People in search of that elite #1 WR

Having good players never hurts. Add M Thomas, Hopkins, J Jones, etc to this team and they are clearly better. Do you have to have one to win? No. But you could say the same for any position. It is a team sport. You need some form of balance and/or really good players that enable you to win. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Honestly, OL or DL. They need some talent on the edge of the DL.

Ok right now we are projected with the 26th pick.  Here are some players around that value.

Tee Higgins, WR (4th rated WR)

Laviska Shenault, WR (5th rated WR)

Marvin Wilson, IDL (3rd Rated IDL - weaker IDL class)

Yetur Gross-Matos, DE (4th Rated DE)

Julian Okwara, DE (5th rated DE)

So based on looking at it right now based on where we are projected to pick it looks like DE or WR to me

We need more playmakers that is undeniable. Against the really good teams that have multiple DBs like (Balt, NE etc.) guys who can smother a receiver group we are in trouble.  As our receiving unit goes.. so goes Josh Allen. Not many if any QBs who can win against a really good team without multiple playmakers. I mean a couple years ago, the Packers had a group who couldn't get open, and whenever they played a shutdown team even Aaron wasn't enough. John Brown has been great, but don't for a minute think when we play Baltimore, we will have receivers creating separation like yesterday. Even yesterday early in the game, before a couple injuries, our guys were getting little separation.

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Those were all great WRs.  Having great seasons. 

No it's not vital to have a hall of fame #1, but options 2--5 can't be practice squad level bad.

Our #3 wr three weeks ago was literally just on the practice squad.  

Need WRs and DEs here.  

We need to add at least 1 WR to Brown and Beasley but how we add him doesn't have to be a 1st round pick. I think continuing to build the OL may even help Allen more than a WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We should save our first round picks for what position then? 

BPA at a position of need.

Prob DE as they go off the board first, and we have Hughes not getting any younger, an ineffective Murphy at RDE, and Shaq who may test FA.

Then BPA at DB, WR, LB, or OL...could go in a lot of directions.

As far as receivers go they just need to focus on a bigger, physical receiver, who catches with his hands, highpoints, catches contested throws.

Something like a Duke Williams who has been riding the pine while Daboll rolls out the speedy Smurf corps.

Would love to know what the deal is with that because he seemed like he was developing some chemistry with Allen and was throwing great downfield blocks. Then it was healthy scratch, healthy scratch, healthy scratch...

Did he take a dump on Daboll's desk?

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

BPA at a position of need.

Prob DE as they go off the board first, and we have Hughes not getting any younger, an ineffective Murphy at RDE, and Shaq who may test FA.

Then BPA at DB, WR, LB, or OL...could go in a lot of directions.

As far as receivers go they just need to focus on a bigger, physical receiver, who catches with his hands, highpoints, catches contested throws.

Something like a Duke Williams who has been riding the pine while Daboll rolls out the speedy Smurf corps.

Would love to know what the deal is with that because he seemed like he was developing some chemistry with Allen and was throwing great downfield blocks. Then it was healthy scratch, healthy scratch, healthy scratch...

Did he take a dump on Daboll's desk?

What if BPA is a WR?

The patriots run of extended success has skewed a lot of these though.  Did you know 4 of the last 6 super bowls have been won by QBs drafted in the 3rd round or later (in jest).

I don't think it is a secret that you need to have a top quality qb over any other position.  I think DE is as big a need as WR but it doesn't mean that WR isn't a need.  If Allen was a Brady/Rodgers/P Manning level talent then sure but he isn't... yet.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok right now we are projected with the 26th pick.  Here are some players around that value.

Tee Higgins, WR (4th rated WR)

Laviska Shenault, WR (5th rated WR)

Marvin Wilson, IDL (3rd Rated IDL - weaker IDL class)

Yetur Gross-Matos, DE (4th Rated DE)

Julian Okwara, DE (5th rated DE)

So based on looking at it right now based on where we are projected to pick it looks like DE or WR to me

It's really early. Obviously they probably take best available based on roster need, but really this thread is about what is needed to develop Allen best. He doesn't need a top elite WR to get to where we want him to be. He needs a solid group, which he doesn't have right now. We definitely need to add to the WR depth, but it can be mid round picks or even another mid level free agent like Brown and Beasley were.

I agree with the OP. There are not enuf Julios or Hopkins to go around. Brown and Beasley are not HOF guys obviously but they very significantly upgraded our WR corps. Where would we, and Josh, be without them. We need to upgrade again in 2020, not at all necessarily with an "elite" player (though that would be nice) but with good to very good players who bring different above average skillsets to the table to address the different requirements presented by different game situations. With any luck they should be able to do that. This O also needs another RB. There is plenty of evidence that again, with some luck, you can find a really good one in the mid to late rounds. O-line obviously needs some attention, but if the Bills can address those needs, and if Daboll can settle down with better talent and properly implement his offence you could quite easily see a much more potent and consistent performance next year on that side of the ball. That's when and where I would expect a major step forward for Allen and his teammates. 

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

What if BPA is a WR?

Usually a defensive player, and we have a defensive-minded HC.

WR...I don't see happening as the first Bills pick, but you can bookmark this post and see if I am right after the draft.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's really early. Obviously they probably take best available based on roster need, but really this thread is about what is needed to develop Allen best. He doesn't need a top elite WR to get to where we want him to be. He needs a solid group, which he doesn't have right now. We definitely need to add to the WR depth, but it can be mid round picks or even another mid level free agent like Brown and Beasley were.

I think Allen has a solid group around him. However he needs that elite player that takes the pressure off the other players and opens up the offense. A guy he can throw that 50-50 ball too and you can expect him to make a tough play. 

I will say that I would prefer an elite DE over WR any day of the week though.

Edited by billieve420

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Different ways.  I personally would go with say Higgins.

Brown/Higgins- Outside

Beasley - Slot

Knox - TE

That is a legit  wide Offense.

Us the UFA to go and buy your pass rush. (granted it is early but much better options here than in the draft or WR options with the likes of 

Clowney

Ansah

Ngakoue

Lawson

Also some Nice DEs with the 2nd rd round grade in draft too.

Way to early to be talking about this, but a nice Stud WR will help Allen and the offense more than not.  Heck tell m a DK Metcalf or a Courtland Sutton (Both future elite WRs) would not be legit

Edited by MAJBobby