Advanced passing stats

Buffalo716

Sorry I don't have any graphs or anything like that, but after rewatching the games I have noticed a big similarity

How good Allen is at throwing the intermediate ball, between 10-20 yards.. these are money throws and chain movers

These are tight window throws because they take place in high traffic areas

Going through the first 10 games of the season Josh Allen is sitting at over 63% completion on passes between 10-20 yards..  by my calculations that would put him top 10

All the detractors and nay Sayers who say he can't hit a receiver to save his life should soak that up ...

The 10-20 yard window is where great QBs make their money historically, and they can move the chains at will

Josh has been improved 10x since last season and his intermediate ball is on par with the tops in the league and he is only getting more confidence

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry I don't have any graphs or anything like that, but after rewatching the games I have noticed a big similarity

How good Allen is at throwing the intermediate ball, between 10-20 yards.. these are money throws and chain movers

Going through the first 10 games of the season Josh Allen is sitting at over 63% completion on passes between 10-20 yards..  by my calculations that would put him 7th overall in that category

All the detractors and nay Sayers who say he can't hit a receiver to save his life should soak that up ...

The 10-20 yard window is where great QBs make their money historically, and they can move the chains at will

Josh has been improved 10x since last season and his intermediate ball is on par with the tops in the league and he is only getting more confidence

There was a stat on here that covered this last week, I can’t remember what thread it was though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

There was a stat on here that covered this last week, I can’t remember what thread it was though. 

Cool thanks

I mean Allen is still growing and has lots of kinks to work out but i really am pumped for the future because he is progressing

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going through the first 10 games of the season Josh Allen is sitting at over 63% completion on passes between 10-20 yards..  by my calculations that would put him 7th-8th overall in that category

Losman was said to be a "one trick pony" by some becasue of his deep ball success.  Trent Edwards earned the nickname Captain Checkdown for good reason.  Owning the 10 to 20 range means the offense has a chance to succeed in the toughest of circumstances and is as the bolded states .  Many of these routes are digs, comebacks and outs so YAC does not always come with them but they are throws made into the teeth of the defense, "Big Boy throws" as some say, and Josh's progress there is maybe the most encouraging growth in his game.  The only thing missing has been the deep post and vertical routes but Jordan Palmer says they are coming.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 9

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going through the first 10 games of the season Josh Allen is sitting at over 63% completion on passes between 10-20 yards..  by my calculations that would put him 7th-8th overall in that category

Pretty sure @GunnerBill has mentioned this previously as well as to why he is encouraged by Allen's overall play this year. 

His ability to hit these throws are why I think he is a starting QB, if not more.  We can flash stats until we are blue in the face, but Allen consistently hits throws EJ and TT could never make. TT was able to hit alot of deep balls, and so I think that made him look better than he was.  As nice as those throws are, its the 10-20 yard throws that keeps the chains moving, converts third downs, and is generally key to offensive viability.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Losman was said to be a "one trick pony" by some becasue of his deep ball success.  Trent Edwards earned the nickname Captain Checkdown for good reason.  Owning the 10 to 20 range means the offense has a chance to succeed in the toughest of circumstances and is as the bolded states .  Many of these routes are digs, combacks and outs so YAC does not always come with them but they are throws made into the teeth of the defense, "Big Boy throws" as some say, and Josh's progress there is maybe the most encouraging growth in his game.  The only thing missing has been the deep post and vertical routes but Jordan Palmer says they are coming.

Josh has been making tons of big boy throws

15-20 yard sqaure ins... Only a few QBs in the world throw that

15-20 yard digs opposite hash

That 9 route to split Tampa 2 yesterday was Favre esqe ..  frozen rope on a dime . You don't see that often in the NFL

And you are right those intermediate routes aren't huge YAC gainers but they are chain movers

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Pretty sure @GunnerBill has mentioned this previously as well as to why he is encouraged by Allen's overall play this year. 

Last week Gunner said he was done with Allen ?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Lol there was just an article on this with his ranking and what not...by your calculations...??

I would've linked an article if I read it

I rewatch every game and keep tabs of good amount of stats

I literally watched every single throw from Allen , Baker and Lamar and Darnold  their last seasons in college and broke it down too

Hence I said I don't have any articles or graphs or anything. I'd link it if I saw it, I've never had a problem linking someone's else's article

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

he is also very good at quick slants. his timing has really improved on these routes and we pickup huge yards everytime we run them

which makes you question why Dabboll doesn't use the RPO more often. Allen froze the entire defense a few times using it yesterday but we hardly run this type of offense. this is why I don't believe our problems on offense are from Allen, its a system/scheme problem 

• Like (+1) 1

Also I would like to add that during the game the commentator actually had good insight on 1 thing

He said after the beautiful TD by Allen to Brown vs Tampa 2 defense that Arm strength is overrated UNTIL YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH

There are only a FEW QBs in the world that can throw that strike in between Tampa 2 at 30 yards.. it's a throw most QBs don't even attempt unless its blown coverage

That throw 100% highlights the ceiling of Allen and the kind of unworldly throws he can make

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Allen has thrown some absolute lasers that are hitting dudes right in the hands on these throws...its exciting to see him start coming around like that....now we just need him to keep improving at coverage recognition pre snap and seeing open receivers a little better...

I know the QBR numbers don't like Allen at all but i think the dude is a baller and has things that cant be taught like being clutch in the 4th quarter and late in games...

