Advanced passing stats

Buffalo716

On 11/18/2019 at 6:52 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I won't give you stats but I'll give you a "picture worth 1000 words" chart or two off of NFL Nextgen Stats.

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Josh Allen.  OH NOES where are the >30 yd completions?

image.png.72935fd7e2cf34ac7f049ebdaafc8880.pngimage.png.a9c93c6a6c7781cae051be44f03d840a.png

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Drew Brees (click to embiggen).  Left is a win; Right is a loss. The take-home is that the "money" part of the field, is from behind the LOS to 15, maybe 20 yds past it.   There are only 5 throws past 20 yds, and they were all incompletions. 

image.thumb.png.c97593297afa5c7d84993b5bc7133e4d.png

Josh Allen will succeed or fail as an NFL QB based on his ability to turn more of those white dots between the LOS and the +20 line green, not based on whether or not he can hit a 30+ yd pass or throw a 300 yd game. (I know you know this, I'm speaking in general)

This seems like a perfectly cromulent response.  

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a good sign of progress. On the year he ranks 23rd in ANY/A but 10th over just the last 5 games.

Doesn't count sorry @HappyDays. You obviously didn't get the memo but we hate YardsPerPass because they said Allen played poorly against the Browns. ;)

Seriously though I like them I think they do a good job breaking things down and it is a good observation. The best element of Josh's game this year has been his intermediate level throwing. No doubt for me. He still isn't the best at the little dump offs, screens and swing passes (though I think he is better than last year) and his issues down field have been well documented but as far as I am concerned he has been very impressive in that intermediate range and they for me are the plays that win in this league.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I won't give you stats but I'll give you a "picture worth 1000 words" chart or two off of NFL Nextgen Stats.

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Josh Allen.  OH NOES where are the >30 yd completions?

image.png.72935fd7e2cf34ac7f049ebdaafc8880.pngimage.png.a9c93c6a6c7781cae051be44f03d840a.png

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Drew Brees (click to embiggen).  Left is a win; Right is a loss. The take-home is that the "money" part of the field, is from behind the LOS to 15, maybe 20 yds past it.   There are only 5 throws past 20 yds, and they were all incompletions. 

image.thumb.png.c97593297afa5c7d84993b5bc7133e4d.png

Josh Allen will succeed or fail as an NFL QB based on his ability to turn more of those white dots between the LOS and the +20 line green, not based on whether or not he can hit a 30+ yd pass or throw a 300 yd game. (I know you know this, I'm speaking in general)

I totally agree with this. The big 30 yard plus TD throws are nice but even the best QBs are doing well if they have half a dozen of those a season. You win in the intermediate range. And getting the ball out. They are almost the two things I look for above all else.