Adam Gase and the decision to cut Jordan Phillips

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

It would be funny to see how the Jests fan would react to that.

First game, their fans were ridiculous in regards to Bell. They wanted him no doubt...only thing they had to look forward to. I'm glad their carrying on has backfired

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was a high draft pick too, going in the first half of the second round. A lot of people thought he'd go in the late first.

Walter Football was pretty high on him: https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015jphillips.php

In this draft scouting report, he's compared to Snacks Harrison: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2410300-jordan-phillips-nfl-draft-2015-scouting-report-grade-for-dolphins-rookie

The larger point is that guys like Phillips aren't always going to be ideal employees, and you have to actually manage them because the talent is there. You can't give up on it. Maybe you trade the player or sit him down, but cutting a talented player like that when you're 3-1 (which is what the Dolphins were after 4 games last season) is just plain dumb. Phillips wasn't his guy -- he was drafted just prior to the last year of the Joe Philbin era -- and Gase's emotional reaction got the best of him (as it did with other players). It certainly worked out for the Bills -- Phillips has been truly disruptive this season. 

Phillips is very athletic for a big guy.  He's at least as strong as you'd expect for a 6'5" 340 lb dude, as will as both quicker and faster.  He was emotionala and maybe a little immature coming out of college.  The problem in Miami was a complete lack of culture.  Beane and McDermott deliberately focused on developing and nurturing a culture that helps bring out the best in players.  Phillips has greatly benefitted.  

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It was a TFL because Fitz attempted a hand-off, but it was a busted play.

I was two rows back, he didn't attempt anything.  It could have been play action ,could have been a handoff, could have been a straight pass .....we'll never know....thx Jordan

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Is there any other Jet players lurking out there that can help the Bills?

Come on Gase, help us out some more!

...LOL....we can just keep scooping up other club's leftovers......a "tip of the cap" to GB's Ted Thompson for Micah Hyde as well......

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I was two rows back, he didn't attempt anything.  It could have been play action ,could have been a handoff, could have been a straight pass .....we'll never know....thx Jordan

3:19 looks like a blown handoff to me.  Phillips blew it up so quick you can't tell really, could have been play action.  I think that's why it's a TFL and not a sack.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001067611/Dolphins-vs-Bills-highlights-Week-7

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ll admit I didn’t think Gase was as bad as people made him out to be. But he seems to have some social issues and is a total weirdo.  He’s probably fine as an OC but isn’t a leader of men.  Happy to admit I’m wrong and that he’s the Jets coach. 

I found the final paragraph here to be very funny. The piece is about his crazy-eyed press conference: https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2019/1/15/18183659/adam-gase-meme-nfl-jets-wtf 

'I was fully prepared to hear there’s some sort of medical reason why Gase looked like he was trying to send a hidden message — but by all accounts there aren’t. Gase went on the radio Tuesday morning and was asked about his eyes, and had no explanation at all.

“I don’t even know what that is,” Gase said on the subject of being an internet meme. “I don’t have Twitter, I don’t have Instagram, I don’t look at the internet, I don’t really watch TV, I watch movies. That’s it. The only time I get to know anything is when somebody tells me.”

There were about 300 ways Gase could have played this off and won everyone back. He could have made a joke about himself, explained he was nervous ... literally anything. Instead, his way of settling everyone’s nerves while his eyes bugged out like Wile E. Coyote was to explain how he’s a 40-year-old man who doesn’t use the internet or watch TV. He is the absolute perfect coach for the Jets.'

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

There must be something about Phillips we dont know...  

Why havent they extended him???

1) From a teams perspective he's a breakout player with a sketchy past whose market hasn't been entirely set yet and from his he took a prove it deal to get PAID top dollar so neither side is probably ready to settle on that yet.

2) The Bills just drafted a guy top 10 overall who plays his position so I'm not even certain they are all in on paying top of the market.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) From a teams perspective he's a breakout player with a sketchy past whose market hasn't been entirely set yet and from his he took a prove it deal to get PAID top dollar so neither side is probably ready to settle on that yet.

2) The Bills just drafted a guy top 10 overall who plays his position so I'm not even certain they are all in on paying top of the market.  

I get the logic.  

You would think it could be a little more team friendly if done before the season is up.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Phillips is very athletic for a big guy.  He's at least as strong as you'd expect for a 6'5" 340 lb dude, as will as both quicker and faster.  He was emotionala and maybe a little immature coming out of college.  The problem in Miami was a complete lack of culture.  Beane and McDermott deliberately focused on developing and nurturing a culture that helps bring out the best in players.  Phillips has greatly benefitted.  

The Highlight of the game sunday for me was

Allen coming to the sideline and 97 Picking up Josh over his head and holding him there.

Blew my mind on more than one level.

Love Mr Phillips as a Bill !