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Also I would like to add that during the game the commentator actually had good insight on 1 thing

He said after the beautiful TD by Allen to Brown vs Tampa 2 defense that Arm strength is overrated UNTIL YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH

There are only a FEW QBs in the world that can throw that strike in between Tampa 2 at 30 yards.. it's a throw most QBs don't even attempt unless its blown coverage

That throw 100% highlights the ceiling of Allen and the kind of unworldly throws he can make

Yeah that was an absolute rocket launcher perfectly placed between the defenders that got there so fast it LOOKED like a blown coverage but it wasn't, the ball just got there so fast

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Allen has thrown some absolute lasers that are hitting dudes right in the hands on these throws...its exciting to see him start coming around like that....now we just need him to keep improving at coverage recognition pre snap and seeing open receivers a little better...

I know the QBR numbers don't like Allen at all but i think the dude is a baller and has things that cant be taught like being clutch in the 4th quarter and late in games...

Yeah that was an absolute rocket launcher perfectly placed between the defenders that got there so fast it LOOKED like a blown coverage but it wasn't, the ball just got there so fast

what made it impressive was it was a Laser. Most of the time that throw needs to be made outside of the WR on the Sideline with touch to protect it from the Safety Coming over and with the Arc to put it over the short defender. 

not Josh though he has the arm talent to put it on a rope in the which allows Brown to brace for the safety coming over and shake him off for the YAC   

this throw is not made weekly by QBs. Most of the time it is thrown with touch to the sideline which results in a toe tap reception or a contested Ball by the Safety coming over. 

it is a Zone Beater throw that maybe 5 QBs can make (The way Allen tossed it) and Allen is one. 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I think you win in the NFL in the intermediate range. Yes you have to be able to threaten deep (by hitting the odd deep ball) but you win in that 10-25 range. They are the plays that move the chains and allow drives to gather momentum.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Last week Gunner said he was done with Allen ?

Wasn't quite what I said. I said I was off the franchise QB bandwagon. And I still am. I was on it after Cincy. I am now back in wait and see mode. 

I have no problem saying he was very good this week. Excellent in fact. But doesn't change how disappointed I was with his play at the Browns. He said it, the coaches said it, numerous analysts who broke down the tape said it. And yet it was seen as a radical view here. Apparently McDermott sat down with him 1 to 1 this week and told him to be himself. I hope that was a lightbulb moment because since New England he has become incredibly tentative. This week was much more like weeks 1-3 when I was riding the Allen wave.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think you win in the NFL in the intermediate range. Yes you have to be able to threaten deep (by hitting the odd deep ball) but you win in that 10-25 range. They are the plays that move the chains and allow drives to gather momentum.

Wasn't quite what I said. I said I was off the franchise QB bandwagon. And I still am. I was on it after Cincy. I am now back in wait and see mode. 

I have no problem saying he was very good this week. Excellent in fact. But doesn't change how disappointed I was with his play at the Browns. He said it, the coaches said it, numerous analysts who broke down the tape said it. And yet it was seen as a radical view here. Apparently McDermott sat down with him 1 to 1 this week and told him to be himself. I hope that was a lightbulb moment because since New England he has become incredibly tentative. This week was much more like weeks 1-3 when I was riding the Allen wave.

He wasnt perfect vs the browns but lots of young QBs are up and down

To be on the franchise wagon after Cincy and dip off within a few games is also silly in the scope of football

Growth is not measured in QBs in 2-4 games but a legitimate 25-30 game scope. It's not constant either , young QBs have hiccups. 

They need to bounce back from them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Going through the first 10 games of the season Josh Allen is sitting at over 63% completion on passes between 10-20 yards..  by my calculations that would put him top 10

I won't give you stats but I'll give you a "picture worth 1000 words" chart or two off of NFL Nextgen Stats.

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Josh Allen.  OH NOES where are the >30 yd completions?

image.png.72935fd7e2cf34ac7f049ebdaafc8880.pngimage.png.a9c93c6a6c7781cae051be44f03d840a.png

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Drew Brees (click to embiggen).  Left is a win; Right is a loss. The take-home is that the "money" part of the field, is from behind the LOS to 15, maybe 20 yds past it.   There are only 5 throws past 20 yds, and they were all incompletions. 

image.thumb.png.c97593297afa5c7d84993b5bc7133e4d.png

Josh Allen will succeed or fail as an NFL QB based on his ability to turn more of those white dots between the LOS and the +20 line green, not based on whether or not he can hit a 30+ yd pass or throw a 300 yd game. (I know you know this, I'm speaking in general)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I won't give you stats but I'll give you a "picture worth 1000 words" chart or two off of NFL Nextgen Stats.

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Josh Allen.  OH NOES where are the >30 yd completions?

image.png.72935fd7e2cf34ac7f049ebdaafc8880.pngimage.png.a9c93c6a6c7781cae051be44f03d840a.png

Here are the last 2 weeks play for Drew Brees (click to embiggen).  Left is a win; Right is a loss. The take-home is that the "money" part of the field, is from behind the LOS to 15, maybe 20 yds past it.   There are only 5 throws past 20 yds, and they were all incompletions. 

image.thumb.png.c97593297afa5c7d84993b5bc7133e4d.png

Josh Allen will succeed or fail as an NFL QB based on his ability to turn more of those white dots between the LOS and the +20 line green, not based on whether or not he can hit a 30+ yd pass or throw a 300 yd game. (I know you know this, I'm speaking in general)

Yes which is why I called the 10-20 yard range the money range

That is where all the action takes place and the widows are tight. If you can succeed there it bodes well to your development

• Thank you (+1) 1