think its gotten worse not better mostly for Goff...

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/sean-mcvay-jared-goff-super-bowl-adjustments-patriots/amp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It is part of the reason. Though the Rams were never a gimmick offense. They weren't the Bears. The Rams were running a quite traditional offense with lots of window dressing. 

 

The much bigger part of the reason Goff looks lost is McVay is lost. His offense has been worked out and forced him to adjust and he can't. Goff needs to play better but go watch the all 22 of a Rams game the past 6 weeks..... nobody can get open and there are not creases for the run game. 

 

Agreed about McVay. Considering the Rams OL is not as dominant this year and Gurley is worse for the wear, not to mention Cooks got knocked out again, this is his first big test as an NFL HC and OC. Let's see how he adjusts.

Just now, matter2003 said:

 

This article disputes that...it claims McVay has adjusted to virtually everything that has been done to slow them down and that Goff is holding them back because he hasn't been able to execute well enough...

 

This is from 3 games into the season but i think its gotten worse not better mostly for Goff...

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/sean-mcvay-jared-goff-super-bowl-adjustments-patriots/amp

 

Well we all knew that McVay made Goff. If McVay has indeed adjusted everything in his offense and Goff can't execute, it will be interesting to see what their next move is. I don't know all the cap numbers, but I'm pretty certain they are stuck with Goff for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Calidiehard said:

You can read the defensive alignments from the sidelines as well. So him talking in the headset from down below or from up top really doesn't give that much of an advantage. 

This.... in fact, McVay is on the sidelines when he does this - so not sure why suddenly “Daboll in booth, he is now doing McVay things”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...